[EE] Resistor temperature rise
Bob Blick
2018-01-16 19:15:17 UTC
What techniques are most effective in keeping power resistors from desoldering themselves from PC boards? I'm thinking there are basically three methods:

1. Don't use them at anywhere near their rated power. That's fine except if you need to tolerate the occasional overload condition.

2. Pour extra copper on and around the pads.

3. Use as much length of the wire leads as possible. That could really decrease the rigidity of the mounting.

4. ??

Attached is a picture of the temperature chart. I'm using the 5 watt AC05. Note the 260 degree K rise at rated power.

If I fold or clinch the leads it will keep the resistor from falling out, but the solder is going to melt. I imagine that won't give the greatest electrical connection :)

Datasheet here:

http://www.vishay.com/docs/28730/acac-at.pdf

Thanks,

Bob
Richard Prosser
2018-01-16 19:48:40 UTC
The old-school way was as shown below - bend the leads around in a loop and
space the resistor off the pcb to permit airflow. But not very vibration
friendly! Adding a topside solder fillet may make the joint more rugged

Or use a larger resistor that can be properly clamped & heatsunk.

RP

Mark Rages
2018-01-16 19:56:01 UTC
Power resistors are often spaced off the board with two short pieces
of spaghetti tubing.

If you use metal-housed resistors you can bolt them to a heatsink.

Regards,
Mark

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 12:48 PM, Richard Prosser <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> The old-school way was as shown below - bend the leads around in a loop and
> space the resistor off the pcb to permit airflow. But not very vibration
> friendly! Adding a topside solder fillet may make the joint more rugged
>
> Or use a larger resistor that can be properly clamped & heatsunk.
>
> RP
>
> On 17 January 2018 at 08:15, Bob Blick <***@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> What techniques are most effective in keeping power resistors from
>> desoldering themselves from PC boards? I'm thinking there are basically
>> three methods:
>>
>> 1. Don't use them at anywhere near their rated power. That's fine except
>> if you need to tolerate the occasional overload condition.
>>
>> 2. Pour extra copper on and around the pads.
>>
>> 3. Use as much length of the wire leads as possible. That could really
>> decrease the rigidity of the mounting.
>>
>> 4. ??
>>
>> Attached is a picture of the temperature chart. I'm using the 5 watt AC05.
>> Note the 260 degree K rise at rated power.
>>
>> If I fold or clinch the leads it will keep the resistor from falling out,
>> but the solder is going to melt. I imagine that won't give the greatest
>> electrical connection :)
>>
>> Datasheet here:
>>
>> http://www.vishay.com/docs/28730/acac-at.pdf
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bob
>> --

Regards,
Mark
***@gmail
John Gardner
2018-01-16 19:49:50 UTC
Heat-sink the resistor?

Van Horn, David
2018-01-16 20:34:16 UTC
I take it water cooling is out.

No real magic here bud, you gotta let the heat flow one way or the other, or the temperature will rise till it does.

Bob Blick
2018-01-16 21:17:41 UTC
So basically they sell 5 watt resistors but if you solder them you can't push more than 2.5 watts out of them? I've looked at a lot of datasheets lately, and none of them make any mention at all about connection or mounting methods.

Bob

2018-01-16 21:23:20 UTC
Creative specmanship. The resistors themselves are rated at 5W.
They either have materials that will tolerate the temperature, or somewhere in a footnote on page 97 of the spec, give you a spec for thermal resistance to environment or some such.

2018-01-17 00:08:19 UTC
As you know, Bob, many component vendors do practice fuzzy specsmanship.
However, I think resistors are rather mild in this case. For example, it is
standard practice for MOSFET vendors to rate their FETs according to the
amount of current they could carry if you somehow magically kept the case
at 25 deg C.This means that they only have to account for the junction to
case thermal impedance as well as the heating in the leads of the package.
In real life you will NEVER get away with that much current for more than a
split second.

As I understand it, for through-hole resistors, the rating is the max power
the resistor can dissipate continuously, in free air (i.e., not mounted to
a PCB) with the surrounding air at 25 deg C, for some specified lifetime,
without changing its resistance value by more than X percent.

A good and generally accepted rule of thumb is that you can use a resistor
at up to half its rated power, continuously, soldered to a PCB, provided
that there are no other significant sources of heat in the vicinity of the
resistor AND the air temperature in the enclosure (if there is one) is not
much above 25 C even considering the dissipation from the resistor. This
includes the PCB traces leading to the resistor - they must be large enough
that they have negligible heating from the current passing through them. I
had a board once where the (low value current sense) resistors lifted the
traces off the board because I failed to take into account that the traces
and the resistors would both generate heat. In other words, the resistor
alone was within its specs and the traces were sized properly according to
PCB trace width calculators but both of those ratings assume that their
contribution is by far dominant but in this case, the heat from the
resistor heated the copper just enough that it went into thermal runaway at
the continuous operating current.

Bob Blick
2018-01-17 06:27:48 UTC
A funny thing, though, is that I originally was using 2 watt resistors(metal oxide and also a different brand) and got these 5 watt wirewound ones hoping for a little cooler running. But comparing the graphs in their datasheets I noticed that, at 2 watts, the 5 watt and 2 watt resistors both showed very similar temperature rise. I would have thought the larger size of the 5 watt resistors would have had some effect. I have not measured the actual temperature rise though, who knows. Obviously the wirewound resistors can withstand a higher operating temperature than the metal oxide ones. Long term operation is not high power, I just wanted a little extra headroom for temporary overloads.

Cheerful regards,

Bob

John Gardner
2018-01-17 09:54:16 UTC
I guess there's a reason data sheets are (usually) anonymous?

RussellMc
2018-01-17 10:44:52 UTC
On 17 January 2018 at 22:54, John Gardner <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess there's a reason data sheets are (usually) anonymous?

​Only if you want them to be. Often enough.

Genuine tale:
When looking at Asian data sheets
​(mostly but not only LEDs) ​
whose claims appeared suspect (and often the rest as well) I'd look for a
phrase that seemed liable to be unique to the data sheet concerned and
web-search for it. This quite often turned up a series of datasheets using
the same unlikely to be used phrase - often in data sheets for dissimilar
products (eg LEDs of a different power or colour) - and often from other
suppliers. Where it may have mattered it was often possible to trace the
data sheet :family" back to a parent from a (believed to be) known
reputable manufacturer.

Russell

View/change your membership op
s***@agilent.com
2018-01-22 23:02:02 UTC
Damned physics! ;o)

Time is the key here - you mention headroom for temporary overloads. What detects the overload? What interrupts the overload? How soon does it operate? What is the normal load?

Assuming that the normal load keeps the temperature rise within acceptable bounds, the time taken to interrupt the overload will determine the temperature rise you see in the resistor during the fault. If that time is indefinite, you need to deal with the excessive temperature through heatsinking or airflow or both. It is hard to get around P = I^2R. The thing the 5W buys you is some time. The greater heat capacity of the body, the greater surface area, etc. etc. means the time to reach critical temperature will be longer.

Given that this is for surviving fault conditions, I would be reluctant to add heatsinking just for that (COG, reliability, manufacturability etc.). Rather , add earlier detection and interruption of the fault. If critical, with some redundancy (COG ;o) ).

As an aside, while it does provide extra cooling to the resistor, the another (main?) reason for mounting power resistors off the PCB is to limit scorching of the board and possible delamination. This can happen well before solder melts.

Stephen

Bob Blick
2018-01-23 17:03:41 UTC
Hi Stephen,

I was hoping to buy a little time and prevent scorching and self-desoldering by using 5W instead of 2W resistors. But when I compared the spec sheets between the two resistors, at 2 watts the temperature rise is very similar. I don't really see how that can be, the 5W resistor is larger so I'd assume it would run cooler at the same power levels.

In some configurations there will be a thermal cutout on the power transistors, we'll see whether that activates before or after the resistors fail or do board damage.

Thanks,

Bob

Allen Mulvey
2018-01-23 20:43:50 UTC
Most of you are probably aware of this but I had never seen
them before. Power resistors that stand on end and have feet
to keep them away from the board:
http://www.newark.com/w/c/passive-components/resistors-fixed
-value?range=inc-in-stock&st=sq&CMP=e-email-Buyer-230118-TE&
et_cid=29759719&et_rid=1338645273&cmp=

Allen

[...]

http://www.piclist.com/techref/piclist PIC/SX FAQ & list
archive
Clint Jay
2018-01-23 20:56:58 UTC
This style of resistor:

https://www.jameco.com/z/212-7-2-Watt-6-8-Ohm-Ceramic-Wirewound-Resistor_2159752.html

can have all sorts of mounting hardware to dissipate heat (I've seen them
with fins), act as a board protecting stand off and even as a very simple
fusible link that needs a soldering iron to reset

David C Brown
2018-01-16 21:53:30 UTC
High melting point solder?

On Tuesday, 16 January 2018, Bob Blick <***@outlook.com> wrote:

> What techniques are most effective in keeping power resistors from
> desoldering themselves from PC boards? I'm thinking there are basically
> three methods:
>
> 1. Don't use them at anywhere near their rated power. That's fine except
> if you need to tolerate the occasional overload condition.
>
> 2. Pour extra copper on and around the pads.
>
> 3. Use as much length of the wire leads as possible. That could really
> decrease the rigidity of the mounting.
>
> 4. ??
>
> Attached is a picture of the temperature chart. I'm using the 5 watt AC05.
> Note the 260 degree K rise at rated power.
>
> If I fold or clinch the leads it will keep the resistor from falling out,
> but the solder is going to melt. I imagine that won't give the greatest
> electrical connection :)
>
> Datasheet here:
>
> http://www.vishay.com/docs/28730/acac-at.pdf
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak Phone: 01663 733236
Derbyshire eMail: ***@gmail.com
SK23 7ND web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>

*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
mbaum7901
2018-01-16 22:18:06 UTC
One approach is a mechanical rather than solder connection to the resistor
lead.
1. Tack or spot weld
2. Crimp
3. Screw terminal

The resistor wattage rating and corresponding temperature rise curves
describe what you can do with the resistor before the resistor fails (burst
into flames). The actual resistor wattage selection is then a function of
the system design.

The 5 watt resistor is really good for 5 watts if the system usage has the
resistor body and leads in contact with surfaces that can withstand the
resulting temperatures.

I am currently repairing a Ford F-250 overhead display console which has
1206 resistors that run so hot that they melt the solder and fall off the
board.

Van Horn, David
2018-01-16 22:46:11 UTC
"I am currently repairing a Ford F-250 overhead display console which has
1206 resistors that run so hot that they melt the solder and fall off the board."

And these guys will design the computers which drive our cars......

John Gardner
2018-01-16 23:07:57 UTC
Found On Road Dead...
Allen Mulvey
2018-01-16 23:08:09 UTC
If I recall correctly there was some Korean War era stuff
that had spot welds.

Allen

mbaum7901
2018-01-16 23:24:37 UTC
I have seen the electrical connections to heating elements be spot welds.

mike brown
2018-01-16 23:42:36 UTC
Lots of solders available with much higher melting points. Any reason you
can't use those?

Peter
2018-01-16 23:08:05 UTC
Back in the late 80's to early 90's when just starting out in
engineering at a tv station. My mentor, had this issue on many power
supplies, they designed and built, back then. All their engineering was
custom and done in house. He and his other colleagues solved this
plaguing issue in a very unconventional way, but very reliable way,
which I remember well.

1. Soldered brass tubes to the legs, inserting the ceramic resistor leg
into the tube and filling with solder;
2. Tube diameter, was chosen, based on previous experimenting, not sure
now, maybe 3mm to 6mm;
3. Extended the legs if it was required;
4. Moulded the resistor in either cement, concrete or other ceramics
(unsure now), in a 2 or 4 litre ice cream container size (about
that, sometimes bigger), with the brass tubes now the resistor legs,
which then all mounted to the custom part of the PCB;
5. Sometimes, they moulded a coiled brass or copper pipe inside, and
pumped water through as well;

These systems worked commercially day and night for many years in the
stations environment, were never turned off, they just worked.

Because space was not an issue, they needed reliability. I even think
they reduced their breakdowns to nil for that particular section.

So may not be able to be implemented, but thought I'd share anyway.

Was very interesting!

Peter

RussellMc
2018-01-16 23:56:30 UTC
In prototyping use I have added soldered on brass shim heat-sink flags to
power diodes and to power resistors.
Worked OK in that context.

In your context - if you run the resistor so that it is withing spec for
desired lifetime at operating temperature most of the heta loss must be by
radiation, with the leads then largely providing mechanical and electrical
connection.
The object is then to have leads which provide adequate mechanical support
and which LIMIT heat transmission to the board. Lengthening the leads AND
heat flagging them in some manner at tghe PCB end and not all the way up to
the resistor may [tm] act similarly to a simple RC filter with the lead
limiting energy flow rate and the flag having to deal with the energy that
does pass down the lead. This increases the temperature of the resistor
above what it would otherwise be at and reduces board temperature.

An 'adequate' result may be achievable by each coiling the leads in a tight
spiral so that thermal conductivity is much reduced. This could perhaps be
done aroung an insulatorv which is left in place to add mechanical
robustness. (Something like Richard's second drawing but with many small
turns. Electrical resistance rises slightly due to longer leads. Inductance
may be an issue depending on application.

Russell
John Ferrell
2018-01-18 02:13:35 UTC
Silver Solder or brazing?

On 1/16/2018 2:15 PM, Bob Blick wrote:
> What techniques are most effective in keeping power resistors from desoldering themselves from PC boards? I'm thinking there are basically three methods:

--
John Ferrell W8CCW
Julian NC 27283

Forrest Christian (List Account)
2018-01-23 21:55:38 UTC
Since this thread seems to be still alive, I'll add my $0.02:

The degrees rise figure is the typically body temperature, not the
temperature of the leads at the board, which be much cooler. Note that
on page 10 of the datasheet you linked it shows recommended lead
termination bending, effectively offseting the resistor off of the board by
8mm. I was trying to find a good thermal camera picture to show this, the
closest was at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e-qIjttIIY&t=134s , at 1:57
in, there is a thermal camera pic which shows the leads basically being
cold, while the resistor body itself being hot. I wouldn't be surprised
to find that when mounted as recommended, the units will not desolder from
the board.

Personally I try to run things as cool as possible, if I was engineering
for 5W dissipation, I would use at minimum a 7.5W if not a 10W resistor.
Unless I was *very* sure of the engineering.

Also, be mindful that the rating is at 40*C ambient *around the resistor*.
If you don't provide adequate airflow around the resistor to eliminate a
thermal air hotspot around the resistor, you're actually going to have an
even lower rating.

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 12:15 PM, Bob Blick <***@outlook.com> wrote:

> What techniques are most effective in keeping power resistors from
> desoldering themselves from PC boards? I'm thinking there are basically
> three methods:
>
> 1. Don't use them at anywhere near their rated power. That's fine except
> if you need to tolerate the occasional overload condition.
>
> 2. Pour extra copper on and around the pads.
>
> 3. Use as much length of the wire leads as possible. That could really
> decrease the rigidity of the mounting.
>
> 4. ??
>
> Attached is a picture of the temperature chart. I'm using the 5 watt AC05.
> Note the 260 degree K rise at rated power.
>
> If I fold or clinch the leads it will keep the resistor from falling out,
> but the solder is going to melt. I imagine that won't give the greatest
> electrical connection :)
>
> Datasheet here:
>
> http://www.vishay.com/docs/28730/acac-at.pdf
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob
> --

*Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
***@imach.com | http://www.packetflux.com
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian> <http://facebook.com/packetflux>
<http://twitter.com/@packetflux>
Van Horn, David
2018-01-23 22:10:34 UTC
Search the archives for instances of "Low voltage the incompetent ignition source" with regard to some fun I had years ago with a failed H-Bridge that couldn't get rid of heat fast enough.
The 1W average input power from the switcher (in hiccup mode) was enough to take the board from failed to flaming and to keep it there.

Redesign of the H bridge solved the issue, and relayout of the PCB with lots of copper pour assured that even if the new design failed, the heat dissipation was good enough to keep the temperatures down.

Sean Breheny
2018-01-23 23:53:25 UTC
Nice demo video but please be aware that thermal images of unpainted
metallic parts can be misleading. A perfect mirror-like surface would
actually show the temperature of the surroundings, not its own temperature.
A real typical clean metal surface will show a weighted average of its
surroundings and its own temperature, with the contribution from its own
temperature being about 30% of what a perfect blackbody would radiate at
the same temperature. A tarnished or oxidized metal surface can have an
emissivity which is much closer to ideal, typically 60 to 80%. However, it
is best to always use an organic material when measuring temperature
thermographically because almost all organic materials are within 10% of a
true blackbody so you don't have to worry about calibrating the camera for
your particular surface.

To make a long story short, the leads of a resistor will usually appear
cooler than they really are in a thermal image.

2018-01-24 01:51:10 UTC
I agree with your assessment of this video, as far as the accuracy of the
relative temperatures of the wires. However, it's still true that the
center of the resistor is likely to be much hotter than the leads.
Whenever I've had to deal with something like this, I've ended up
attaching a thermocouple (or thermocouples) at the relevant points to
directly measure the temperatures at the interesting points to validate
expectations.

I really wish I could find the excellent appnote or discussion in a
textbook somewhere that I specifically remembered discussing the whole
thermal environment around leaded power resistors, and how to deal with
these issues, including how to predict the temperature at the leads.

Bob Blick
2018-01-25 17:48:17 UTC
Hi Forrest,
Good points, and thanks for the video. I decided to test for myself, so I made a string of 2W metal oxide resistors connected to a power supply and cranked it up so the resistors were at 2W each. With full leads, 8mm from any surface and 21C ambient.

Using .4mm(0.15") 63/37 solder for my test, solder melted quickly on the body of the resistor. But I could not get solder to melt on the leads at all. Attached is a picture with a small piece of solder wrapped tightly about 1mm from the resistor body. After 20 minutes there wasn't even any flux escaping from the ends of the solder.

A magnet sticks to the leads of these resistors. Most power resistors seem to have similar leads. I have another (more expensive) brand that are non-magnetic, and although their datasheet shows the leads as "CuFe" they are not more specific and I did not do a solder test on them.

In summary, this makes me feel good. I wanted to rule out failures due to resistors desoldering and falling out of the board. Using lead-free solder will give me an extra 10-15 degrees of margin for high ambient conditions. Board scorching is another risk, so I will space them off the board as much as reasonable.

As I've mentioned before, I'm only worried about a temporary overload condition until other safety systems kick in. Under normal conditions the resistors will be dissipating under 1W.

Thanks to everyone for your input, this has been fun.

Bob

the board.
Forrest Christian (List Account)
2018-01-25 19:16:40 UTC
If you want to be triple safe, do some of the additional things you
suggested in your original post. Probably not necessary, but I always
tend to overengineer anything which takes any amount of heat (having had
components fall of boards myself, although usually only surface mount fets
and/or regulators in fault conditions). The biggest thing I've discovered
is to put as much outer-layer copper as possible at the component leads, as
this will help pull heat away from the joint as well.

But I'm glad to hear that theory and past experience worked in this case ;)