[OT] Harbor Freight Cases
Van Horn, David
2017-10-30 16:31:47 UTC
Harbor freight now has three cases which will strongly remind you of "Pelican" cases, but with a much lower price.
I picked up one of the large cases, roughly like a pelican 1500 for <$40.
Cool projects need cool cases.

--
David VanHorn
Lead Hardware Engineer

Backcountry Access, Inc.
2820 Wilderness Pl, Unit H
Boulder, CO 80301 USA
phone: 303-417-1345 x110
email: ***@backcountryaccess.com<mailto:***@backcountryaccess.com>

Byron Jeff
2017-10-30 17:36:33 UTC
David,

What is the Harbor Freight part number?

BAJ

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 04:31:47PM +0000, Van Horn, David wrote:
> Harbor freight now has three cases which will strongly remind you of "Pelican" cases, but with a much lower price.
> I picked up one of the large cases, roughly like a pelican 1500 for <$40.
> Cool projects need cool cases.
>

> --
> David VanHorn
> Lead Hardware Engineer
>
> Backcountry Access, Inc.
> 2820 Wilderness Pl, Unit H
> Boulder, CO 80301 USA
> phone: 303-417-1345 x110
> email: ***@backcountryaccess.com<mailto:***@backcountryaccess.com>
>
> --

Byron A. Jeff
Associate Professor: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://faculty.clayton.edu/bjeff
Van Horn, David
2017-10-30 18:00:01 UTC
Small is 63518
Medium is 63926
I haven't found the large online, and mine is sitting at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v7dZtfvudo

Bob Blick
2017-10-31 21:44:39 UTC
I was at HF today and saw the case, it's nice. They call it "Apache 3800", the stock number is 63927. $39.99 and their new coupon policy probably means you won't get it for less if you use a coupon.

See attached picture.

Bob

Van Horn, David
2017-10-31 22:25:51 UTC
There's a blank plate inside the handle area that slides out, perfect for replacing with an engraved metal plate.

2017-11-30 17:12:43 UTC
Bob,

I'm confused about a "new coupon policy" in terms of Harbor Freight. Has
something changed? In the long distant past it was possible to stack
coupons where on a single item you could use an item specific coupon and
then stack a 20% or 25% coupon on top of it. But that practice disappeared
long ago. There would be no problem applying a 20% coupon to the $39.99
price and pick the item up for a bit less than $32. Their system
automatically applies the 20% coupon to the highest priced eligible item.
It's also possible to use a 20/25% coupon on a sale item, which doesn't
require a coupon to purchase.

I suggest anyone going to Harbor Freight to take a pass through the Harbor
Freight coupon database website before heading out. Every current coupon in
the company is loaded there. Typically I'll apply an item specific coupon
if it's more than 20/25%, then 20/25% to a sale item, and finally I always
grab a free multimeter using their ever present free multimeter coupon.

BAJ

Denny Esterline
2017-11-30 20:09:24 UTC
Not sure if it's the site Byron had in mind, but for Harbor Freight coupons
- http://www.hfqpdb.com/ I pull it up on my phone and use it in-store.

As to "policy" questions - do note the fine print on the coupons. There are
several specific categories and specific name brands that are excluded from
the %off type coupons.

Bob Blick
2017-12-01 02:20:36 UTC
Hi Byron,

I don't order from the website, all my experience is with in-store policies. My office is 1 mile from a store, so I probably go there once every month or so. Up until a few months ago, if you used a 20%-off coupon, it applied to the price on the shelf tag. In other words, if the shelf tag was $10, you'd pay $8, unless it was an excluded brand or type(like air compressors or welders).

But now, it also depends on the color of the shelf tag. If the tag is red-ish, you only get 20% off the"fine-print price" printed on the tag.

The friendly (yes, this is a nice Harbor Freight store, must have a decent manager) clerks acknowledged the change in coupon policy.

I assume this is a system-wide policy change.

Regarding the free multimeters, I collect them and give them out once a year to groups of interested youths. What fun! :) But be aware of the 1 megohm input resistance when you use them.

Friendly regards,

Van Horn, David
2017-12-01 15:31:37 UTC
The small cases are on sale for $9.99 limit 6. I got four last night, plus another large with the 20% any one item coupon.

RussellMc
2017-12-01 22:35:43 UTC
On 1 December 2017 at 16:46, Lee piclist <lee-***@jccwerks.com> wrote:

> BOB SAID
>

> ​
> > Regarding the free multimeters, I collect them and give them
> > out once a year to groups of interested youths. What fun! :)
> > But be aware of the 1 megohm input resistance when you use them.
>
> ​LEE SAID

> One thing to keep in mind. I have a Harbor Freight DVM; it
> wasn't reading the same voltage as my Fluke -- about 10% off.
> In my unit, I found the problem was the weakening 9V battery.
> Raw battery output voltage appears to be the reference voltage.
> A new 9V battery brought DVM back into reasonable accuracy.
>
> ​That may be worth quantifying.
Various cheap multimeters I have used have "OK" accuracy down to a certain
battery voltage and 'get bad' after that.
Such often have no low-battery indicator.
It may be worth testing the HF multimeters with a fixed input voltage and
varing the "battery voltage" with a psu to see ​if there is an OK/Bad limit
voltage or if they degrade lineraly with battery voltage.

I'd expect that even the most incompetent of MM designers had learned
about zener diodes or clamp regulators. Maybe not.

Russell
http://mailman.mit.edu/mail
Bob Blick
2017-12-01 23:21:56 UTC
They are based on the ICL7107 and have internal reference. But no low-bat indicator, so when the battery is low they just go off-spec. And with the supplied carbon-zinc 9V battery, the battery can still have plenty of no-load voltage but be low in use.

BB

http://mailm
s***@interlog.com
2017-12-02 05:07:20 UTC
Quoting RussellMc <***@gmail.com>:

> On 1 December 2017 at 16:46, Lee piclist <lee-***@jccwerks.com> wrote:
>

>> BOB SAID
>>

>> ​
>> > Regarding the free multimeters, I collect them and give them
>> > out once a year to groups of interested youths. What fun! :)
>> > But be aware of the 1 megohm input resistance when you use them.
>>
>> ​LEE SAID
> ​
>

>> One thing to keep in mind. I have a Harbor Freight DVM; it
>> wasn't reading the same voltage as my Fluke -- about 10% off.
>> In my unit, I found the problem was the weakening 9V battery.
>> Raw battery output voltage appears to be the reference voltage.
>> A new 9V battery brought DVM back into reasonable accuracy.
>>
>> ​That may be worth quantifying.
> Various cheap multimeters I have used have "OK" accuracy down to a certain
> battery voltage and 'get bad' after that.
> Such often have no low-battery indicator.
> It may be worth testing the HF multimeters with a fixed input voltage and
> varing the "battery voltage" with a psu to see ​if there is an OK/Bad limit
> voltage or if they degrade lineraly with battery voltage.
>
> I'd expect that even the most incompetent of MM designers had learned
> about zener diodes or clamp regulators. Maybe not.
>

> Russell

Hi,

The cheap ones tend to use ICL7106 or clones, which have a cheap and nasty
zener internal to the chip. I quote the datasheet and their ringing
endorsement:

"However, analog COMMON has some of the attributes of a reference
voltage. When the total supply voltage is large enough to cause
the zener to regulate (>7V), the COMMON voltage will have a low
voltage coefficient (0.001%/V), low output impedance (15Ω),
and a temperature coefficient typically less than 80ppm/×°C."

I guess it is intended to make the designer think twice "Hey, I want it
to have **all** the attributes of a reference voltage". 7V "typical" is not
terrible for a 9V alkaline battery- doesn't leave too much charge on the
table.

http://mailman.m