Crowbar-ish input protection?
Neil
2017-12-13 20:54:01 UTC
I want to protect an ADC or op-amp input from over-voltage and I'm
wondering what common options exist for this? Google is giving me a lot
of crowbar circuits or just a zener across the input, but the max
allowed voltage is not too far away from the max measurable voltage I need.
I don't really want to short the input either, but gently limit it.
Could I use a crowbar-like circuit, but instead of switching on an SCR
to short the input, I would switch on a MOSFET with a series zener
instead? This way, the zener only comes into the picture when the
voltage has been exceeded, and I microcontroller would have indication
that it's in overvoltage condition.
Or is there something simpler?

Cheers,
-Neil.

Jason White
2017-12-13 21:32:25 UTC
In my opinion tying to avoid the zener type protection circuit is
going to make things more complex for you.

If it were me, I would use a resistor divider on the input in order to
get sufficient margin for the protection circuitry to work.

Without knowing what you are measuring and how you are measuring it is
difficult to say more. Are you tying to protect from ESD type events
(fast rise time)?

-Jason White

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 3:54 PM, Neil <***@narwani.org> wrote:
> I want to protect an ADC or op-amp input from over-voltage and I'm
> wondering what common options exist for this? Google is giving me a lot
> of crowbar circuits or just a zener across the input, but the max
> allowed voltage is not too far away from the max measurable voltage I need.
> I don't really want to short the input either, but gently limit it.
> Could I use a crowbar-like circuit, but instead of switching on an SCR
> to short the input, I would switch on a MOSFET with a series zener
> instead? This way, the zener only comes into the picture when the
> voltage has been exceeded, and I microcontroller would have indication
> that it's in overvoltage condition.
> Or is there something simpler?
>
> Cheers,
> -Neil.
>

> --

Jason White
Neil
2017-12-13 23:08:49 UTC
This is not for ESD protection, but for external sensors connected to a
product (usually up to 5V out from the sensors, but every so often
someone puts 12V to it).
With a PIC at 3.3V, and the input voltage-divided so the ADC sees up to
2.5V, a 3-ish volt zener still affects the signal at 2.5V. I can't
voltage-divide too much more as the PIC has a lower limit for Vref, and
I want to capitalize on the ADC bits as much as possible anyway.
I do have current limiting between the voltage divider and the PIC, but
thinking of being more formal about this as people are now using this
with up to 42V nearby and it's only a matter of time before the input
gets a taste of that.

Cheers,
-Neil

2017-12-14 02:33:25 UTC
Quoting Neil <***@narwani.org>:

> This is not for ESD protection, but for external sensors connected to a
> product (usually up to 5V out from the sensors, but every so often
> someone puts 12V to it).
> With a PIC at 3.3V, and the input voltage-divided so the ADC sees up to
> 2.5V, a 3-ish volt zener still affects the signal at 2.5V. I can't
> voltage-divide too much more as the PIC has a lower limit for Vref, and
> I want to capitalize on the ADC bits as much as possible anyway.
> I do have current limiting between the voltage divider and the PIC, but
> thinking of being more formal about this as people are now using this
> with up to 42V nearby and it's only a matter of time before the input
> gets a taste of that.
>
> Cheers,
> -Neil

Hi, Neil:-

So you have 800mV headroom to spare? That's not too hard. Assuming
you're not too concerned about power:

TL431 with resistor to +3.3, biasing it at a bit over
1mA. That's gives you a clamp at 2.495V nominal that
can handle 100mA continuously.

Then your series resistor or divider source Z and a silicon diode
such as LL4148 or BAV99 to the clamp (multiple inputs can share
one clamp). Total cost about a penny in volume.

Typical simulated error with 2.4K source Z and 25 degrees C
Ta is less than 10uV at +2.53V in, and about +0.3mV at 80 degrees C
and 2.53V in, due to diode leakage. That's less than 1/2 LSB for a
12-bit ADC. Do not use a Schottky diode- even a small such diode will
introduce perhaps 100x as much error typically under the same conditions.

100mA represents a maximum input voltage of more than 200V through
2.4K and the clamped voltage typically won't exceed 3V even so. Resistor
power dissipation has to be considered, of course.

It's a bad idea, IMHO, to depend on the MCU protection diodes for this
sort of thing, doubly so if you hope other things to work properly
while it's being so abused.

--sp

Brent Brown
2017-12-13 22:10:25 UTC
On 13 Dec 2017 at 15:54, Neil wrote:

> I want to protect an ADC or op-amp input from over-voltage and I'm
> wondering what common options exist for this? Google is giving me a lot
> of crowbar circuits or just a zener across the input, but the max
> allowed voltage is not too far away from the max measurable voltage I need.
> I don't really want to short the input either, but gently limit it.
> Could I use a crowbar-like circuit, but instead of switching on an SCR
> to short the input, I would switch on a MOSFET with a series zener
> instead? This way, the zener only comes into the picture when the
> voltage has been exceeded, and I microcontroller would have indication
> that it's in overvoltage condition.
> Or is there something simpler?

Attached clamp (not crowbar) circuit has good performance. Reccomended by a
PIClister 10 or more years ago, can't immediately find the reference. The issue was
Microchip data sheets started specifiying operating specs with reduced input range
of 0.3V above and below supply rails ~ harder to achieve with diode clamps or
zeners.

The two transistors in the top circuit set up bias points 1 x Vbe above GND and 1 x
Vbe below supply. The two transistors in the bottom circuit do the clamping. The
key point is the 1 x Vbe required to turn each clamping transistor on is balanced out
by the offset bias points, resulting in clamping relatively close to each supply rail.
Also, the transistor gain makes clamping a little sharper than say a zener. The
bottom circuit can be repeated multiple times for multiple inputs and use the same
bias circuit. It looks a little complex, but the performance is much better than most
simpler circuits. To reduce component count/save space I've sometimes used
BC847BPN dual complimentary NPN/PNP transistor arrays.
Neil
2017-12-13 23:30:47 UTC
This is pretty neat. I need to mock this up and try it.

Cheers,
-Neil.

Mario
2018-01-26 14:01:42 UTC
At 23:10 2017-12-13, Brent Brown wrote:
>On 13 Dec 2017 at 15:54, Neil wrote:
>
>> I want to protect an ADC or op-amp input from over-voltage and I'm
>> wondering what common options exist for this? Google is giving me a lot
>> of crowbar circuits or just a zener across the input, but the max
>> allowed voltage is not too far away from the max measurable voltage I need.
>> I don't really want to short the input either, but gently limit it.
>> Could I use a crowbar-like circuit, but instead of switching on an SCR
>> to short the input, I would switch on a MOSFET with a series zener
>> instead? This way, the zener only comes into the picture when the
>> voltage has been exceeded, and I microcontroller would have indication
>> that it's in overvoltage condition.
>> Or is there something simpler?
>
>Attached clamp (not crowbar) circuit has good performance. Reccomended by a
>PIClister 10 or more years ago, can't immediately find the reference.
>The issue was
>Microchip data sheets started specifiying operating specs with reduced
>input range
>of 0.3V above and below supply rails ~ harder to achieve with diode clamps or
>zeners.
>
>The two transistors in the top circuit set up bias points 1 x Vbe
>above GND and 1 x
>Vbe below supply. The two transistors in the bottom circuit do the
>clamping. The
>key point is the 1 x Vbe required to turn each clamping transistor on
>is balanced out
>by the offset bias points, resulting in clamping relatively close to
>each supply rail.
>Also, the transistor gain makes clamping a little sharper than say a
>zener. The
>bottom circuit can be repeated multiple times for multiple inputs and
>use the same
>bias circuit. It looks a little complex, but the performance is much
>better than most
>simpler circuits. To reduce component count/save space I've sometimes used
>BC847BPN dual complimentary NPN/PNP transistor arrays.

Hello, I'm probably saying something stupid, but in reality I'm asking:

why would this circuit that you shared (and that I am re-attaching) would
be preferable to a simple pair of schottky diodes to the supply rails?
This only assuming that the input is driven by a low impedence input of
course, as the schottky has a significant reverse current flow, but I
think it can be assumed because if it was a high impedance source, then
there would be little need to protect the ADC input beyond the protection
diodes already in the PIC.

Thank you.

With kind regards,
Mario
Brent Brown
2018-01-26 23:08:47 UTC
On 26 Jan 2018 at 15:01, Mario wrote:
> At 23:10 2017-12-13, Brent Brown wrote:
> >On 13 Dec 2017 at 15:54, Neil wrote:
> >
> >> I want to protect an ADC or op-amp input from over-voltage and I'm
> >> wondering what common options exist for this? Google is giving me a lot
> >> of crowbar circuits or just a zener across the input, but the max
> >> allowed voltage is not too far away from the max measurable voltage I need.
> >> I don't really want to short the input either, but gently limit it.
> >> Could I use a crowbar-like circuit, but instead of switching on an SCR
> >> to short the input, I would switch on a MOSFET with a series zener
> >> instead? This way, the zener only comes into the picture when the
> >> voltage has been exceeded, and I microcontroller would have indication
> >> that it's in overvoltage condition.
> >> Or is there something simpler?
> >
> >Attached clamp (not crowbar) circuit has good performance. Reccomended by a
> >PIClister 10 or more years ago, can't immediately find the reference.
> >The issue was
> >Microchip data sheets started specifiying operating specs with reduced
> >input range
> >of 0.3V above and below supply rails ~ harder to achieve with diode clamps or
> >zeners.
> >
> >The two transistors in the top circuit set up bias points 1 x Vbe
> >above GND and 1 x
> >Vbe below supply. The two transistors in the bottom circuit do the
> >clamping. The
> >key point is the 1 x Vbe required to turn each clamping transistor on
> >is balanced out
> >by the offset bias points, resulting in clamping relatively close to
> >each supply rail.
> >Also, the transistor gain makes clamping a little sharper than say a
> >zener. The
> >bottom circuit can be repeated multiple times for multiple inputs and
> >use the same
> >bias circuit. It looks a little complex, but the performance is much
> >better than most
> >simpler circuits. To reduce component count/save space I've sometimes used
> >BC847BPN dual complimentary NPN/PNP transistor arrays.
>
> Hello, I'm probably saying something stupid, but in reality I'm asking:
>
> why would this circuit that you shared (and that I am re-attaching) would
> be preferable to a simple pair of schottky diodes to the supply rails?
> This only assuming that the input is driven by a low impedence input of
> course, as the schottky has a significant reverse current flow, but I
> think it can be assumed because if it was a high impedance source, then
> there would be little need to protect the ADC input beyond the protection
> diodes already in the PIC.

Hi Mario,

No, that's a good question. The reason is this circuit keeps the voltage within about
+/-0.1V of the PIC supply rails (depends on Vce sat etc). By comparison a pair of
Schottky diodes can struggle to keep within the +/-0.3V required by the Absolute
Maximum Rating specs for the PIC I/O pins.

There is some discussion about how much current can or can not be safely
tolerated in the PIC's internal protection diodes, which presumably start to conduct
somewhere around 0.3V or above. The data sheets these days specify an Absolute
Maximum Rating (e.g. +/-20mA for a PIC16F88x) for the internal diode current, but
NO current is stated for which the device will remain functional and completely in
spec. It is known that bad things can happen when protection currents flow in the
die, latch-up is one possibility (*). It is therefore best practice to minimise current in
the PIC's internal protection diodes, keeping as close to zero current as is
practicable.

For sure, there are times and places where the simpler/cheaper option of Schottky
diodes might be acceptable. E.g. with a BAT54S (2 x Schottky diodes in series,
SOT-23) if you can keep the worst case current somewhat below 1mA then Vf will
be less than 0.3V accross a reasonable temperature range. Or you can push further
towards abs max specs and into undefined area of PIC specs (especially if it's only
during fault conditions), but you'd want to verify empirically that PIC operation
remains acceptable (no latch-ups or other anomalies).

* Section 8.1 of data sheet for PIC16F88x refers to an overload of 0.6V above or
below VDD/VSS forward biasing one of the ESD protection diodes on an analog
input pin, and says "a latch-up may occur".

Wikipedia reminds me that a latch-up is "the inadvertent creation of a
low-impedance path between the power supply rails of a MOSFET circuit, triggering
a parasitic structure which disrupts proper functioning of the part, possibly even
leading to its destruction due to overcurrent. A power cycle is required to correct this
situation."

Regards, Brent.

RussellMc
2018-01-27 09:55:10 UTC
​​
Over the years I have written much on driving inputs outside rails and why
it is usually a bad idea and may be a very very bad idea.
Many have argued the contrary case. I've so far not heard a good argument
in cases where the results may matter.

In very brief summary - as well as gross noticeable results such as magic
smoke emission and Lot's wife emulation, you invite a slew of subtle
results which may be hard to spot, intermittent, variable in result and
generally much beloved by Murphy. Once current flows into the ic via paths
which were not part of the functional design, anything can happen and
anything sometimes does. Currents in the microamp range may affect ADC
results. Currents may charge usually inaccessible nodes forming gates for
parasitic MOSFETs which allow far larger currents to pass from
who-knows-where to fancy-that. Or which stop current flowing from
this-is-the-source to this-should-be-turned-on.
For extra points such nodes may remain charged when the IC is powered down
thus either prolonging malaction into subsequent turn on periods, or
preventing restart for some undefined period. I have had ICs that took some
minutes to "come right" while the Femtoamp (presumably) leakage discharge
paths dis-abled the parasitic FET.

If you can tolerate occasional smoke / pillar of salt / random happenings /
random non-happenings / .... then it may not matter to much. But if your
product performance is critical or customer satisfaction matters or if you
have to foot the bill for the 2000 km service visit then it may be best to
avoid the possibilities of Murphy having a good day.

Russell
​​
http://mailman.mi
r***@bredband.net

View/change your membership optio
Mario
2018-01-27 16:15:53 UTC
At 00:08 2018-01-27, Brent Brown wrote:
> [...]
>
>For sure, there are times and places where the simpler/cheaper option
>of Schottky
>diodes might be acceptable. E.g. with a BAT54S (2 x Schottky diodes in series,
>SOT-23) if you can keep the worst case current somewhat below 1mA then Vf will
>be less than 0.3V accross a reasonable temperature range. Or you can
>push further
>towards abs max specs and into undefined area of PIC specs (especially
>if it's only
>during fault conditions), but you'd want to verify empirically that
>PIC operation
>remains acceptable (no latch-ups or other anomalies).
>
>* Section 8.1 of data sheet for PIC16F88x refers to an overload of
>0.6V above or
>below VDD/VSS forward biasing one of the ESD protection diodes on an analog
>input pin, and says "a latch-up may occur".

Thank you Brent, I will save your circuit, it may be useful someday.

>Wikipedia reminds me that a latch-up is "the inadvertent creation of a
>low-impedance path between the power supply rails of a MOSFET circuit,
>triggering
>a parasitic structure which disrupts proper functioning of the part,
>possibly even
>leading to its destruction due to overcurrent. A power cycle is
>required to correct this
>situation."

When I was a kid I discovered this weird phenomenon on my Commodore VIC-20:
if I shorted (..blush.. I feel a monster now) with my screwdriver some chip,
it would quickly start getting very hot until I switched the power off and
then on.

I guess it was latchup. :D

On a side note, my VIC-20 survived and it still works as today. :o)

Cheers,
Mario