[OT] Old movie
Isaac M. Bavaresco
2018-02-27 14:16:28 UTC
Dear all,

Does anyone remember the name of this old movie (70's or 80's perhaps)
where a guy is released from jail and starts working in a data
processing center? There he learns how to bypass the security mechanisms
of the mainframe from the janitor that uses a bucket to open a hatch on
top of the machine to heat her coffee.

I remember that soon after being released he sees a poster of Jesus on a
wall.

Cheers,

Isaac

John Gardner
2018-02-27 16:37:22 UTC
70s & 80s are old movies? Oh my... :)

Bob Blick
2018-02-27 17:06:28 UTC
Hi Isaac,

Found this in the admin shredder, from a not-subscribed lurker:

From: <***@manta-design.be>
Today, 7:10 AM
Microcontroller discussion list - Public. (***@mit.edu)

hot millions (1968)

kind regards

JEAN

Isaac M. Bavaresco
2018-02-27 17:28:40 UTC
Hi Bob,

I think it is not the movie I am looking for.

If I remember it right, the main character was African-American
resembling Richard Pryor, and in the plot he works as a clerk for a big
company.

Cheers,

Isaac

Bob Blick
2018-02-27 19:10:52 UTC
Then it must be Superman III from 1983. I liked that movie. Richard Pryor figured out a way to deposit rounding errors into his own bank account. Good one!

Friendly regards,

Isaac M. Bavaresco
2018-02-27 19:31:11 UTC
No, I said that the protagonist resembles Richard Pryor.

The scenes and plot details that I remember are:

1) Just after leaving jail he sees a poster "Jesus Saves" or the like.

2) He begins working in a data processing center with mainframes, as a
programmer, I think.

3) Certain day he notices that a hatch with a red light on top of the
mainframe is open and a coffee pot is there for heating. With that hatch
open the machine runs in an unprotected state. He then discovers that
the janitor learned how to open the hatch in a non-conventional way by
hitting the side of the machine with a bucket.

4) He starts using that weakness to do things...

Cheers,

Isaac

Neil
2018-02-27 19:49:53 UTC
I asked this for you on a vintage computer group, and the only thought
so far was also Superman 3.

Cheers,
-Neil.

Andrew E. Mileski
2018-02-27 20:25:25 UTC
On 2018-02-27 09:16, Isaac M. Bavaresco wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Does anyone remember the name of this old movie (70's or 80's perhaps)
> where a guy is released from jail and starts working in a data
> processing center? There he learns how to bypass the security mechanisms
> of the mainframe from the janitor that uses a bucket to open a hatch on
> top of the machine to heat her coffee.
>
> I remember that soon after being released he sees a poster of Jesus on a
> wall.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Isaac

Wait ... I know that movie.

He was doing accounting fraud.

Older actor (well, I saw it a few times when I was a kid). Have to
think on it. Give me some time.

~~
Andrew E. Mileski
Andrew E. Mileski
2018-02-27 20:39:49 UTC
On 2018-02-27 15:25, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:
> On 2018-02-27 09:16, Isaac M. Bavaresco wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Does anyone remember the name of this old movie (70's or 80's perhaps)
>> where a guy is released from jail and starts working in a data
>> processing center? There he learns how to bypass the security mechanisms
>> of the mainframe from the janitor that uses a bucket to open a hatch on
>> top of the machine to heat her coffee.
>>
>> I remember that soon after being released he sees a poster of Jesus on a
>> wall.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Isaac
>
> Wait ... I know that movie.
>
> He was doing accounting fraud.
>
> Older actor (well, I saw it a few times when I was a kid). Have to
> think on it. Give me some time.
>
> ~~
> Andrew E. Mileski

Peter Ustinov. "Hot Millions"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063094/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_61

~~
Andrew E. Mileski
Isaac M. Bavaresco
2018-02-28 11:37:37 UTC
Em 27/02/2018 17:39, Andrew E. Mileski escreveu:
> Peter Ustinov. "Hot Millions"
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063094/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_61
>
> ~~
> Andrew E. Mileski

Andrew,

So my memory is seriously garbled. I could swear that the protagonist
was African-American.

I owe apologies to Bob, who came with that answer yesterday and I dismissed.

40 years old memories probably mixed details of two different movies.

Cheers,

Isaac
2018-02-28 11:45:12 UTC
Some of the plot sounds as it comes from the 1999 movie Office Space.

/Ruben

Den Wed, 28 Feb 2018 08:37:37 -0300, "Isaac M. Bavaresco" skrev:

Em 27/02/2018 17:39, Andrew E. Mileski escreveu:
&gt; Peter Ustinov. "Hot Millions"
&gt; https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063094/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_61
&gt;
&gt; ~~
&gt; Andrew E. Mileski

Andrew,

So my memory is seriously garbled. I could swear that the protagonist
was African-American.

I owe apologies to Bob, who came with that answer yesterday and I dismissed.

40 years old memories probably mixed details of two different movies.

Cheers,

Isaac
&nbsp;

Andrew E. Mileski
2018-02-28 18:17:00 UTC
On 2018-02-28 06:37, Isaac M. Bavaresco wrote:
> Em 27/02/2018 17:39, Andrew E. Mileski escreveu:
>> Peter Ustinov. "Hot Millions"
>> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063094/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_61
>>
>> ~~
>> Andrew E. Mileski
>
> Andrew,
>
> So my memory is seriously garbled. I could swear that the protagonist
> was African-American.
>
> I owe apologies to Bob, who came with that answer yesterday and I dismissed.
>
> 40 years old memories probably mixed details of two different movies.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Isaac

I'm fairly certain there was a remake of the movie. The title is not
the same however. I have a feeling that children may have been featured
in the remake, but I'm very uncertain.

The remake was __HORRIBLE__ hence I don't remember it as clearly. You
cold easily convince me the lead was Pryor or anyone else. I couldn't
even be bothered to look for it on imdb.

The remake tried to base the entire movie around the "hack", which on
its own isn't sufficient to carry a movie.

Worse, when the original was made, 1968, audiences were NOT as familiar
with computers. Most people didn't have experience with computers until
the 80's. That's why the "hack" as a plot device worked (the big light
went out = computer defenses were down). More modern audiences wouldn't
swallow that.

The original was much more about the lead characters as well.

I really, really, really, dislike Peter Ustinov. Yet, all the things
that make me dislike him are perfect for the role. It is the only role
of his I ever liked.

~~
Andrew E. Mileski
Andrew E. Mileski
2018-02-28 18:36:10 UTC
On 2018-02-28 13:17, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:
>> Em 27/02/2018 17:39, Andrew E. Mileski escreveu:
>>> Peter Ustinov. "Hot Millions"
>>> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063094/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_61
>
> I'm fairly certain there was a remake of the movie. The title is not
> the same however. I have a feeling that children may have been featured
> in the remake, but I'm very uncertain.
>
> The remake was __HORRIBLE__ hence I don't remember it as clearly. You
> cold easily convince me the lead was Pryor or anyone else. I couldn't
> even be bothered to look for it on imdb.

You know, you could even convince me the same "hack" was used in
Superman III. It too was such a lousy movie, that I'd really wish I
could erase it completely from my memory.

I've only been partially successful at that so far.

~~
Andrew E. Mileski
Justin Richards
2018-03-01 02:11:26 UTC