[OT]: Strange Microchip Email
Sean Breheny
2018-05-26 00:30:30 UTC
Has anyone else recently received an email claiming that a Microchip sample
request was made "on your behalf"?

My first reaction was to think that it must be a phishing attempt but it
doesn't request that I follow any links or open any documents. Also it
passes gmail's authentication tests for having come from microchip.com

I don't recall placing any sample orders with them in years and I can't
think who would have done it for me.

One more strange thing is that it says that the email is a summary of my
order but there is no list of parts or any delivery address for me. Maybe
it was a phishing attempt and there was an attachment originally? But it
would be strange for gmail to strip out the attachment and not give me a
security warning about the message.
Denny Esterline
2018-05-26 01:16:33 UTC
Yep, same exact experience. I went so far as to log into their sample web
portal and look at my recent history (none). (and not though any link in
the email)
Not at all sure what's going on, but as you said, it didn't ask anything of
me.

More to be revealed - maybe.

Jean-Paul Louis
2018-05-26 01:56:43 UTC
Same with me, but I wasn't worried as I had received a sample development
board that I had ordered several weeks ago ( it was a $20 board ).

Jean-Paul
N1JPL

Ryan O'Connor
2018-05-26 02:20:26 UTC
I'm still waiting for my free one :(

Ryan

Chris Smolinski
2018-05-26 12:07:53 UTC
Same here. Did anyone get theirs?

Chris Smolinski
Black Cat Systems
Westminster, MD USA
http://www.blackcatsystems.com

AB, Pearce - UKRI STFC
2018-05-26 12:14:59 UTC
Me too ...

Jean-Paul Louis
2018-05-26 12:33:08 UTC
Correction, That was the free board I ordered following an email in this list if memory serves me right.

Just my $0.02,

Jean-Paul
N1JPL

RussellMc
2018-05-26 15:38:53 UTC
Probably unrelated - but there is a current scam where advice is received
that a DHL parcel is in transit and tracking information is provided.
I do not know how this works out at the receiving end "in due course".

Russell
Don Kovalchik - W8DPK
2018-05-26 18:37:32 UTC
I also received that email. I vaguely remember ordering a free
development board a few months ago, but I never received a
confirmation. Maybe that's it?

--Don--

William Bross
2018-05-27 13:12:47 UTC
Looks like a lot of people got it, but no one has mentioned the Order
number.  Mine is 1109308.  Are they all the same or different?  That
might be a clue.  I also ordered the demo board but that was a special
promotion.  It never showed up in my sample order history.

Bill

http://ma
Chris Smolinski
2018-05-27 13:52:35 UTC
Mine is a different order number. Maybe we're finally getting the demo board. Now, can someone remind me what it is again, it's been too long :)

Denny Esterline
2018-05-27 14:04:47 UTC
My number was/is 1109300, so, not the same.

Jean-Paul Louis
2018-05-27 15:06:11 UTC
Mine was in the subject line

"Microchip Samples Order 1109305 Acknowledgement”.

But I have received the sample order a few weeks ago. So, in my case, the confirmation comes after the delivery.

Just my $0.02,

Jean-Paul
N1JPL

Van Horn, David
2018-06-06 15:56:11 UTC
I had that, but it was in an AVR.

Not long after the Mega128 came out, I used a pair of them in a thermal printer design, plus a Tiny-26 for battery charging.
The printhead manager took in data from the comms manager and rasterized it, and managed the stepper motor with accel/decal as well as the burn pulse timing for 832 pixels in 13 segments, at something like 2000 lines/second.

It worked well, but we would get occasional data corruption and no amount of debugging ever resulted in a fix.
The mechanism of data transfer was blamed, but only out of desperation.

At one point, I was called to the factory because suddenly "nothing works". I get there and sure enough, the chips program but they don't run. As I'm investigating I noticed that the low power oscillator fuse was set. I had specified NOT to do this but someone overrode my decision.

It turns out that the low power oscillator, at least on those parts, isn't well characterized. Atmel was never able to tell me what crystals would work with it or how to select crystals that would work with it. The problem is that in low power mode, the amplitude is much lower and with most of the chips what happens is that sometimes part of the system didn't get clocked, resulting in non-deterministic execution. (!) Concurrent symptoms included the serial baud rates being slightly slow. Nowhere near enough to worry about but not correct.

Setting the oscillator fuse to full power resolved all the issues.
We just got "lucky" in that the one batch put the problem front and center.

I've talked to a number of AVR users since then with similar issues, and turning off that low power oscillator worked miracles.
On the M128, the low power mode was the DEFAULT!

2018-06-21 18:01:03 UTC
I just received a PIC16F18446-XPRESS module and the sales order number on
its packing list matches one of the two strange emails I received.

I received an email on May 25 (the original "strange email" I wrote to this
list about) with the title:
Microchip Samples Order 1109336 Acknowledgement

I then received another on June 19th with the title:
Product Sample Order 30293899 Shipping Notification

The packing list with the sample I received today matches the number in the
title of this second, June 19th, email. I do not see the number from the
previous email anywhere.

Looking back at the list activity in March, I see that someone mentioned
that this free sample was available and I wrote a positive reply. I don't
clearly recall ordering one but I must have. It still doesn't explain the
long delay between when I would have ordered it (March) to when I got an
acknowledgement (late May) and the fact that this original order number is
nowhere to be found on what I received.

Sean
Van Horn, David
2018-06-21 18:53:33 UTC
I just got one of the boards, but never saw the email.

I suspect some glitch in the gears at uChip.

Sean Breheny
2018-06-21 18:55:46 UTC
Do you remember requesting this sample?

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 2:53 PM, Van Horn, David <

Van Horn, David
2018-06-21 19:16:06 UTC
I think they sent the same sample twice.

Manu Abraham
2018-06-21 19:10:21 UTC
Hi Sean,

Same situation as you, but just that the board never arrived. They
provided me a tracking number too. Tried putting that number in the
Fedex tracking page and it says "

Delivered Thursday 21/06/2018 at 14:08"

Product Sample Order 30294832 Shipping Notification

Microchip Shipping Notification
Thank you for your order. The following order lines have shipped:
Order Number: 30294832

Line: 1
Microchip Item: PIC16F18446-XPRESS
Quantity: 1
Ship Date: 19-June-2018

Delivery location seems to be another state. I have not ordered it,
but received a mail with my address and tracking number. But the
tracking page states that it has been delivered in another state.
Maybe the system, went completely nuts ?

Cheers,

Manu

John
2018-06-21 19:50:09 UTC
I remember requesting the sample..
Received two somewhat none descript emails in the last two or three months.
Received the sample via FedEx just a minute ago.
I wished I had noted when I requested the sample but I can always wait for FREE.
Am pleased.
JH

Jean-Paul Louis
2018-06-21 23:36:28 UTC
I also received the FEDEX package with one PIC16F18446-XPRESS today.

I need to check if the other package I received a month ago is the same or another board I ordered.

Jean-Paul

Just my $0.02,

Jean-Paul
N1JPL

Michael Johnston
2018-06-22 00:44:08 UTC
Hi I got the email on Monday and arrived this morning. I ordered mine a month or so back and now I have two.
Michael Johnston

Sent from my iPhone

AB Pearce - UKRI STFC
2018-06-22 09:07:18 UTC
I have two on the way, although I only ordered one. ...

I believe that when the offer went out they didn't actually have chips in production, and so the delay has been in getting chips and then producing the boards.

RussellMc
2018-06-22 09:35:00 UTC
I ordered one.
I have had one email.
I may therefore receive one sometime.
Or not.

If anyone received more than they wish to own (which seems unlikely :-) ) I
know someone in Malaysia who would benefit from receiving one.
I advised them to request one at the time but do not know if they did.
Will check .

Russell

John Ferrell
2018-06-22 16:08:51 UTC
I did not order one but FedX delivered it yesterday. It has been quite a
while since I did anything with their products.  When MikroElectronika
decided not to provide the hardware upgrade option to my Pascal Compiler
I decided to play with Arduinos instead. To be fair about the complier
issue, as far as I know they are still providing the updates as promised.

I will probably get around to checking out the chip just to satisfy my
curiosity.

BTW, the Digikey price is $1.71.

--
John Ferrell W8CCW
Julian NC 27283

http://mailman.mit.edu/mai
Chris Roper
2018-06-06 14:44:06 UTC

Brent Brown
2018-05-27 22:35:58 UTC
No email received here, and no fee dev board ordered, but I did receive something
equally enexpected/unsolicited ~ a MicroChip diary, with a glossy card saying "May
you realize your Designs as Curiosity takes you to Starry heights" - with
compliments from Microchip. It was mailed from Microchip Hong Kong, some sort of
promotion around their Curiosity range it seems. My only recent contact with MC
was buying an ICD4 back in March.

Denny Esterline
2018-05-29 20:13:51 UTC
I had received a small dev board from Microchip a couple weeks ago - well
before the subject email. Now that I'm back in the office today, I can
share it's details - I suspect it's something that was linked here on the
list, but, honestly, I don't really recall.

It's tiny, has a PIC16F18446 one it and what looks to be an on-board
programmer.

Pictures here:

Front

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag233/D_esterline/EBB0D5DB-F080-4560-B4E4-463A23F0458E_zpsooa5qraa.jpg

Back

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag233/D_esterline/67E6CDB5-D8AF-4466-8E98-CEC925C2C08E_zpsyneocd3s.jpg

Bonita Felix
2018-05-29 20:53:48 UTC
One of the purposes of this board is to promote the cloud based
development
environment called MPLAB EXPRESS.

Personally, I don't care much for cloud based compilers/environments.
I guess for some cases, they do offer an advantage, but I generally
think
they're more of a curse than a blessing.

My reasons are in a cloud based situation, you have to have access to
the internet in some fashion.
If I work locally on a computer, I can be completely independent of the
internet from a compiler /
programming point of view.

Another reason is related, and that would be if you store your source
code in the cloud, and you want
to access it for some reason, again, you have to have internet access.
If it's on a local computer
drive, I don't need internet access.

A third, maybe unlikely but still possible reason is having the source
in the cloud makes it easier for
someone not authorized to see the code to gain access without your
knowledge.

One positive I do like is that one could access their code virtually
anywhere you have a computer with
internet access.

However, in my opinion, the negatives far outweigh the positive. But
again, this is my opinion, and I
do not even suggest that I speak for everyone.

Bottom line is cloud based environment / compiler just isn't for me.
YMMV.

Regards,

Jim

Michael Johnston
2018-05-29 21:06:54 UTC
Hi, I don't building code on the cloud either but if you have that embed
cloud based device its the same there. But I do believe you can still use
this device with mplabx 4.1 or what ever
Michael Johnston

Bonita Felix
2018-05-29 21:20:15 UTC
You're correct in that the mBed is the same., However, I don't use
that one either.

Jim

Regards,

Jim

Denny Esterline
2018-05-29 21:39:58 UTC
One aspect I found interesting was the "drag and drop programming"
Apparently, whatever programming tool they've included on-board emulates a
USB flash drive. Just save a hex file to it and the target chip gets
programmed.

And just for the record - I'm about the most "anti-cloud" person I know.
One of my favorite quotes is "there is no 'cloud', just someone else's
computer"

-Denny

James Cameron
2018-05-29 22:27:58 UTC
On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 02:39:58PM -0700, Denny Esterline wrote:
> One aspect I found interesting was the "drag and drop programming"

When the desktop metaphor began, and files were shown as icons, and it
was possible to destroy hours of work with a slip of the mouse, that's
when I decided I wasn't interested.

My work systems have no files visible as icons; I've turned those
features off. I've worked like that for 25 years, and yet to have a
good reason to adopt the feature. Files stay where they are put, or I
use a command to move them.

> Apparently, whatever programming tool they've included on-board
> emulates a USB flash drive. Just save a hex file to it and the
> target chip gets programmed.

So the drag and drop programming of mbed and Micro Bit are irritations
because I end up writing a quick script anyway. ;-)

> And just for the record - I'm about the most "anti-cloud" person I know.
> One of my favorite quotes is "there is no 'cloud', just someone else's
> computer"

Yay.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/
Michael Johnston
2018-05-29 21:48:20 UTC
Jim Paul a friend of mine down in Houston Texas says the same thing,He
could care less about doing anything on the cloud and I agree its not for
me with hackers on loss like they are now! you dont know who is spying on
your development.I am going to try it out just to see what I can do on it
but my private stuff will not be stored on the cloud
Michael

2018-05-30 12:31:06 UTC
Denny Esterline <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> And just for the record - I'm about the most "anti-cloud" person I know.
> One of my favorite quotes is "there is no 'cloud', just someone else's
> computer"

Does a mainframe by any other name feel as oppressive? "Cloud mainframe"
works best for me. "Cloud server farms in mainframe racks" contains too
much jargon.
"Cloud mainframe" also re-introduces the crusty old mainframe
moniker to the narrative. It gives young people a focus for their
inevitable frustration.

--
Don