[EE] 7-16V to 350-400V SMPS boost IC?
Mario
2018-02-13 10:33:02 UTC
Hello,
could you advice me some SMPS IC (possibly with integrated MOSFET) to
boost from around 7-16V to around 350-400V with at least 1A average
input current please?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Mario

Bob Blick
2018-02-13 17:23:45 UTC
Hi Mario,

Geiger counter? Nixie clock? Photomultiplier tube?

With that high a voltage ratio, you can't use a typical flyback + inductor topology, you will need a transformer or autotransformer. You can still use a single power device.

Even if you lowered the switching frequency so the "off" time is still in a reasonable range for the inductor/diode/switch, most switcher chips won't go to the extreme duty cycle you'd need (98%+) to make a simple inductor work. I usually figure any voltage ratio higher than 1:5 needs a transformer unless the current requirements are very very small you can push it to 1:7. Definitely not 1:50.

On the other hand, I have made plenty of little transformers out of cheap inductors. You could wind a second layer on top of a typical "spool" inductor and you'd have yourself a fine little transformer with your hand-wound primary. Start with something like this:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/bourns-inc/RLB9012-471KL/RLB9012-471KL-ND/1969612

Peel the heatshrink off it first, and use thicker wire for your primary. And keep fingers crossed about high voltage breakdown.

I've also salvaged transformers from electric bug swatters and photo flashes, but they need to operate at audible frequencies.

Cheerful regards,

Bob

Mario
2018-02-13 17:38:23 UTC
At 18:23 2018-02-13, Bob Blick wrote:
>Hi Mario,
>
>Geiger counter? Nixie clock? Photomultiplier tube?
>
>With that high a voltage ratio, you can't use a typical flyback +
>inductor topology, you will need a transformer or autotransformer. You
>can still use a single power device.
>
>Even if you lowered the switching frequency so the "off" time is still
>in a reasonable range for the inductor/diode/switch, most switcher
>chips won't go to the extreme duty cycle you'd need (98%+) to make a
>simple inductor work. I usually figure any voltage ratio higher than
>1:5 needs a transformer unless the current requirements are very very
>small you can push it to 1:7. Definitely not 1:50.
>
>On the other hand, I have made plenty of little transformers out of
>cheap inductors. You could wind a second layer on top of a typical
>"spool" inductor and you'd have yourself a fine little transformer
>with your hand-wound primary. Start with something like this:
>
>https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/bourns-inc/RLB9012-471KL/RLB
>9012-471KL-ND/1969612
>
>Peel the heatshrink off it first, and use thicker wire for your
>primary. And keep fingers crossed about high voltage breakdown.
>
>I've also salvaged transformers from electric bug swatters and photo
>flashes, but they need to operate at audible frequencies.

Thank you, I'll experiment along those lines. I'm also considering to
use a PIC as "controller", also to have fun with algorithms/software
for SMPS.

With kind regards,
Mario

Richard Prosser
2018-02-13 19:31:19 UTC
We're using a MAX668 along with a BSP298 MOSFET to get about 200V from a
16V supply for a laser rangefinder. For higher currents you'll probably
need a bigger fet. Not sure what the maximum voltage would be, we have to
limit it for the laser diode output power anyway.
A transformer would probably be a better idea if space was available.

RP

Sean Breheny
2018-02-14 01:44:01 UTC
I recently was able to make a simple boost converter (no transformer) to
provide 120V DC at 2mA from a USB 5V supply. About 70% efficiency. This is
part of a capacitance meter which can measure the variation in capacitance
vs voltage for characterizing X7R and similar ceramic chip caps, up to 100V.

Bob Blick
2018-02-14 03:00:25 UTC
Hi Sean,

You never fail to impress. Kudos to you!

Bob

Mario
2018-02-14 18:14:18 UTC
At 02:44 2018-02-14, Sean Breheny wrote:
>I recently was able to make a simple boost converter (no transformer) to
>provide 120V DC at 2mA from a USB 5V supply. About 70% efficiency. This is
>part of a capacitance meter which can measure the variation in capacitance
>vs voltage for characterizing X7R and similar ceramic chip caps, up to 100V.

Coolness.

Few know of this characteristic/limit of MLCC's, but much fewer actually do
even design tools to measure it.

I would never use a MLCC where this info is not specified in the datasheet.
I found that TDK does a very good job on it, but then again having a tool
to actually measure this is very cool. Congratulations.

Van Horn, David
2018-02-14 20:01:40 UTC
Very good! Something more people should be paying attention to, I think.

Sean Breheny
2018-02-15 20:18:46 UTC
Thanks!

I have used MLCCs for bulk decoupling on some motor drives. They have three
big advantages over aluminum electrolytics:
1) much longer life at high temperatures
2) very low ESR/ESL which can be distributed around the board to provide an
overall very low impedance between any point on the power plane to any
point on the ground plane, which comes in very handy to prevent ground
bounce effects when switching FETs on and off hard at high currents
3) much better specs on internal heating from ripple current (by better
specs, I don't necessarily mean that the MLCCs can handle more ripple
current but rather that the electrolytic caps' ability to handle high
frequency ripple depends on the details of internal heat transfer which are
not characterized or controlled well by most manufacturers)

The big disadvantages are higher cost, infancy reliability problems due to
flex cracking, and capacitance change with voltage.

I would often get requests to evaluate additional possible suppliers for
these caps and I often had to check the dC/dV myself because many
manufacturers do not provide that data, although the situation is getting
better and most do provide it now.

I was bitten by this the first time I used them - I was shocked to find
that the voltage ripple on the motor drive bus was twice what I had
calculated it should be, which I then traced back to the caps having
roughly half their nominal capacitance at 50% bias (DC bias equal to half
the rated max working voltage). At that time, Taiyo Yuden (where I was
getting the caps) did not provide this info in their datasheets. I think
they now do provide it. I got lucky because I had overspec'd the quantity
of capacitance by about a factor of 2 because of uncertainties so it just
worked out (with no additional margin).

The device I built to perform this test works by simply connecting a very
accurate low-value current source, with a compliance to at least 100V, to
the capacitor under test. A microcontroller (NXP ARM, not PIC) watches the
voltage rise, computes the slope at various points along the rise and
computes the capacitance from the slope and the known current. The micro
also has the task of stopping the current flow when the desired max voltage
is reached. It reports the data over a USB-based virtual COM port in a
text-based format. It can handle a range of 100pF to 100uF accurately
(typically I get about 0.3% and I am still tweaking the firmware to use
various techniques to try to be able to guarantee 0.5% at all times)

Sean

Van Horn, David
2018-02-15 20:25:37 UTC
Is this something you'll be selling?

Sean Breheny
2018-02-16 15:29:38 UTC
Hi David,

The thought crossed my mind but I really built it for my own use. The
design presently was optimized for whatever parts I had laying around and
is made using a veroboard. I would have to do a PCB layout. I'll think
about it.

Sean

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 3:25 PM, Van Horn, David <

Harrison Cooper
2018-02-16 15:33:52 UTC
How about just open sourcing the design? I'd like my cap expert to take a look at it and see what he thinks

Van Horn, David
2018-02-16 17:45:47 UTC
I'd be happy to do the board layout.

Sean Breheny
2018-02-16 17:51:33 UTC
I would release the schematic and firmware as open source regardless of
whether I sold any. Right now the schematic is (neatly) hand-drawn but
missing a few changes I made recently. Let me add the changes and scan it
in and put it up somewhere. It will be a day or two before I can get to it.

Sean

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 12:45 PM, Van Horn, David <

Sean Breheny
2018-02-20 06:23:33 UTC
OK, so I finally corrected the schematic - it took a while because I
discovered a few changes I had made to the prototype which I had forgotten
about, so I had to check both sides of the board and make changes to the
schematic several times. It is still missing reference designators and some
part info but definitely there is enough there to get a very good idea of
what is going on. C.U.T. stands for Capacitor Under Test (connects on the
third page)

I would be happy for any questions or feedback.

https://nofile.io/f/XdFAOyByjPQ/Capacitor+Bias+Meter+Feb+17+2018.pdf

I apologize that the PDF is 12 MB - since I scanned a hand-drawn schematic
it is essentially a large image. I could have used a lower resolution, too.

Sean

RussellMc
2018-02-20 08:28:58 UTC
PDF 4.3 MB https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4qn2hb0tmn4pfa/CapBias.pdf?dl=0
JPG 896 kB https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8tdckp6trw3lo6/CapBias.jpg?dl=0

RussellMc
2018-02-20 08:33:21 UTC
On 20 February 2018 at 19:23, Sean Breheny <***@cornell.edu> wrote:

> OK, so I finally corrected the schematic -

​I like the voltage regulator :-).

-4V supply looks familiar.
Better than a diode in the -ve return with ground at diode anode and -Vb at
diode cathode :-).

Russell
View/change your membership option
Sean Breheny
2018-02-20 14:01:18 UTC
Thanks for providing the smaller versions, Russell

Are you referring to the 110v shunt regulator?

I guess I should remind people that I designed this to use what I had lying
around - it is definitely not optimized for mass production!

I should probably have drawn a simple block diagram, too. Maybe tonight.

http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/
Sean Breheny
2018-02-25 02:27:41 UTC
Block diagram finally complete:

https://nofile.io/f/M9qcafdGqbR/capacitor+bias+meter+block+diagram+feb+24+2018.pdf

Sean Breheny
2018-02-25 02:39:10 UTC
Also perhaps of interest:

Photo of both boards:
https://nofile.io/f/mrmNZxw5ZtA/20180217_142115.jpg

Bottom of main board:
https://nofile.io/f/PpRWO6Qkwdt/20180218_223104.jpg

Bottom of output board:
https://nofile.io/f/TnmTsCPsJYh/output+pcba+bottom.jpg

Sean Breheny
2018-02-25 06:02:44 UTC
Last for tonight :)

Here's a typical output when measuring a 10nF silver mica (almost no cap
variation with voltage) cap which reads as exactly 10.000nF on my SR720 LCR
meter. I am still working on improving accuracy and polishing the source
code. Note that there is no arbitrary calibration going on here - this
accuracy level comes from just getting the voltage measurement, current
control, and ADC sample timing correct. This output shows two filtering
schemes, a simple average of 50 iterations (which took about 10 seconds to
complete) and a Mean-Median filter (tosses out the 90th and 10th
percentiles before averaging). Next I am going to try a Savitsky-Golay
filter (moving least-squares fit which can give 1st derivative directly).
The value for the lowest voltage is always a bit further off right now
because there is a disturbance in the current regulation when the current
flow to the capacitor is turned on. I've improved that as much as I can in
hardware and I am working on further processing it in software by possibly
changing the sampling rate or ramping the current up from a lower value
during the beginning of the measurement.

Cap tables cleared.
Stage 1 readings=172 tdiff=1007 v= 1.2
Stage 2:Approximate capacitance: 10035.9pF
-- Simple Average --
Iterations: 50
Overall Average: 10.003nF
Voltage(V),cap(pF)
5.0,9.8728nF -1.30 %
10.0,9.9727nF -0.30 %
15.0,9.9119nF -0.91 %
20.0,9.9588nF -0.44 %
25.0,10.034nF 0.31 %
30.0,10.005nF 0.02 %
35.0,10.015nF 0.12 %
40.0,10.020nF 0.17 %
45.0,9.9693nF -0.34 %
50.0,9.9809nF -0.22 %
55.0,10.005nF 0.02 %
60.0,10.046nF 0.43 %
65.0,10.023nF 0.20 %
70.0,10.023nF 0.20 %
75.0,10.024nF 0.21 %
80.0,10.020nF 0.17 %
85.0,10.003nF 0.00 %
90.0,10.029nF 0.26 %
95.0,10.016nF 0.13 %
100.0,10.001nF -0.02 %
-- Mean-Median Filter --
Overall Average: 9.9974nF
Voltage(V),cap(pF)
5.0,9.8774nF -1.20 %
10.0,9.9564nF -0.41 %
15.0,9.9019nF -0.96 %
20.0,9.9479nF -0.50 %
25.0,10.006nF 0.08 %
30.0,10.012nF 0.14 %
35.0,10.004nF 0.07 %
40.0,10.014nF 0.16 %
45.0,9.9826nF -0.15 %
50.0,9.9730nF -0.24 %
55.0,9.9989nF 0.01 %
60.0,10.026nF 0.29 %
65.0,10.018nF 0.20 %
70.0,10.036nF 0.39 %
75.0,10.024nF 0.27 %
80.0,10.019nF 0.21 %
85.0,10.009nF 0.12 %
90.0,10.027nF 0.29 %
95.0,10.002nF 0.05 %
100.0,9.9942nF -0.03 %

As for a capacitor which actually DOES show voltage-dependent behavior,
this is a link to a image of a graph of the data measured by my device as
well as the nominal manufacturer's data for a 15uF, 100V TDK X7R cap. ARIMA
was the name of a motor drive I designed which used this cap:

https://s13.postimg.org/6y4pcol13/arima_cap.jpg

Mario
2018-02-15 08:59:14 UTC
I have made some simulations and I came to the conclusion that I can't do
it via a classic inductor boost SMPS solution, exactly as you foresaw.

But I have zero experience in transformer based step up circuits. Anyhow,
I don't want to wound my own transformer, as this circuit may (with some
hope) later become part of a production device. It needs to have an enable
pin and it will be used to charge capacitors (probably around 15uF @ 400V).

Any hint or guide? I wouldn't mind if as a controller I'd have to use a
PIC, as I already need one in my circuit anyway and it has plenty of CPU
time available also for this task, and anyway I'd like to learn something
about transformer step up (or should I call it inverter?) technology anyway,
algorithms, control strategies, etc.. so an independent IC is not really
necessary.

Where do I start? Should I drive a couple of MOSFETs to feed the primary
side of the transformer with a low voltage high current square wave?
Does it have to be AC? Can't I use a pulse transformer and feed DC pulses?

Things like this, to get a basic idea of what needs to be done.

Thanks a lot if you / anyone else finds the time to help me, and also if
you can't.

Cheers,

Mario
2018-02-16 15:45:03 UTC
Hi Bob,

I have studied more, and what I found that I could implement my 30-40W
15uF 400V capacitor-charge circuit in two different ways:

One is using a 2 transistors typical push-pull configuration (like in a
Royer oscillator, but I'd rather use a PIC to drive the the transistors)
but this is not well suited to the kind of load.

The other way would be a classic boost (or better, buck-boost) converter,
limited to about 1:5, but with a coupled inductor, and taking the flyback
on the secondary (inverted).
I have simulated this and noticed that it's just like a typical buck-boost
converter but, in substance, when the (single, as usual in buck-boost
converters) transistor is ON, current builds in the primary, when the
transistor switches OFF current disappears from the primary (and this
is the difference with a normal, single inductor converter) but it appears
(and starts decaying) at the secondary, so as long as there's a diode and
a load there, the energy gets transferred to the other side anyway.

This second type is what I want to implement. It looks very easy and as I
have some experience with boost converters, also very familiar. But I have
what seem abnormal difficulties in sourcing the transformer for it, and
here it comes my new question (as I don't want to make my own transformer,
but to source them from some producers):

At 18:23 2018-02-13, Bob Blick wrote:
>On the other hand, I have made plenty of little transformers out of
>cheap inductors. You could wind a second layer on top of a typical
>"spool" inductor and you'd have yourself a fine little transformer
>with your hand-wound primary. Start with something like this:
>
>https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/bourns-inc/RLB9012-471KL/RLB
>9012-471KL-ND/1969612
>
>Peel the heatshrink off it first, and use thicker wire for your
>primary. And keep fingers crossed about high voltage breakdown.

If I found a coupled inductor (with different enough inductances, of
course), would it work? Like this one, for example (this can't handle
the currents I need, but is just an example of the type):
https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/414/HA78D-1223833.pdf

Or would I have better chances by searching among autotransformers instead?

Would an autotransformer give me inverted polarily?

Or would it simply add the input voltage to the output?

I need to source a suitable transformer from Mouser or DigiKey. This is
the only component of the whole circuit that I have problems with, being
the rest very familiar (it's just like a boost converter, so to speak).

I do understand that it will be very hard to find the ideal transformer,
but the problem I have is that I am not able to identify the type of
transformer or coupled inductor that I need.

I hope anyone can shed some light in this argument. Until now I thought
transformers were all equal, with differences of course in construction
to privilege some aspects (low capacitance, saturation, etc..), but I
now reckon that open and closed core behave quite differently, although
they follow the same principle (electromagnetic induction, as found by
Faraday), then there are things like leakage inductance to take into
account, etc..

What I need to do is so simple (just the usual boost converter but taking
flyback from another, inverted, winding, with say 1:10 turns ratio), but
sourcing the transformer is being so weirdly difficult. Maybe I just don't
know how to identify the right type? I can't believe they aren't made in
the usual variety of any other component.

Thank you.

With kind regards,
Mario

Bob Blick
2018-02-16 17:04:49 UTC
Hi Mario,

Funny thing, I tried the coupled inductor you linked to already, a couple of years ago when I was designing an isolated DC-DC supply for laser drivers. I only needed 5 watts at 8 volts and it worked fine as a transformer in flyback mode. I ended up using a smaller and cheaper one since that one was bigger than I needed. I don't think you can get 30 watts through one of them, even at high frequency as a forward converter with an added output inductor. I was only running at 30-40KHz (I think) since I was trying to limit any conducted EMI above 150KHz with minimum parts count. The mantra here is always "smaller-cheaper-faster" and what I did was pretty cheap and small enough since the power requirement was low.

There are plenty of true transformers for switching supplies available at Digikey etc, but they tend to be a bit spendy. Something like this might work well for you in either flyback or forward mode(probably originally intended to be used in forward or push-pull topology):

http://katalog.we-online.de/pbs/datasheet/750311771.pdf

It's meant to be step-down but no reason not to use it backwards in forward or flyback mode. They probably have one with a higher ratio, you should try a couple of different ones.

To your other question, no reason you couldn't do a two-stage circuit like you also described, if you don't mind the extra complexity and lower efficiency. With an autotransformer it's just as easy to make it negative or positive output depending on which leads you put the power and switch to.

Friendly regards, Bob

Mario
2018-02-15 09:04:16 UTC
PS: sorry I forgot to say that 30-50W would suffice for my application.

Hi,

2018-02-15 09:39:37 UTC
> But I have zero experience in transformer based step up circuits. Anyhow, I
> don't want to wound my own transformer, as this circuit may (with some
> hope) later become part of a production device. It needs to have an enable
> pin and it will be used to charge capacitors (probably around 15uF @ 400V).
>
> Any hint or guide? I wouldn't mind if as a controller I'd have to use a PIC, as I
> already need one in my circuit anyway and it has plenty of CPU time available
> also for this task, and anyway I'd like to learn something about transformer
> step up (or should I call it inverter?) technology anyway, algorithms, control
> strategies, etc.. so an independent IC is not really necessary.
>
> Where do I start? Should I drive a couple of MOSFETs to feed the primary
> side of the transformer with a low voltage high current square wave?
> Does it have to be AC? Can't I use a pulse transformer and feed DC pulses?

Check out any of the SMPS chip suppliers application notes. IIRC National Semiconductor, ST or Linear Technology had app notes using SMPS chips to do step up conversion, and that would point you at standard transformers from Wurth, Coilcraft, and possibly some Japanese manufacturers. If you can't find chip suppliers app notes, just browse the catalogues of the companies mentioned.

I don't think you will get 50W out of a standard pulse transformer. I suspect from the PIC point of view you are going to need to look at a chip that has a complementary PWM drive to drive the transformer, so one of the dsPic chips designed for power supplies would be a good starting point, although there are 16F1xxx and 16F1xxxx chips which I believe have similar PWM these days.

Mario
2018-02-15 09:57:47 UTC
PPS: found this very interesting / enlightning page:
http://www.simonbramble.co.uk/dc_dc_converter_design/flyback_converter/flyback_converter_design.htm

I searched in Mouser for some suitable transformer but I don't find any.

Anyhow, will keep on exploring this (new for me) field.

Cheers.

---