[EE] What are they called
David C Brown
2018-10-13 10:14:24 UTC
In order to mount a through hole resistor on a PCB whilst maintaining the
ability to change it easily one uses a pin which is a tight fit in the hole
and which is forked at the top for the resistor.
lead.
I am failing .to source some of these, probably because I don't know the
correct term to put into Google.
What on earth are they called?
David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak Phone: 01663 733236
Derbyshire eMail: ***@gmail.com
SK23 7ND web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>

*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
Mark Scoville
2018-10-13 11:23:21 UTC
Try "Turret Terminals"... the ones with the forked top may have a more
specialized name - but this should get you going. Sources probably Cambion,
Keystone, Mill-Max.

Hope this helps you out

-- Mark

David C Brown
2018-10-13 14:19:10 UTC
No. Turret terminals or turret tags are not really intended for PCB
mounting. They fit 1/8 inch holes on the tag strips used in old valve
gear.

AB Pearce - UKRI STFC
2018-10-13 17:05:46 UTC
It is turret terminals you are looking for : -

https://onecall.farnell.com/c/connectors/crimp-terminals-solder-terminals-splices/solder-press-mount-turret-terminals?searchref=searchlookahead

One about a third the way down the first page matches your description, but as you say, has a sizable hole. Others are just plain pins that would go into a component lead hole.

I only looked down the first page of 25, so there may be something more applicable for your use on a later page.

Certainly the split top produces the term "turret" as it results in something looking like castellation on a castle turret.

Kevin Fonda
2018-10-13 17:23:29 UTC
Take a look here:
https://www.vectorelect.com/pcb-accessories-pins-terminals.html

David C Brown
2018-10-13 17:41:32 UTC
Thanks that is the one and they are stocked by Farnell
I remember now that I used them a lot in the days we were wire wrapping
prototypes.

RussellMc
2018-10-13 23:49:15 UTC
Agh. Bad memories ... :-)

From Kevin's link:

https://www.vectorelect.com/terminals-wire-wrap.html

T44, T68 Bifurcated miniwrap terminals for 0.042” diameter holes

Russell

http://mailman.mit.edu/m
David C Brown
2018-10-14 07:58:14 UTC
Bad memories? Not of wire-wrapping, surely? A very civilised and cool
way of assembly compared with soldering wires.

And a conundrum which has bothered me for years.: why is the insulation
on wire used for the cool wrapping process (usually kynar) designed to
stand high temperature; whereas the wire used for hot soldering has
insulation which melts at soldering temperatures?

RussellMc
2018-10-14 08:48:20 UTC
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 at 20:58, David C Brown <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bad memories? Not of wire-wrapping, surely? A very civilised and cool
> way of assembly compared with soldering wires.

Cool enough - but a fairly effort intensive task.

> And a conundrum which has bothered me for years.: why is the insulation
> on wire used for the cool wrapping process (usually kynar) designed to
> stand high temperature; whereas the wire used for hot soldering has
> insulation which melts at soldering temperatures?
>
> I'd think (and know not) that it is due to the way the wire behaves on
sharp corners - allowing a "reliable" (usually) join to be made.
Another contender (memory says) is Tefzel which (memory says) was somewhat
cheaper. Whether that's branding of PTFE coated silver plated wire or a
different flurocarbon I now forget but 'memory says' perhaps the latter. I
could have Googled that and appeared more knowledgeable (or memory
retentive) than I am :-).

Russell

SO:

https://www.chemours.com/Teflon_Industrial/en_US/products/product_by_name/tefzel_etfe/index.html

Oh, yes ...
Tefzel™ ETFE Resin

Tefzel™ is a modified ETFE (ethylene-tetrafluoroethylene) fluoroplastic
available as pellets or as powder for rotational molding. Tefzel™ ETFE
resin combines superior mechanical toughness with an outstanding chemical
inertness that approaches that of Teflon™ fluoroplastic resins. Tefzel™
features easy processibility, a specific gravity of 1.7, and high-energy
radiation resistance. Most grades are rated for continuous exposure at
150°C (302°F), based on the 20,000-hr criterion.

Processing

Tefzel™ ETFE fluoroplastic resins are processed by conventional
melt-extrusion techniques and by injection, compression, transfer,
rotational, and blow molding processes. The relatively high flow rate of
these ETFE resins provides higher rates with less draw-down, as compared to
those required for Teflon™ FEP and PFA. Reciprocating screw injection
molding machines are preferred. Long extruder barrels, relative to
diameter, should be used to provide residence time for melting these
high-temperature resins.

Dupont, properties, 30 pages

https://www.chemours.com/Teflon_Industrial/en_US/assets/downloads/h96518.pdf

https://wiki2.org/en/ETFE+Brights

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=tefzel&oq=tefzel&aqs=chrome..69i57j0j69i65j0l2j69i65.1975j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

__________________________

KYNAR

https://www.google.co.nz/search?num=40&ei=tQHDW-G7JJfWhwP4v62AAw&q=kynar&oq=kynar&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l10.74120.75319.0.75822.5.5.0.0.0.0.242.1141.2-5.5.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.5.1140...35i39k1j0i67k1j0i131k1.0.N1Y3XXq3sbk

Arkema
https://www.arkema.com/en/products/product-finder/range-viewer/Kynar-Fluoropolymer-Family/

Properties - 30 pages
NOT in Spanish - go figure.
https://espanol.kynar.com/export/sites/kynar-latam/.content/medias/downloads/literature/kynar-kynar-flex-pvdf-performance.pdf

https://wiki2.org/en/Polyvinylidene_fluoride+Brights
http://mailman.mit.
David C Brown
2018-10-14 09:17:59 UTC
No more labour intensive than soldering wires. Especially if you buy the
pre-stripped wires and use a decent wrap tool.
(Remember that I am talking prototyping here not production where
assembling a PCB is obviously far easier)

I think that Knylar insulation is used because it does not release toxic
gases when heated, which would be unfortunate in a space ship.

View/change your membership options
Peter Feucht
2018-10-13 11:48:55 UTC
Try

Solder Terminal Slotted Brass

Best regards Peter

Randy Dawson
2018-10-13 16:57:27 UTC
What you are wanting, is a 'machine pin socket'.

Jameco has them:

https://tinyurl.com/ybaj9u48
5MSIPP: Jameco Valuepro : Socket SIPP 5 Pin Machine Tool Female Socket Single Row : Interconnects<https://tinyurl.com/ybaj9u48>
Buy Socket SIPP 5 Pin Machine Tool Female Socket Single Row
tinyurl.com

________________________________
In order to mount a through hole resistor on a PCB whilst maintaining the
ability to change it easily one uses a pin which is a tight fit in the hole
and which is forked at the top for the resistor.
lead.
I am failing .to source some of these, probably because I don't know the
correct term to put into Google.
What on earth are they called?
David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak Phone: 01663 733236
Derbyshire eMail: ***@gmail.com
SK23 7ND web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb<http://www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb>
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>

*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
2018-10-14 02:31:28 UTC
Quoting David C Brown <***@gmail.com>:

> In order to mount a through hole resistor on a PCB whilst maintaining the
> ability to change it easily one uses a pin which is a tight fit in the hole
> and which is forked at the top for the resistor.
> lead.
> I am failing .to source some of these, probably because I don't know the
> correct term to put into Google.
> What on earth are they called?

You can try "slotted solder terminals". For example:

https://www.mill-max.com/assets/pdfs/243.pdf

These are designed to be swaged/staked into a PCB so they won't come loose
when the solder at the bottom melts.

The 3622 is press fit into a plated hole.

Of course if the Chinese bother to make these they'd probably be 1/10 the
price.

--spehro

David C Brown
2018-10-14 07:50:49 UTC
Again, those are very big. The 2.8mm mounting hole isn't really
consistent with 2.5 mm pitch boards

Jon Chandler
2018-10-14 11:04:50 UTC
I think you're after flea clips. Keystone electronics makes them. Part
number 1500 is in stock at Digikey and Mouser for 16 cents a piece.

Thanks! I've been meaning to look these up for a project brewing in my
mind. ;)

Bob Blick
2018-10-14 18:47:33 UTC
I remember those. I probably still have the insertion tool for them. Somewhere. A good reminder to get back to death cleaning!

Best regards,
Bob