[EE] LM124 Slew Rate vs Temperature? (-55C to 125C)
Jason White
2018-07-10 14:29:48 UTC
In my current design the operating temperature range is rather large: -55C
to 125C.

I am planning on using the LM124DT from ST in an analog PWM circuit. My
design uses a 0.5 to 4.5v triangle wave at 25kHz (required slew rate
0.2V/us).

The LM124DT has a "typical" slew rate of 0.4V/us at 25C. A minimum slew
rate is not specified and slew is not specified at other temperatures.
Other manufacturers such as TI don't seem to specify this either.

I would like to get an intuitive sense of how (or if) slew rate might
change over temperature. Additionally I'd like to get some opinions as to
whether 0.2V/us could be too fast for the LM124.

Thanks,
Jason White
Sean Breheny
2018-07-10 15:08:44 UTC
Hi Jason,

Is there a reason for using such an ancient op-amp? This is part of the
LM324 family which is only really ever used now in either ultra cost
sensitive devices or legacy designs. Except for cost, there are many
op-amps which are better in every regard.

I think you are right to be concerned. Slew rate depends on internal
capacitances, resistances, and current magnitudes. All of those are
temperature dependent AND manufacturing dependent. I would not be
comfortable assuming this part can do 0.2V/us unless either the datasheet
specified a minimum slew rate of more than that over all temperatures and
manufacturing variation OR if the typical value were at least 10x the
necessary value (2V/us).

Sean

Van Horn, David
2018-07-10 15:13:00 UTC
I don't know if it's true, but I like the comment attribuited to Bob Pease:
https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/ultrasonic-sensors
"National Semiconductors makes lots of good Op-Amps. The 324 isn't one of them."

I'd agree, it has "issues".

Jason White
2018-07-10 18:06:25 UTC
Hello David,

Can you outline the potential weaknesses of the LM324? I am perhaps a bit
naive with regards to the history and relative performance of this part.

-Jason White

Jason White
Van Horn, David
2018-07-10 18:19:19 UTC
The biggest one I hit was some bad crossover distortion, which we "solved" with a pullup resistor on the output.

Some other info:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/a-strange-problem-with-lm324.20769/ See post by Papabravo

https://e2e.ti.com/support/amplifiers/etc_amplifiers__other_linear/f/18/t/627753?LM324-Surprising-behavior-of-a-simple-amplifier
" Also it should be mention that the LM324 family is unstable and may produce a phase reversal if the input go under -300mV."

https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?209783-LM324-opamp-gain-instability

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/341843/adding-a-resistor-to-reduce-crossover-distortion-in-an-lm324-lm358

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/341843/adding-a-resistor-to-reduce-crossover-distortion-in-an-lm324-lm358/341853

https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?333332-HELP-OP-AMP-Using-LM324

Can you outline the potential weaknesses of the LM324? I am perhaps a bit naive with regards to the history and relative performance of this part.

-Jason White

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 11:13 AM, Van Horn, David < ***@backcountryaccess.com> wrote:

> I don't know if it's true, but I like the comment attribuited to Bob Pease:
> https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/ultrasonic-sensors
> "National Semiconductors makes lots of good Op-Amps. The 324 isn't one
> of them."
>
> I'd agree, it has "issues".

Jason White
Jason White
2018-07-10 18:03:32 UTC
Management was griping over having to pay $0.28/piece @ 2500qty. for the
-55C rating in a quad op-amp; to use a single $2.00 op amp would probably
take quite a bit of fight.

The LM124 was chosen because it is a "jelly-bean" op amp.
(1) it will probably be available in some form the next 30 years (hard
requirement) - the bar is set *really* low for a pin compatible replacement
to be put in.
(2) it is cheap
(3) it is rated for -55C operation
(4) it is "HV" rated. We are using a 15V supply that may be subject to
transients.

The issue is that I can't push too hard against the limitations of the
LM124, I don't want batch/manufacturer specific behavior. So I will have to
figure out a way around the slew rate. Probably by reducing the PWM
triangle wave to 1V peak-to-peak.

Out of curiosity what makes the LM324 family "bad"? Voltage swing? Slew
rate/bandwidth? Noise/Offset? All the above ;) ?

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 11:08 AM, Sean Breheny <***@cornell.edu> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> Is there a reason for using such an ancient op-amp? This is part of the
> LM324 family which is only really ever used now in either ultra cost
> sensitive devices or legacy designs. Except for cost, there are many
> op-amps which are better in every regard.
>
> I think you are right to be concerned. Slew rate depends on internal
> capacitances, resistances, and current magnitudes. All of those are
> temperature dependent AND manufacturing dependent. I would not be
> comfortable assuming this part can do 0.2V/us unless either the datasheet
> specified a minimum slew rate of more than that over all temperatures and
> manufacturing variation OR if the typical value were at least 10x the
> necessary value (2V/us).
>
> Sean
>

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 10:29 AM, Jason White <
> ***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In my current design the operating temperature range is rather large:
> -55C
> > to 125C.
> >
> > I am planning on using the LM124DT from ST in an analog PWM circuit. My
> > design uses a 0.5 to 4.5v triangle wave at 25kHz (required slew rate
> > 0.2V/us).
> >
> > The LM124DT has a "typical" slew rate of 0.4V/us at 25C. A minimum slew
> > rate is not specified and slew is not specified at other temperatures.
> > Other manufacturers such as TI don't seem to specify this either.
> >
> > I would like to get an intuitive sense of how (or if) slew rate might
> > change over temperature. Additionally I'd like to get some opinions as to
> > whether 0.2V/us could be too fast for the LM124.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jason White
> > --

Jason White
Sean Breheny
2018-07-10 18:28:01 UTC
There are several "generations" of op-amps

1st generation (late 1960s) - single op-amp per package, not internally
compensated, poor offset voltage, high input bias current, high input
offset current, weak output drive, restricted common mode input range,
restricted output swing
2nd generation (early 1970s) - modern pinout, internally compensated, same
issues with offset, bias current, etc.
3rd generation (late 1970s) - J-FET input op-amps introduced, input bias
and offset current greatly reduced, most of the rest is the same. Low
offset bipolar op-amps introduced.
4th generation (1980s) - workable CMOS op-amps, slower and slightly higher
offset, rail to rail input and output range
5th generation (1990s) - improved CMOS op-amps which have almost ideal
behavior (no input current, full rail to rail input and output voltage
range, reasonably fast, low-ish input offset voltage). Can work down to 2V
supply. Bipolar op-amps still have the absolute best input offset voltage
without resorting to special techniques like auto-zeroing.
5.5th generation (2000 to now) - wide range of op-amps employing special
internal tricks to achieve CMOS performance PLUS microvolt-level offset
voltage. Tricks involve variants of chopper-type amplifiers which work as
servo amplifiers to the main signal path, but many use pseudo-random
dithered switching frequencies to reduce aliasing and other effects.
Standard stability calculations may not work with these.

LM324, LM358, LM741 are all 2nd generation

Bob Blick
2018-07-10 20:12:55 UTC
Hi Jason,

I've used a lot of LM358 and LM258(industrial temperature version) opamps. They are basically the dual version of the quad you are describing.

To save money I always try to specify "any" manufacturer, so my design needs to allow for wide variations. Lately I've seen ST branded parts being used.

The biggest headache for me has always been related to the output stage being Class B. It can cause huge problems with closed-loop stability. If you have enough power budget, use a pullup or pulldown resistor to force Class A operation. If not, slow the opamp down with a feedback capacitor that's 10 times bigger than you think you need.

And yes, absolutely do not allow the input pins to be driven below the V- pin, it will cause the output to go high. And also bleed into the other opamp sections.

Best regards,

Bob

Denny Esterline
2018-07-10 20:54:47 UTC

> <Snip>
>

> To save money I always try to specify "any" manufacturer, so my design
> needs to allow for wide variations. Lately I've seen ST branded parts being
> used.

> <snip>

How do you manage to specify that and have board houses actually build it?
I have a board house that I've tried doing exactly that with simple
passives, and it's always a mess.
The last BOM specified "1k ohm 5% tolerance or better, 0805 size resistor -
any manufacturer"
and it resulted in three calls from them asking if XX was acceptable and
eventually them wanting me to authorize it in writing. Turned into a bit of
a fight and eventually
they claimed that they "have to have a MFG part number, it's part of their
ISO requirements".
Sean Breheny
2018-07-10 21:24:22 UTC
I don't know how Bob does it but I am used to seeing BOMs with 10+
alternate sources specified for passives.

Bob Blick
2018-07-10 21:50:01 UTC
Hi Denny,

Some CMs are easier than others, but I've always managed to get them to go along(for most parts). I always specify at least one manufacturer and corresponding part number(s), but I also have "ANY" and "EQUIVALENT P/N" listed. That way, if they feel uncomfortable substituting, they can go with a spec part. And they know that if the price isn't good enough, you'll be taking that job to the CM that gave a better bid.

I don't spec ANY for things like inductors, connectors, LEDs, etc.

Cheerful regards, Bob

Sean Breheny
2018-07-10 22:37:52 UTC
Have you ever been bitten by this policy, Bob?

I have definitely had people choose alternates for passives which were
problematic. For example, ceramic capacitors can vary in their voltage vs
capacitance variation. You can have two, say, 10uF, 0805, 25V ceramic caps
and one of them might have 6uF at 10V and another might have only 2uF at
10V.

I've also had problems with connectors where cheap knockoff connectors
didn't have the right plating and had much higher contact resistance (high
current battery connectors in this case).

Sean

Bob Blick
2018-07-10 23:23:29 UTC
Hi Sean,

Note that I said I never allow subs for connectors, inductors, LEDs etc.

I've never had a problem with capacitors, but I don't allow subs for ones that are important or likely to be problematic, especially Z5U or other high value ceramics or any that I need special characteristics, like if they will experience high ripple current.

And any subs must have the same tempco, tolerance, voltage etc, so they give me a Y5V when I want a Y7V cap.

Most CMs are cautious at first, but once they realize you know what you're doing, they will try to accommodate your needs and satisfy their own at the same time. And I've had them suggest subs to me on some jobs, either because they already have stock of something, or they think they can save us some money, or delivery time.

I've never used off-shore CMs, even though some of them do all or part of the work in China or Mexico, but the companies and my contact people have always been domestic. The smallest and largest companies have always been the easiest to deal with, it's only been the mid-size CMs that have been impatient with me.

Best regards, Bob

Van Horn, David
2018-07-11 16:05:07 UTC
I've had similar issues. The assembly houses are rightfully risk averse on these issues.
Currently I'm using Aligni to manage that side of things, with specified "Equivalent" (exact replacement) and "Alternate" (acceptable variation in some parameters) parts.
It's pretty slick in that Aligni also gives me a variance report on every build, so for any given batch of boards I know exactly what parts go into them.
That's important. If these things don't work then someone dies.

AB Pearce - UKRI STFC
2018-07-11 08:25:19 UTC
> Management was griping over having to pay $0.28/piece @ 2500qty. for the -55C rating
> in a quad op-amp; to use a single $2.00 op amp would probably take quite a bit of fight.
>
> The LM124 was chosen because it is a "jelly-bean" op amp.
> (1) it will probably be available in some form the next 30 years (hard
> requirement) - the bar is set *really* low for a pin compatible replacement to be put in.
> (2) it is cheap
> (3) it is rated for -55C operation
> (4) it is "HV" rated. We are using a 15V supply that may be subject to transients.
>
> The issue is that I can't push too hard against the limitations of the LM124, I don't want
> batch/manufacturer specific behavior. So I will have to figure out a way around the slew
> rate. Probably by reducing the PWM triangle wave to 1V peak-to-peak.

OK, so as you have discovered the slew rate is typically within spec at a specific temperature, with no limits in variation given.

How is management going to react when you point out that it is probably going to cost $5/chip to have them lot tested to be within spec over the whole temperature range, and when another lot is purchased for next years production they will need testing as well, especially if they are from a different manufacturer. This is the only way that you are going to be able to guarantee that the equipment will keep operating.

But when I see a spec that wants full military temperature range I have to ask just what is the end use.

And this 30 years business, is that 30 year operational life for the first ones off the line, or is there going to be production of this product for 30 years, or ... Somewhere along the line to reach any of the 30 year requirements money is going to need to be spent in ways they haven't imagined, like having the PCBs (and other bits) built to NASA/ESA build standards for reliability ...

Sounds like they want a $10 Voyager spacecraft ...

Denny Esterline
2018-07-10 16:24:34 UTC
Interesting question. Unfortunately all I have is wild speculation.
A brief glance at the datasheet shows a bipolar output stage.
In general, bipolar passes more current and has higher leakage at
elevated temperatures. Into a fixed load, I would expect that to
increase slew rate.
Part of the problem is that the load and all the other parameters
have temperature dependencies as well. The combined effect is
very unpredictable. Be fun to build a test fixture and measure
it though.....

The other thing I noticed in the datasheet is that the part is spec'd
to an absolute maximum junction temperature of 125 C. Effectively
that means you cannot use it at an ambient temperature of 125 C
as it wouldn't be able to dissipate any heat. That may or may not be
a problem for you, depending on whether the 125C is a real spec
or a "marketing spec".

I don't really know your application and design constraints, but a bit of
research found this one:
http://www.ti.com/product/OPA211-HT
Which has a slew rate of 27V / uS and is specified to a high temp of
210 C !!! (holy s*!t)

Jason White
2018-07-10 18:14:57 UTC
Hello Denny,

I didn't mention it but actually the effective operating temperature is
"around ~110C" I am actually more concerned with the -55C operating
specification. If what you say is true then the slew rate would slow at low
temperatures.

I suppose I will have to reduce the peak-to-peak voltage of my 25kHz
triangle wave to 1V to lower the slew rate requirement to ~1/10th the rated
slew rate.

I like the specifications on the OPA211 but I suspect price ($77 per chip
vs $0.28/chip) may a limiting factor here.

-Jason White

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 12:24 PM, Denny Esterline <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Interesting question. Unfortunately all I have is wild speculation.
> A brief glance at the datasheet shows a bipolar output stage.
> In general, bipolar passes more current and has higher leakage at
> elevated temperatures. Into a fixed load, I would expect that to
> increase slew rate.
> Part of the problem is that the load and all the other parameters
> have temperature dependencies as well. The combined effect is
> very unpredictable. Be fun to build a test fixture and measure
> it though.....
>
> The other thing I noticed in the datasheet is that the part is spec'd
> to an absolute maximum junction temperature of 125 C. Effectively
> that means you cannot use it at an ambient temperature of 125 C
> as it wouldn't be able to dissipate any heat. That may or may not be
> a problem for you, depending on whether the 125C is a real spec
> or a "marketing spec".
>
> I don't really know your application and design constraints, but a bit of
> research found this one:
> http://www.ti.com/product/OPA211-HT
> Which has a slew rate of 27V / uS and is specified to a high temp of
> 210 C !!! (holy s*!t)
>

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 7:29 AM, Jason White <
> ***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In my current design the operating temperature range is rather large:
> -55C
> > to 125C.
> >
> > I am planning on using the LM124DT from ST in an analog PWM circuit. My
> > design uses a 0.5 to 4.5v triangle wave at 25kHz (required slew rate
> > 0.2V/us).
> >
> > The LM124DT has a "typical" slew rate of 0.4V/us at 25C. A minimum slew
> > rate is not specified and slew is not specified at other temperatures.
> > Other manufacturers such as TI don't seem to specify this either.
> >
> > I would like to get an intuitive sense of how (or if) slew rate might
> > change over temperature. Additionally I'd like to get some opinions as to
> > whether 0.2V/us could be too fast for the LM124.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jason White
> > --

Jason White
Denny Esterline
2018-07-10 19:02:32 UTC
Fair point - there's also the OPA211AID series that's "only" rated to 150 C
But even the $7-$8 a piece is far more dear than the $0.28 your budgeting.

I don't know what you're building, or what market segment it has to sell in,
but - to me at least - the temperature range you specified and the idea of
balking at $0.28 parts does _not_ belong in the same project.

Personally, I found it quite amazing that there are parts rated to operate
above the melting temperature of solder...

Jason White
2018-07-10 22:53:18 UTC
Hello Denny,

I've talked some more with the customer today and curiously the "effective"
operating temperature range has been reduced to -40C to 70C. That makes my
life quite a bit easier.

I suspect I will still be sticking with 324 type part if I can.

-Jason White

Jason White