[OT]: Beautiful aerial photos taken by RC drone , then blammo
NOPE9 YES
2014-10-03 09:20:44 UTC
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/my-neighbor-blasted-my-drone-with-a-shotgun

gus in denver
Peter Johansson
2014-10-03 09:47:27 UTC
Big house under construction next to smaller, older house.... Sounds
more like neighbor issues than anything else.

-p.
John Ferrell
2014-10-04 01:50:37 UTC
Unfortunate, all the way around.
I have a small Quad, considering a larger one. I am a gun enthusiast as
well. I live in the country.
#1 Annoying a neighbor is just plain bad.
#2 Firing a gun in my neighborhood within 300 feet of a house is against
the law.
#3 Pictures from drones are invalid as evidence in North Carolina by law.

These devices can be real handy chasing down livestock (especially
horses), children, etc.
If I had an autonomous quad with an IR camera I might be able to
identify the members of the dog pack that have killed so many calves and
goats.
BTW, I have big dogs too, so I do not want to punish the innocent.

The erotic material on the internet is higher detail than a drone can
ever do.
If spying on a neighbor is the intent, Google maps works very well.
Absolute privacy has been an illusion for a long time.

I hope we can work this out without dumping it on the court system.
--
John Ferrell W8CCW
Julian NC 27283
--Diane Grant
NOPE9 YES
2014-10-04 04:09:05 UTC
John F ,
How much does a goat or calf mean in $$$ ?
How many have been killed ?
How large an area do the goats and calves inhabit ?
Small drones or battery powered sensors could detect
the dogs , relay the
info wirelessly and then a camera carrying drone could scoot
over to the scene of the crime.
Gus
John Ferrell
2014-10-04 15:53:46 UTC
Goats are valued at about $50 on the hoof. Most of them are pets around
here and money is not the problem.
Calves sometimes vary a lot in price but generally closer in the $25
range. Those I am most aware of are either Jersey or Holsteins. Dairy
Farmers are a very tender hearted lot. Even if a calf is destined for
the meat market it is not a simple matter of economics. They must have
mothers milk and protection from predators.
This is a mixed Agriculture area. A wandering Goat/Calf/Llama/Emu/Horse
belongs to someone. They are especially dangerous to night drivers so we
do what we can to help out.
This is not a frequent problem. However, we are a help each other kind
of community. My little 7 acre plot is embedded in the mix and the
animals are welcome here wild or domestic.
We are not vigilantes. With few exceptions unquestionable evidence
presented to the local law enforcement is sufficient to resolve the problem.
Good information is step one to a peaceful neighborhood.
--Diane Grant
RussellMc
2015-10-29 02:54:34 UTC
This seemed almost apposite to this old thread.

A drone "take down" in NZ two days ago.

Note:

- Drone was there by invitation

- Everyone is/was (apparently happy.

An almost perhaps maybe legal way to "take down" a drone.
Looks like it was purposeful. Achieving that level of skill might take me
several lifetimes.
Worth watching. You need to watch it twice (probably to see what you missed
the first time).

Russell