[PIC] ICD0083 Debug. Unable to enter debug mode.
David C Brown
2017-12-31 14:48:45 UTC
For some years I have used a Shuttle PC running windows XP as my lab
machine for debugging and programming mid range PICs such as the 16F87 and
16F87X using MPLAB 8.9. and an ICD2 Apart from the usual idiosyncrasies
associated with Microchip products it serves me well even if it is a bit
slow compiling.

Earlier this year I bought a used Thinkpad laptop running Windows 8 (32
bit) and decided to use that as my lab machine since it was newer and
faster and took up less desk space. So I installed MPl8.92, shifted the
ICD2 and set about programming. Unfortunately programming under the
debugger fails with the ICD0083 message.

After some desultory web searching and tinkering I gave up,and reinstated
the old Shuttle. But today my son, visiting for Christmas, installed
something called Virtual Box which allow me to run XP in a window on the
laptop And to my amazement I can use MPL8.92 successfully in this
scenario.

I suppose that I should be happy with this but I am puzzled and want an
answer as to why MPLab won't run under windows 8. The programming
hardware and all the cables are the same so cable length doesn't come into
it. Any ideas???

David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak Phone: 01663 733236
Derbyshire eMail: ***@gmail.com
SK23 7ND web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>

*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
Harold Hallikainen
2017-12-31 19:25:15 UTC
I wonder if it has to do with USB drivers. We had to go through some
monkey motion to get USB drivers installed. It's documented at
http://ftp.uslinc.com/ftp/Products/JSD-100/Documents/Technical/Windows%208%20USB%20Driver%20Installation.pdf
.

If it were a driver issue, though, I'd expect MPLAB to not see the ICD2 at
all.

I'm still running MPLAB 8.92 under Winows 7. It continues to work well.
I've tried migrating projects to MPLAB X without success.

Harold
David C Brown
2017-12-31 20:12:25 UTC
Just rechecked and it is windows 7 not 8 that I am running.

As you say: if it was a driver issue I would expect the ICD2 to fail
completely. As it is it connects OK; it will program Ok; it just
can't connect to the debugger in the PIC.

But that is the only difference. The cables are identical and I have
made new cables from the ICD2 to the chip. Baffled.

Harold Hallikainen
2017-12-31 20:33:08 UTC
I think I've seen a similar message when the chip holds a production
build. Then the debugger is enabled, even though I get that error message,
I am able to program the chip (with the debug build), and then everything
works. As I recall, the debugger is not there until you program the chip
with a debug build.

Probably too simple a solution to be correct, and that would not explain
the OS change breaking it...

Harold
Post by David C Brown
Just rechecked and it is windows 7 not 8 that I am running.
As you say: if it was a driver issue I would expect the ICD2 to fail
completely. As it is it connects OK; it will program Ok; it just
can't connect to the debugger in the PIC.
But that is the only difference. The cables are identical and I have
made new cables from the ICD2 to the chip. Baffled.
David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak Phone: 01663 733236
SK23 7ND web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
David C Brown
2017-12-31 22:33:48 UTC
The real puzzle is that the system is* almost *working. MPLAB can
connect to the chip, it can program the chip in both debug and release
modes. The only thing it cannot do is connect to the debug executive.
This and every other reference to the errror on the web suggests that the
problem is not in the USB but in the downstream cabling (there are several
reports that shortening the final cables has solved this problem). But
WTF should that be OS dependant?

Manu Abraham
2018-01-01 15:26:54 UTC
Post by David C Brown
The real puzzle is that the system is* almost *working. MPLAB can
connect to the chip, it can program the chip in both debug and release
modes. The only thing it cannot do is connect to the debug executive.
This and every other reference to the errror on the web suggests that the
problem is not in the USB but in the downstream cabling (there are several
reports that shortening the final cables has solved this problem). But
WTF should that be OS dependant?
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff540207(v=vs.85).aspx

WinUSB is a User Mode Driver framework, Kernelspace drivers comply more to
timing restrictions etc etc.. So, the userspace timing dictates your bus timing.
This is dictates your Near END/ Far END (NEXT/FEXT) crosstalk. IIRC correctly,
I've gone through this specific problem. Olin Lathrop has had a
suggestion for this
issue on this ML, a long time back. This did fix the issue for me.
There were other
issues such as WinUSB.dll getting corrupted and so on. On my veroboards,
I've had a series resistor and two capacitors near to the microcontroller.

To identify and isolate your problem firsthand, you can write some sample code
based on thoughts and ideas from:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff540174(v=vs.85).aspx#setup

and

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn376872(v=vs.85).aspx

Cheers,

Manu
Sean Breheny
2018-01-01 16:46:02 UTC
Hi Manu,

I never heard the term NEXT/FEXT before and when I Google it, it seems to
be talking about physical crosstalk. What does that have to do with the
timing issues you mention?

Just trying to understand! Thanks.

Sean
Manu Abraham
2018-01-01 17:08:58 UTC
Hi Sean,

Some time back, lot of hair loss, pulling them out. ;-)
I've had the issues with the ICSP crosstalk a long time back. Eventually, found
it was due to crosstalk.

NEXT/FEXT originated from old telecom stuff, IIRC.

http://www.flukenetworks.com/blog/cabling-chronicles/cable-testing-101-cross-talk-near-and-far

There were a few suggestions by Olin to reduce the crosstalk, on
different forums.
On his website, he mentions of a GND pin between PGC and PGD

http://www.embedinc.com/picprg/icsp.htm

Sorry, the Resistor/capacitor damping to prevent the fast edges were on the
Microchip forums, not on piclist. I dont remember the exact thread, there was
a small schematic (jpg) too, but unable to find the right url to the
original thread,
but you can see the discussion there.

http://www.microchip.com/forums/m214055.aspx

(*) About PGD and PGC filtering: There was a note on the Microchip
forum (by Olin Lathrop) about programming the dsPIC30F201(**),
suggesting to put 22..47 pF on the PGD and PGC lines to ground near
the target chip. In addition, put a 100 ohm resistor in series with
the PGD line between target chip and the cap. The resistor and cap on
the PGD line low pass filter the PGD signal when it is driven by the
target chip. This reduces the high frequencies that can couple onto
the PGC line. The cap on the PGC line makes it less suceptible to
coupled noise.
(**) We later found out that this important note also applies to the
PIC18Fxxxx family. A user of a Velleman PIC programmer reported
success with a PIC18F4520 after adding 2 * 33 pF caps and a 100 Ohm
series resistor.

Cheers,

Manu
Manu Abraham
2018-01-01 20:45:10 UTC
Hi Sean,

Two statements made me feel it's the timing. With the 3rd it was even
more evident.

The old machine:

"Apart from the usual idiosyncrasies
associated with Microchip products it serves me well even if it is a bit
slow compiling."

The new machine:

"Earlier this year I bought a used Thinkpad laptop running Windows 8 (32
bit) and decided to use that as my lab machine since it was newer and
faster and took up less desk space. So I installed MPl8.92, shifted the
ICD2 and set about programming. Unfortunately programming under the
debugger fails with the ICD0083 message."

How he got it working on the new machine:

"But today my son, visiting for Christmas, installed
something called Virtual Box which allow me to run XP in a window on the
laptop And to my amazement I can use MPL8.92 successfully in this
scenario."

This is what I understand:

#1. The old machine was slow and the I/O on the cable was okay.

#2. The faster userspace I/O on the newer system, caused a higher data rate
on the cable, which directly affected crosstalk. This broke communication.

#3. Now, the faster machine has a virtual machine, which slows down all I/O.
App->VM->OS->USB->serial in comparison to App->OS->USB->serial

(The additional introduction of the VM makes things working for him: all his
I/O is now delayed. Indirectly, it implies the same issue that the edges are
too fast for his cable. He needs to slow down the edges. :-)
R-C filter to damp it ? :-) Does that work ? points to FEXT, I must say)

In my situation, I had an even more funnier situation. The machine was the
same, but if i used a newer cable it would work for a few days. That cable
would behave exactly the same as the old one. Cable had no issues.
Eventually, I figured out that humidity and physical handling the cable a
few times had some effect to the cheap chinese cable. Likely the cable
behaved like a Transmission Line (?) with an increasing capacitance over
time due to a myriad factors.

Userspace drivers are okay if done correctly. But when userspace drivers
are available, it gives the user a chance to make clumsy stuff. But whereas
an in kernel driver, if you do that, everything blows apart. So, the user is
forced to write good applications in case of a kernelspace driver. The
downside is that a kernelspace driver is more difficult to handle in
comparison. This is the prime reason why the Linux kernel drags people
to go with kernelspace drivers instead of userspace drivers.

Cheers,

Manu
Sean Breheny
2018-01-01 21:10:49 UTC
Thanks for the reply, Manu. The thing I don't understand about your
explanation, though, is which cable are you saying has the crosstalk
issues? The USB cable or the cable between the ICD2 and the PIC? I would
have thought that all the timing in the ICD2<->PIC cable would be handled
by the ICD2, not the PC, so I don't understand why changing software on the
PC would affect it. If the issue were with the USB cable, then adding RC
filters to the ICS2<->PIC connection should have nothing to do with it.

Sean
Manu Abraham
2018-01-01 21:42:53 UTC
The cable between the ICD2 and the PIC was having the problem.
As you say, it should be handled by the PIC, true. Technically, it
should not affect.
Yes. But this was an observation at my end. Well, I have no true
explanation there.

Might need to look deeper into the firmware running on the PIC (ICD2) to get an
understanding of what's happening, when there is a change in the USB comms.

On the crosstalk, I had used 39pF ceramic discs.
This is Olin's explanation from his website on the cable crosstalk.

http://www.embedinc.com/picprg/icsp.htm

PGD to PGC Crosstalk

While this is really another circuit constraint, this issue is so
unintuitive, little known, poorly documented, but serious that it
deserves its own section.

The standard Microchip cable unfortunately puts PGD and PGC on
adjacent lines. Since this is a flat cable, this can and does lead to
crosstalk between the two in some cases. For writing to the target,
the programmer drives both lines. In that case a little low pass
filtering can be applied by the programmer to soften the edges and
reduce the coupled amplitude on one line from an edge on the other.

However, there is a case that must be addressed by the target circuit.
The PGD line is bidirectional, meaning it is sometimes driven by the
target PIC. In that case PGD is just a normal digital output on the
PIC. These are designed to drive from one state to the other as
quickly as possible. Such an edge produced on PGD by the target PIC
can couple onto the PGC line when using the standard cable supplied
with an ICD2, or any other cable where PGC and PGD are adjacent. The
target PIC then sees a PGC (clock) pulse that the programmer didn't
produce and the serial communication gets out of sync. The net result
is that programming appears to be flaky or not work at all.

This entire effect can happen within the time for the PGD edge to
propagate from the target PIC, thru the cable to the programmer, and
back thru the cable to the target circuit. This means that this
problem can not be solved at the programmer end of the cable. No
amount of clever circuitry at the programmer can make this issue go
away. It must be dealt with at the target circuit.

This issue is particularly important for dsPICs since they are faster
and therefore have stronger digital output drivers and faster edges
that couple better between signals. Although somewhat less severe, we
have observed this issue on programming 18F PICs. We don't recommend
assuming this won't happen on 16F or other PICs. We're not sure that
it doesn't, and ignoring it would essentially be relying on a maximum
digital output edge slope. This could easily change between
production lots, over temperature, or as new fab processes are brought
on line.

We recommend filtering the PGD output from the target PIC by adding
100 Ω in series followed by 47-100pF to ground. This limits the slope
of edges and attenuates the high frequecy components that can couple
from PGD to PGC. We also recommend adding the same capacitance to
ground to the PGC line close to where it enters the target board by
the programming connector. This reduces the impedence of the PGC line
at high frequencies, which reduces its susceptibility to crosstalk.

We had previously recommended 22pF for both capacitors instead of
47-100pF, but have meanwhile found cases where even 22pF was
insufficient. We feel that 47-100pF provides sufficient margin but is
still below the level where it could interfere with the normal
operation of the lines.

For example, the USBProg has 150 Ω output impedence on both lines.
150 Ω times 100pF is a time constant of 15nS, making the 90% settling
time about 45nS. This is small compared to the minimum 500nS time
from data to clock edges used by that programmer. Other Embed Inc
programmers have higher impedences and therefore longer time
constants, but also longer data setup times to compensate. All the
Embed Inc programmers will work with a additional 100pF load on the
PGC and PGD lines.

Cheers,

Manu
Allen Mulvey

Isaac M. Bavaresco
2018-01-02 02:05:02 UTC
Splitting the cable and separating the wires will increase the impedance
of the one wire that is not together with the ground wire.

It would be good if each signal wire had its own ground return wire.
2018-01-01 21:45:48 UTC
#1. The old machine was slow and the I/O on the cable was okay.
#2. The faster userspace I/O on the newer system, caused a higher
data rate on the cable, which directly affected crosstalk. This
broke communication.
#3. Now, the faster machine has a virtual machine, which slows down
all I/O. App->VM->OS->USB->serial in comparison to
App->OS->USB->serial
Yes, that was my theory too; which I expressed far too briefly as
a "race condition".

There's also a different USB controller in the faster machine.

The key message; USB sometimes works, and depends on many factors.

We all too frequently black-box it in our minds.
--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/
Manu Abraham
2018-01-01 21:55:17 UTC
#1. The old machine was slow and the I/O on the cable was okay.
#2. The faster userspace I/O on the newer system, caused a higher
#3. Now, the faster machine has a virtual machine, which slows down
all I/O. App->VM->OS->USB->serial in comparison to
App->OS->USB->serial
Yes, that was my theory too; which I expressed far too briefly as
a "race condition".
There's also a different USB controller in the faster machine.
There could be another aspect to the problem, too..

The new machine has a corrupt WinUSB,dll (userspace), the kernel space
WinUSB.sys is intact.

The Virtual machine doesn't access WinUSB.dll, but does system calls
directly, for VM optimizations. As a result when the VM is in use,
WinUSB.dll is not used.

Just another possibility.

Cheers,

Manu
David C Brown
2018-01-01 22:03:44 UTC
I have tried the RC filters suggested and they do not improve the situation.

For completeness I ought to say that the cable from the ICD2 to the target
uses one of those little RJ to single in line adaptors. There is about
two inches of flat cable from the ICD2 to the adaptor then six inches of
individual wires to the target. The only opportunity for cross talk is
in that two inches of flat cable.

Wouldn't a corrupt WinUSB.dll cause problems with other USB devices? And
can I simply replace WinUSB.dll to test this theory.?

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

James Cameron
2018-01-01 22:15:24 UTC
[...] Wouldn't a corrupt WinUSB.dll cause problems with other USB
devices?
Only if other applications used USB devices via that library; if they
use the system kernel library (such as for filesystem access), they
would not be affected.

Also there could be intentional "corruption", such as system updates,
shims, or malware, that have only been tested with more popular
devices.
And can I simply replace WinUSB.dll to test this theory.?
I expect so, but I'm not a Windows expert. Compare it across systems
you have access to.
--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/
Manu Abraham
2018-01-01 22:30:39 UTC
Post by David C Brown
I have tried the RC filters suggested and they do not improve the situation.
For completeness I ought to say that the cable from the ICD2 to the target
uses one of those little RJ to single in line adaptors. There is about
two inches of flat cable from the ICD2 to the adaptor then six inches of
individual wires to the target. The only opportunity for cross talk is
in that two inches of flat cable.
The Resistor and the 2 capacitors should be as close as possible to the
microcontroller, rather than the ICD2. There is six inches of wire again to the
target right, which makes it a total of 8 inches wire ? Try placing the resistor
and the capacitors no more than 1 or 2 inches away from the target.
Post by David C Brown
Wouldn't a corrupt WinUSB.dll cause problems with other USB devices? And
Not necessarily, only userspace USB communication I/O would be broken.
(This is a relatively slow communication method, in comparison to the kernel
space driver. Normal USB applications are unlike to use userspace
communications.)
Note that the data from the kernel space driver is copied to the
userspace driver.
Post by David C Brown
can I simply replace WinUSB.dll to test this theory.?
Possibly. IIRC MPLAB brings it's own drivers right ? There could be
multiple paths to
different versions of the same library name under windows.
So need to look for such oddities.

It is better to uninstall the WinUSB driver from within MPLAB and
reinstall it again
through the same process.

It might take a bit time to search for different copies of the library
with different names
there are different names to the same thing. I have one at my end
named STLinkWinUSB

Happy Snorkelling,

Manu
David C Brown

James Cameron
2017-12-31 20:32:37 UTC
Possibly a software interloper. A vectored filtering application
"protecting" you from malicious USB devices. Anti-virus tools.

You might test for this by either;

(a) install the same tools on the inner operating system on the VM,
or;

(b) disable or remove the tools from the outer operating system.

The other root cause that springs to mind is a race condition on
too-fast hardware, but that seems unlikely.
Peter
2017-12-31 22:58:49 UTC
Sorry James, Thunderbird seems to have defaulted to send direct as
Private message. Apologies.
Resent to Piclist.

I would tend to agree with James.

When you cross the XP / 7 and on-wards barrier, you do come up against
this sort of silliness , where sometimes software, sometimes hardware is
preventing access to the low level USB hardware (or other hardware),
because, it in fact thinks (this is specially true for W7 on-wards) your
connected hardware maybe malicious.

This is not necessarily pointing to your said possible antivirus
software, (third party or otherwise), which you may have installed.

One case, I saw was, "...that's old aka XP...". so software won't let
that connect or run...

Fix the naming conflicts in software and then things are different.

It seems to be, if you say it, many people just buy new...!

I say this because, knowing the insides of XP, and seeing the horror
show of moving almost anything in terms of XP connectable hardware to W7
on-wards, makes me shudder. I have spent years in this field, and still
W7 on-wards don't please me, with the things done to these OS's.

A recent example that happened, where I moved some image scanning
hardware from XP to W7. the horror show that unfolded lead me to
believe, that many manufactures (will not name them) do this simply for
revenue.

If I went down the path of the manufactures, the hardware would be dead
scrapped now. I refused this option.

However many of my customers, have taken the replace option and simply
scrapped their troublesome hardware and replaced with something else,
often from the same brand/manufacture.

I discovered what James is saying to be true, when I went deep into the
hardware/software trouble.

Now I have got past that silliness, but took some doing.

Don't think because it worked before on MS OS, that when you change to a
newer OS, it will work. Think again.

Also don't think that forcing compatibility will be the answer either!

It is in my opinion been planned this way.

If a hardware descriptor or key or both, and/or as James says: "...A
vectored filtering application..."
has simply stepped in. You may never really know, without lots of
headaches, the real cause.

In the past, I have fixed some OS upgrade, hardware conflict silliness
with software manipulation, some so simple it's not funny.

As for my scanning hardware, bypassing many bits of software, and
rehashing, it now works.

You may find it is the OS and not the hardware, causing the issue.

I still prefer XP. 32 or 64.

Peter.
Peter
2018-01-01 03:20:13 UTC
Hi David,

I have seen drivers part work / part fail before, on various hardware's.
7 OS does do some strange things, reasons unknown. The only fix for many
of these cases has been to contact the software vendor and try to get
them to twiddle with the driver, to fix the software/hardware
conflict/failure. However this has not always been possible or successful.

A driver installed in 7 may say all is good, and does go through it's
actions, where OS thinks all is okay, but driver part fails somewhere.

You mentioned your replacement laptop hardware is a Thinkpad. The vendor
to this brand, does run various pieces of big brother applications,
(depending on the build of the OS and if it has OEM modifications
installed), which could cause some conflicts. This is also a possibility.

However in your case, it could also be MS big brother intercepting the
driver possibly. 7 onwards are very different OS beasts to XP.

The VM-XP build, is just that a version, which makes the driver think it
is connected to an XP hardware machine. The driver does not know the
real situation.

The hook links between the VM-XP and 7 real hardware, do function. This
is all software manipulation stuff. VM has been a common work around to
the MS silliness to these OS variations which do dumb things.

So without reasonable digging, my points above are just guesses.

Lastly, when you start the VM-XP any software/hardware drivers inside
the VM-XP, (even though you know different, and this includes your real
connected hardware devices), thinks you have an OS-XP and hardware in
the real world!

Tricks with software. Sometimes frustrating!

Peter
David C Brown
2018-01-01 09:31:20 UTC
An interesting insight, Peter.
The advise that I take from that is that I should stick to running MPLAB
under XP in Virtual Box. I have no problem doing that other than being
puzzled at why I have to do so. And you have given me the simple two
word answer : carp software.

I suppose another option would be to try MPLAB-X though I am reluctant to
start climbing another learning curve.
Or to try ICD3 though that is substantial investment for a hobbyist,
especially when there is no certainty that it would work.

And it would be interesting to try it out on my W7 desktop when I have the
time and energy..

Like you I prefer XP but I had to move on when Dropbox stopped working on
it.

Peter
2018-01-01 11:00:48 UTC
Reply is inline below.
Post by David C Brown
An interesting insight, Peter.
The advise that I take from that is that I should stick to running MPLAB
under XP in Virtual Box.
Yes!
Post by David C Brown
I have no problem doing that other than being
puzzled at why I have to do so.
I would not bother staying puzzled over something MS has not improved!
It would take deep internal digging to find out why.
Unless you want to part-take in lots of headache stuff, I'd either build
up an XP machine to run your XP software, or stick with the VM-XP.
ie. have your lab XP and 7 to keep current.

I still have W98se which I use for special tasks. Which is kept isolated
on my network system, for obvious reasons. It does not see the outside
world.
I am typing this on a 7 but don't like it or use it much. I also have XP
(heavily customised), oh there is a 3.11 machine workable too.
My XP builds are so customised (I have written, added and replaced parts
of the XP OS), it was a horrible shock to run a 7-OS and even an 8.
I am shocked and saddened at computing of today!
If I want a real improvement I write it. Short of writing my own OS from
scratch. Many have said I should.
Post by David C Brown
And you have given me the simple two
word answer : carp software.
I hate to say yes.
Post by David C Brown
I suppose another option would be to try MPLAB-X though I am reluctant to
start climbing another learning curve.
Or to try ICD3 though that is substantial investment for a hobbyist,
especially when there is no certainty that it would work.
Big can of worms.
Post by David C Brown
And it would be interesting to try it out on my W7 desktop when I have the
time and energy..
Yes it would be interesting.
It could be the vendors laptop motherboard version, hardware, and OS not
fully in sync. This happens too.
Post by David C Brown
Like you I prefer XP but I had to move on when Dropbox stopped working on
it.
I hear you.

Peter.
2018-01-01 14:33:55 UTC
MPLab-X seems to have its own set of problems with connections to ICDs etc.

It has also dropped off some of the older debug hardware, so you would need to check the list of supported devices first before going that route.
RussellMc
2018-01-02 22:24:48 UTC
Post by David C Brown
And you have given me the simple two
​ ​
word answer : carp software.
​Seize the software?

:-)

David C Brown
2018-01-02 22:34:06 UTC
I thought that *carpe diem* meant "what a lousy day" :-)

View/change your membership option
a***@stfc.ac.uk
2018-01-02 23:15:26 UTC
Post by David C Brown
I thought that *carpe diem* meant "what a lousy day" :-)
Oh, I thought it meant the day needed oiling, like a seized bearing. :)))

Now where is that wine glass ...
Manu Abraham
James Holland
2018-01-01 17:19:35 UTC
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 14:48:45 +0000

From: David C Brown <***@gmail.com>
Subject: [PIC] ICD0083 Debug. Unable to enter debug mode.

For some years I have used a Shuttle PC running windows XP as my lab
machine for debugging and programming mid range PICs such as the 16F87 and
16F87X using MPLAB 8.9. and an ICD2 Apart from the usual idiosyncrasies
associated with Microchip products it serves me well even if it is a bit
slow compiling.

Earlier this year I bought a used Thinkpad laptop running Windows 8 (32
bit) and decided to use that as my lab machine since it was newer and
faster and took up less desk space. So I installed MPl8.92, shifted the
ICD2 and set about programming. Unfortunately programming under the
debugger fails with the ICD0083 message.
Its probably an older ICD2 that can't be updated to the later driver. I have a couple of those - I upgraded to an ICD3. Somewhere on line there is a tech note that gives the serial numbers.
James
Sean Breheny
2018-01-02 07:17:54 UTC
There is also such a thing as shielded twisted pair ribbon cable :)

A few years ago someone was selling it on eBay in by the foot. I bought two
10 foot sections just because I knew that such cable was rare and super
expensive if you had to find it new. This cable has 21 twisted pairs all
inside one shield with a flat plastic outer jacket.
Post by Isaac M. Bavaresco
Splitting the cable and separating the wires will increase the
impedance of the one wire that is not together with the ground wire.
There was (maybe still is) a commercial solution -- ribbon cable
with a 1 to 2 inch long flat section every 18 inches (maybe 12 in,
it's been a long time) for IDC connectors. Between flats, each
pair was seperate & twisted as interfaces using ribbon cables
usually alternated signal wires with ground wires. Twisted pair
ribbon cable was much more expensive & was highly constrained in
how close you could adjacent IDC connectors.
Post by Isaac M. Bavaresco
It would be good if each signal wire had its own ground return wire.
I've made my own ICD to PIC target cables using unshielded twisted
pair (UTP) wire. Each of PGC and PGD signal wires have a ground
wire twisted around it; ground is only connected at one end. Keep
cable as short as possible. I haven't had crosstalk problems.
Isaac M. Bavaresco
2018-01-04 02:25:10 UTC
I've made my own ICD to PIC target cables using unshielded twisted
pair (UTP) wire. Each of PGC and PGD signal wires have a ground
wire twisted around it; ground is only connected at one end. Keep
cable as short as possible. I haven't had crosstalk problems.
To keep the line impedance well controlled, you must connect the ground
on both ends, this way the signal return path is kept as close to the
signal as possible.
Connecting the ground on just one end may provide some shielding from
adjacent signals but won't reduce transmission-line effects.

Cheers,
Isaac

---
Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listi
David C Brown
2018-01-04 12:19:57 UTC
I have tested the same set up on a desktop machine running Win7 and it
fails in exactly the same way.
I have also tested it with the shortest possible cable - less than 5cm -
and still get the failure so I doubt that cross-talk is the problem.d
The logical conclusion is that, whatever Microchip say, MPLAP8.92 is not
fully compatible with Win7.
For XP emulators the lord be thanked :-)

http://mailman.mit.edu/
Manu Abraham
2018-01-04 12:49:34 UTC
Post by David C Brown
I have tested the same set up on a desktop machine running Win7 and it
fails in exactly the same way.
I have also tested it with the shortest possible cable - less than 5cm -
and still get the failure so I doubt that cross-talk is the problem.d
The logical conclusion is that, whatever Microchip say, MPLAP8.92 is not
fully compatible with Win7.
For XP emulators the lord be thanked :-)
I dont think it's a compatibility issue at all. Either something is
wrong in your system
(DLL corruption and or whatever), or there is still crosstalk, i must
say. There's no
logic in the compatibility issue.

Another way to debug (painful way) comparing USB messages being sent in both
the situations.

http://www.usblyzer.com/

Cheers,

Manu
David C Brown
2018-01-04 14:34:28 UTC
It is unlikely that the DLLs in two very different systems are corrupted in
the same way.

Although I describe myself as a hobbyist I worked for 40 years designing
digital logic and I know a great deal about the problems that crosstalk can
cause.

I have done more tests with the 5cm cable, keeping clock and data apart.
In both working and failing scenes the edge speed of the clock is tens of
nano seconds.

Manu Abraham
2018-01-04 15:14:45 UTC
Post by David C Brown
It is unlikely that the DLLs in two very different systems are corrupted in
the same way.
Although I describe myself as a hobbyist I worked for 40 years designing
digital logic and I know a great deal about the problems that crosstalk can
cause.
I have done more tests with the 5cm cable, keeping clock and data apart.
In both working and failing scenes the edge speed of the clock is tens of
nano seconds.
If the hardware is ok and the software is ok, then everything else is fine. :-)

AFAICS, WinUSB works with almost every system, without much problems.
MPLAB simply uses WinUSB.

Another option would be to try with another USB controller. In some rare
cases there are flaky USB controllers/Hubs etc.
Manu Abraham
2018-01-04 19:44:28 UTC
Post by Manu Abraham
Post by David C Brown
It is unlikely that the DLLs in two very different systems are corrupted in
the same way.
Although I describe myself as a hobbyist I worked for 40 years designing
digital logic and I know a great deal about the problems that crosstalk can
cause.
I have done more tests with the 5cm cable, keeping clock and data apart.
In both working and failing scenes the edge speed of the clock is tens of
nano seconds.
If the hardware is ok and the software is ok, then everything else is fine. :-)
AFAICS, WinUSB works with almost every system, without much problems.
MPLAB simply uses WinUSB.
Another option would be to try with another USB controller. In some rare
cases there are flaky USB controllers/Hubs etc.
Thinking a bit more:

What about driver signature enforcement ?
Maybe it is not allowing your driver not to start.
You might need to disable it with Windows 8

http://download.support.xerox.com/pub/docs/WF_6204/userdocs/any-os/en_GB/Disable_Driver_Signature_Enforcement-Win_8_8.1_10.pdf

Cheers,

Manu
David C Brown

Nicola Perotto
2018-01-04 12:59:35 UTC
Post by David C Brown
I have tested the same set up on a desktop machine running Win7 and it
fails in exactly the same way.
I have also tested it with the shortest possible cable - less than 5cm -
and still get the failure so I doubt that cross-talk is the problem.d
The logical conclusion is that, whatever Microchip say, MPLAP8.92 is not
fully compatible with Win7.
I use (often) MPLab 8.92 with Win7 and ICD2/3 and PicKit 2/3 without any problem.
You can try the informatics solution: uninstall then reinstall!
http
David C Brown
2018-01-04 14:37:41 UTC
That, of course, exactly what you would expect from a not *fully
compatible* program. Works on some and not on others Naturally I
have tried reinstalling and have also tried installing version 7 which
exhibits the same symptoms

William Westfield
2018-02-04 22:00:06 UTC
MPLAP8.92 is not fully compatible with Win7.
For XP emulators the lord be thanked :-)
I’m late, but…
Have you tried the various options under the “compatibility” tab of the shortcut properties?

BillW
Dwayne Reid
2018-01-04 18:06:23 UTC
Hi there.

For What It's Worth:

I'm currently using a PICKit 3 doing full debug
on a PIC16F1783 and 1784 (two different projects)
under Windows 7. One computer is a tiny netbook
running Win 7 32-bit, the other computer is a
full-size laptop running Win 7 64-bit.

Both work well - both for debugging the chip
directly as well as using what Microchip calls
the "Emulation Extension Pak" (AC244064). The
other name for this device is "Emulation Header" and it is truly awesome!

This board has the pic16f1789-ME2 bond-out chip
on-board. If you use the board with a PICKit3 or
ICD3, you get 32 breakpoints and some other
really nice features. But if you add a Real Ice
to the mix, you get pretty much all of the
features of the old ICE2000 emulator: unlimited
breakpoints, full trace capability, multi-level breakpoint triggers.

Do note that using the Emulation Header with the
bond-out chip requires MPLAB-X. Generally
speaking - I'm using MPLAB 8.92 directly with the
chip unless I need the extra resources that the
bond-out chip brings to the table.

I'm doing most of my development under MPLAB 8.92
and Win 7 because I'm still having major problems
running MPLAB-X under Windows 10. Stupid things
like the assembler not properly dealing with macro expansion and such.

I'm not comfortable with MPLAB-X. I truly wish
that the people who designed the debug user
interface had maintained the same function-key
assignments. Some of the new key assignments are just plain annoying!

Bottom line is that I'm not having any problems
doing in-circuit debug with the PICkit3 under Win
7 when using the 16f178x family.

dwayne
the same set up on a desktop machine running Win7 and it
fails in exactly the same way.
I have also tested it with the shortest possible cable - less than 5cm -
and still get the failure so I doubt that cross-talk is the problem.d
The logical conclusion is that, whatever Microchip say, MPLAP8.92 is not
fully compatible with Win7.
For XP emulators the lord be thanked :-)
David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak Phone: 01663 733236
SK23 7ND web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/Y؏‚‚‚‚Š”Ù[œ›ÛH^H]ch-a-sketch*
On 4 January 2018 at 02:25, Isaac M. Bavaresco
ˆZ\ˆ
HÀire. Each of PGC and PGD signal wires have a ground
ˆwire twisted around it; ground is only connected at one end. Keep
Post by Isaac M. Bavaresco
cable as short as possible. I haven't had crosstalk problems.
ˆÈÙY\H[™H[\Y[˜ÙHÙ[Àontrolled, you must connect the ground
Post by Isaac M. Bavaresco
on both ends, this way the signal return path is kept as close to the
signal as possible.
Connecting the ground on just one end may provide some shielding from
adjacent signals but won't reduce transmission-line effects.
Cheers,
Isaac
΋ËÝÝݢ]˜\ݘÛÛKØ[]š\\‚€£âÒУâ‡GG://www.piclist.com/techref/piclist
PIC/SX FAQ & list archive
Post by Isaac M. Bavaresco
Dwayne Reid <***@planet.eon.net>
Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd Edmonton, AB, CANADA
780-489-3199 voice 780-487-6397 fax 888-489-3199 Toll Free
www.trinity-electronics.com
Custom Electronics Design and Manufacturing