[EE]: ancient tc97208/tc97209 datasheet
andrew kelley
2018-02-17 04:43:30 UTC
Hoping someone on here may have a datasheet got the Toshiba tc97208/97209
memory chip. I think it's an eeprom, 32 pin dip. I can't for the life of me
get it to program but I can read it. Tried standard eeprom and flash algo
with no joy (with programming voltage present). The other boards use a St
28f256a which I found a datasheet for and got it to work.. it's a 90s
68hc11 processor based board. It is a flash or eeprom chip but can't find
any datasheet on it. Hoping maybe one of you all might have run across one
at some time.

Thanks, Andrew
Forrest Christian (List Account)
2018-02-17 08:37:29 UTC
Is there a datecode on this part?

I have a few toshiba databooks floating around, and some more on the web,
but none that I can find with that part number. Would like to narrow it
down to perhaps a year or two of when they were in production.

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 9:43 PM, andrew kelley <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoping someone on here may have a datasheet got the Toshiba tc97208/97209
> memory chip. I think it's an eeprom, 32 pin dip. I can't for the life of me
> get it to program but I can read it. Tried standard eeprom and flash algo
> with no joy (with programming voltage present). The other boards use a St
> 28f256a which I found a datasheet for and got it to work.. it's a 90s
> 68hc11 processor based board. It is a flash or eeprom chip but can't find
> any datasheet on it. Hoping maybe one of you all might have run across one
> at some time.
>
> Thanks, Andrew
> --

*Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
***@imach.com | http://www.packetflux.com
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian> <http://facebook.com/packetflux>
<http://twitter.com/@packetflux>
andrew kelley
2018-02-17 09:34:26 UTC
Chip says
"Toshiba TC97208AP
Japan 4F1518"

This is indeed out of a ChryCo vehicle. I've got one modified with a atmel
eeprom that will program in circuit, without much more than serial cable
and switch to bootstrap the hc11... Managed to get the st flash version
working, just this chip eludes erasing and programming. I've seen almost
every page on the internets with that part number on it that gargoyle would
turn up.

Thanks for your help.
andrew kelley
2018-02-17 09:35:55 UTC
Production date is sometime in 1994/1995 on the unit itself if that helps
narrow it down.

William Westfield
2018-02-18 03:15:59 UTC
> Toshiba tc97208/97209 memory chip. I think it's an eeprom, 32 pin dip.

A lot of those early 90s era memroy chips with “7” in the part number are OTP EPROM (ie UVEPROM chips in cheap plastic packages with no window.) They may not be re-programmable.

BillW

andrew kelley
2018-02-18 04:11:06 UTC
Hrmm. I hope not. There exists code that's supposed to program it but it
doesn't work.. the other units that have the 32 pin st chips are able to
program, I don't see why they'd use a 32 pin chip except for perhaps flash
before shipping and it's done, that's it. (But then I ought to be able to
program it blank it out to all 0's and finish it off & just not erase)
that's not working either thus my datasheet quest. If no one here has it or
connections at Toshiba I think it's a dead end unless some y'all got a
clever idea to figure it out by trial and fail.

http:/
s***@agilent.com
2018-02-19 01:04:11 UTC
"(But then I ought to be able to program it blank it out to all 0's and finish it off & just not erase )"

Hi Andrew - not sure exactly what you mean here but "blank" NV memory generally means all 1's. If you "blank" it by writing 0's to it you probably won't be able to program it. Erasing will usually (always?) set the memory to all 1's.

Stephen

andrew kelley
2018-02-20 03:04:58 UTC
Correct. But if I can write 0s to it (which I can't) proves something in
this code isn't right. I can't erase it either. If it was otp, I could at
least 0 out the chip and not be able to erase..

Well, I guess I'll just end up modifying the boards and repotting them
since absolutely no one has a DS on it. Nothing on Google for a ds, found
some code but it doesn't work. This was my last try.

Thanks all.
Andrew

2018-02-20 05:48:12 UTC
Right - I understand now...

Sometimes it's better to just get on with it. Rabbit holes to dead ends don't help a project!
Good luck.

Stephen

2018-02-20 15:41:07 UTC
It would not surprise me to find that this was a mask rom. I looked
through all of the databooks that I could see for the time period that you
were talking about, and nothing even close to that part number exists.
However, mask roms of similar size to what you described do exist.

I know some vendors label the mask roms with a 'special' part number which
identifies which mask got 'programmed' into the chip.

Bob Blick
2018-02-20 19:08:16 UTC
Don't give up, this just arrived.
Found this in the admin trash from a user writing from his work address.
Bob

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f21/345373-custom-cal-data-other-stuff-3.html

http://margo.student.utwente.nl/stefan/chipdir/f/eeprom.htm

TC97208 Toshiba 32k*8 eeprom.