[EE] RF absorbers for LOW frequencies
David Van Horn
2018-11-01 16:32:28 UTC
Is there an absorber that isn't crazy expensive, that will give me 4 or 5 dB attenuation in a thickness of around a foot or less, at 0.5 MHz?
Not a reflector like metal, but an absorber that will give the energy somewhere to die.
Jean-Paul Louis
2018-11-01 17:02:15 UTC
Look for the material used in anechroic chambers. Should still work a 500kHz
Jean-Paul N1JPL

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 12:35 PM, David Van Horn<***@backcountryaccess.com> wrote: Is there an absorber that isn't crazy expensive, that will give me 4 or 5 dB attenuation in a thickness of around a foot or less, at 0.5 MHz?
Not a reflector like metal, but an absorber that will give the energy somewhere to die.
http://mailman.m
David Van Horn
2018-11-01 17:08:04 UTC
It doesn’t. Those guys don’t even look at anything below 30 MHz.
One outfit said they could make a version for me but the cones would have to be something like 100’ long.
That means that their absorber is about as good as air.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android<https://go.onelink.me/107872968?pid=InProduct&c=Global_Internal_YGrowth_AndroidEmailSig__AndroidUsers&af_wl=ym&af_sub1=Internal&af_sub2=Global_YGrowth&af_sub3=EmailSignature>

Sean Breheny
2018-11-01 17:10:30 UTC
Have you tried IC ESD foam (the conductive black kind)?

David Van Horn
2018-11-01 17:17:36 UTC
Not yet. I know it works well at VHF and above. I was actually in a bit of an argument over this stuff years ago, where I suggested it and someone was insisting it wouldn't work, then someone who does stealth coatings stepped in and commented it worked quite well but was rather unsuitable for aircraft skin. 😊

http://mailman.mi
AB Pearce - UKRI STFC
2018-11-01 18:10:08 UTC
I would be tempted to try and make some cones out of a soft wood like pine (deal) or balsa.

The 100' long figure mentioned earlier would be to make a 1/4 wavelength pyramid for an anechoic chamber, as you are looking for <6db attenuation I suspect that something lossy like soft wood will do.

But that brings up the nature of what you want such low attenuation for? If it is to introduce a loss between transmitter and receiver you might be better doing a lossy labyrinth out of softwood or IC foam. This may also work to be a better way of getting the loss you want than a pyramid anyway.

I know that there is an epoxy called Ecosorb around, but I don't know what the cost would be or how lossy it would be at such a low frequency. They are using it here to make an anechoic set of pyramids with around 45 db reflection loss at >50GHz.

http://mailman.m
John Ferrell
2018-11-02 02:03:32 UTC
Long, Long ago when I was a field engineer with IBM in Ohio a customer
placed a call that their computer room smelled hot all over the place.

Since they were (are) a large installation with several main frames in a
computer room that was big enough for half a dozen basketball courts no
one was laughing.

Much of the power used was supplied by 400hz rotary generators in three
phases.  After pulling a lot of raised floor panels the odor was well
distributed throughout.

It seems that someone decided that the 400hz stuff needed to be placed
in metallic conduits. The induced current was enough to warm the
conduits and stink. The following weekend

the electricians removed the the metallic conduits.  The time frame was
the mid 1980's.  There are probably a lot of better ways.
--
John Ferrell W8CCW
Julian NC 27283
http://mailman.mit.edu/ma
John Gardner
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/lis
m***@tutanota.com

http://mailman.mit.edu/mailm
Sean Breheny
2018-11-02 03:02:03 UTC
I think the problem with water is that it will reflect a lot. Dave really
needs something that has a complex dielectric constant (like water) but
where the magnitude of the constant is close to 1, at the frequency of
interest.