[OT]:: Quiet be the list ...
RussellMc
2018-05-25 11:18:18 UTC
Open Channel D
Or, is it me.
David C Brown
2018-05-25 12:08:34 UTC
Shhh. People are sleeping

David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak Phone: 01663 733236
Derbyshire eMail: ***@gmail.com
SK23 7ND web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>

*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
Post by RussellMc
Open Channel D
Or, is it me.
RussellMc
2018-05-25 12:38:37 UTC
Post by David C Brown
Shhh. People are sleeping
​Them that asks no questions
Won't be told no lies
So, watch the wall my darlings when the gentlemen ride by.

... garglabet ...

Hmm - words not quite right

http://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/poems_smuggler.htm

Russell

________________________________

A Smuggler's Song

Rudyard Kipling

IF you wake at midnight, and hear a horse's feet,
Don't go drawing back the blind, or looking in the street,
Them that ask no questions isn't told a lie.
Watch the wall my darling while the Gentlemen go by.

Five and twenty ponies,
Trotting through the dark -
Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk.
Laces for a lady; letters for a spy,
Watch the wall my darling while the Gentlemen go by!

Running round the woodlump if you chance to find
Little barrels, roped and tarred, all full of brandy-wine,
Don't you shout to come and look, nor use 'em for your play.
Put the brishwood back again - and they'll be gone next day !

If you see the stable-door setting open wide;
If you see a tired horse lying down inside;
If your mother mends a coat cut about and tore;
If the lining's wet and warm - don't you ask no more !

If you meet King George's men, dressed in blue and red,
You be careful what you say, and mindful what is said.
If they call you " pretty maid," and chuck you 'neath the chin,
Don't you tell where no one is, nor yet where no one's been !

Knocks and footsteps round the house - whistles after dark -
You've no call for running out till the house-dogs bark.
Trusty's here, and Pincher's here, and see how dumb they lie
They don't fret to follow when the Gentlemen go by !

'If You do as you've been told, 'likely there's a chance,
You'll be give a dainty doll, all the way from France,
With a cap of Valenciennes, and a velvet hood -
A present from the Gentlemen, along 'o being good !

Five and twenty ponies,
Trotting through the dark -
Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk.
Them that asks no questions isn't told a lie -
Watch the wall my darling while the Gentlemen go by !
View/change your membership options
AB, Pearce - UKRI STFC
2018-05-25 13:15:31 UTC
Post by RussellMc
Post by David C Brown
Shhh. People are sleeping
​Them that asks no questions
Won't be told no lies
So, watch the wall my darlings when the gentlemen ride by.
... garglabet ...
Hmm - words not quite right
http://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/poems_smuggler.htm

Goodly few years since lest seeing those words, 'though have thought about them occasionally over the years.

Takes me back to primary school days ...

The other one in a similar vein was

"The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed on cloudy seas"

Yep, garglabet know that one too ...

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43187/the-highwayman
http://mailman.mi
RussellMc
2018-05-25 14:28:03 UTC
The Highwayman came riding, riding, riding.
THMCR up to the old inn door.
... Beth ...
De la mere?
Nope. Noyes.
And Bess.

Ah. Memories.

*Look for me by moonlight;*
*Watch for me by moonlight;*
*I’ll come to thee by moonlight, though hell should bar the way!*

It did. This was not a good idea.

Which takes me to Helm's Deep.
Very nicely done.
The battle close to lost.
No chance of succour.
And ...
What had Gandalf said?
"Look for me on the morning of the third day".
They seemed to have forgotten.
I'd forgotten.
Gandalf hadn't.
I recall noting that riding down a hill like that was an awesome feat,
based on the fear levels generated while having done less on a motorcycle
in days of yore

Now you're going to have to look it up to see if I remembered it aright.
Or, at least, I am :-).

Russell

Must be some PIC stuff due any moment now:-)
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinf
David VanHorn
http://mailman.mit.ed
Phillip Vogel