[EE] micro-miniature shielded cable needed
Art
2018-11-23 00:12:28 UTC
Hi All,

I'm nearing the end of the PCB design phase for my PIC project, and now
I need to consider how to interface it with the outside world. It will
be located in an extremely high rf environment, so shielded cable will
be needed.

I'm looking for ultra-miniature shielded cable. In the past, I've used
Shielded IDE cables....which only provided partial shielding. The
salvaged IDE cables have a built in very fine copper mesh on one side of
the cable.

I need something with better shielding. It must be small diameter and
somewhat flexible.....RG174 type coax is far to large.

I've seen sub-micro sized coax in scraped wireless routers and similar
products, but never saw (or found a source for) it available for
purchase. The cable will not need to conduct rf, but it will need to
shield against rf entry into my project and it needs to be somewhat
flexible. It will carry very low currents and voltages (PIC I/O limited
to 3 volts max).

I need about 12 feet in 3 pieces. Two conductor shielded cable is ok as
well.

This is for a prototype, so I can get by with sacrificed durability
initially.

Any ideas?

TY

Art
Jean-Paul Louis
2018-11-23 00:46:05 UTC
Art,

This should do what you need

https://www.mouser.com/new/tempflex/tempflex_microminiature/
Post by Art
[...]
Just my $0.02,

Jean-Paul
N1JPL
Harold Hallikainen
2018-11-23 00:47:00 UTC
Post by Art
Hi All,
I'm nearing the end of the PCB design phase for my PIC project, and now
I need to consider how to interface it with the outside world. It will
be located in an extremely high rf environment, so shielded cable will
be needed.
Is small coax ok? I've used this:
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/238/linxtechnologies_10302017_CSI-UFFR-ccc-UFFR-1218846.pdf
..

Harold
--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com
Not sent from an iPhone.
Art
2018-11-24 12:55:02 UTC
Thanks to you both!!!

The small coax is pretty pricey, for what it is::> It's a pity, with
regard to the 'smallness', I don't need rf type (high quality)
dielectric, as long as the shielding is good. I was hoping to find more
reasonably priced (and well shielded) miniature shielded cable though,
especially if it's less pricey.

Again, thanks....and thanks to all who contribute to the list and those
who administer it.

Art
Bob Blick
2018-11-26 02:07:40 UTC
Hi Art,

I like RG178. Solders easily and doesn't melt. 0.072 diameter.

Best regards,
Bob

RussellMc
2018-11-26 06:18:05 UTC
Apart from the need to buy by the reel (100,500,1000 ... feet) some of
these would probably suit.
From $US0.20c/foot (x 1000 feet)
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/cables-wires/coaxial-cables-rf/475?FV=ffe001db&quantity=0&ColumnSort=1000011&page=1&k=miniature+coax&pageSize=25

Russell