[OT]:: Salt Water Concrete
RussellMc
2021-05-27 04:27:44 UTC
The 'trick' is to use basalt reinforcing to avoid steel corrosion issues.
I'd not heard of basalt rebar before.
Twice as strong as steel.

https://www.monolithic.org/blogs/presidents-sphere/salt-water-concrete-a-reality?fbclid=IwAR2vtnDzySzzy2OHGm_fM09dgswB9YuuwMSOUOHE00I-peMRrWiLFvI7jk8

Russell
Ryan O'Connor
RussellMc
2021-05-27 04:52:10 UTC
Post by Ryan O'Connor
Neither. That could be a game changer for tunnels and bridges though?
Things are hell expensive to maintain because of the rusting steel
long-term.
Things like eg the wharf at Tolaga Bay would last about forever :-)

The Pantheon and the Parthenon are built of unreinforced concrete.
~= 2000 years on they are doing quite well.

NONE of our modern conventionally steel reinforced structures will last
anywhere near that long.
eg epoxy coated steel may. Add heavy galvanising for extra points.

Russell
Ryan O'Connor
2021-05-27 05:01:13 UTC
Epoxy coated steel wouldn't help too much, the epoxy would crack with
movement and allow moisture in. And galvanizing is a sacrificial coating so
it wears out as it oxidises. So I agree with your statement that no modern
steel reinforced building would last 2000 years. But with a roman cement
mix and those basalt epoxy rebars they might have a chance.
William Westfield
2021-05-30 01:42:31 UTC
NONE of our modern conventionally steel reinforced structures will last anywhere near that long.
Cynically: especially not the ones we tear down deliberately just to build something essentially similar!