[EE] Removal of steel ball bearing in iron casting using magnets?
Jason White
2018-07-14 21:31:42 UTC
Hello All,

A 1/8" steel ball bearing has fallen to the bottom of a 2.5" deep 5/64"
hole in a large iron casting.

It is feasible to use magnetics to remove the bearing?

I suspect not but perhaps it is a failure of my imagination.

The hole is the oil passage to the spindle bearing of a small lathe. The
ball is blocking oil from entering the spindle bearing and must be removed.

The ball bearing is loose in the passage. If I could flip the lathe upside
down it would probably fall out of the hole.

Currently it seems I will have to tear the lathe apart to get the ball out.

Thanks,
Jason White
David VanHorn
2018-07-14 21:40:18 UTC
Probably difficult since the casting is magnetic and the bearing may be
stainless steel which is mostly non magnetic. Can you get a tube in
there? You might be able to suck the bearing onto the end and get it out
that way.
Jason White
2018-07-14 21:57:42 UTC
I tried using a shop vac with a short length of silicone tubing and duct
tape. Unfortunately it triggered the bypass even before putting it into the
hole.
Post by David VanHorn
Probably difficult since the casting is magnetic and the bearing may be
stainless steel which is mostly non magnetic. Can you get a tube in
there? You might be able to suck the bearing onto the end and get it out
that way.
gmail.com>
Post by Jason White
down it would probably fall out of the hole.
Currently it seems I will have to tear the lathe apart to get the ball
out.
Post by Jason White
Thanks,
Jason White
Isaac M. Bavaresco
2018-07-14 22:18:17 UTC
Use a thin-walled rigid tube, and turn on the vacuum only after the tube is
in contact with the ball.

Post by Jason White
down it would probably fall out of the hole.
Currently it seems I will have to tear the lathe apart to get the ball
out.
Post by Jason White
Thanks,
Jason White
View/change your membership op
Peter

Isaac M. Bavaresco

http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listi
Jason White
2018-07-14 22:27:00 UTC
The oil passage leads to a closed cavity - the spindle bearing. It is
relatively well sealed even without the blockage. I think pumping in the
other direction could free it, but I lack a suitable vacuum pump.

Post by Jason White
I tried using a shop vac with a short length of silicone tubing and duct
tape. Unfortunately it triggered the bypass even before putting it into
the
Post by Jason White
hole.
Post by David VanHorn
Probably difficult since the casting is magnetic and the bearing may be
stainless steel which is mostly non magnetic. Can you get a tube in
there? You might be able to suck the bearing onto the end and get it
out
Post by Jason White
Post by David VanHorn
that way.
gmail.com>
Post by Jason White
Post by Jason White
down it would probably fall out of the hole.
Currently it seems I will have to tear the lathe apart to get the
ball
Post by Jason White
Post by David VanHorn
out.
Post by Jason White
Thanks,
Jason White
Kirby Kirby
2018-07-14 22:29:27 UTC
A bit of axle grease on the end of a screwdriver?
Post by Isaac M. Bavaresco
Post by Jason White
tape. Unfortunately it triggered the bypass even before putting it into
the
Post by Jason White
hole.
Post by Isaac M. Bavaresco
Post by Jason White
Post by David VanHorn
stainless steel which is mostly non magnetic. Can you get a tube in
there? You might be able to suck the bearing onto the end and get it
out
Post by Jason White
Post by David VanHorn
that way.
gmail.com>
Post by Jason White
Post by David VanHorn
Post by Jason White
hole in a large iron casting.
It is feasible to use magnetics to remove the bearing?
I suspect not but perhaps it is a failure of my imagination.
The hole is the oil passage to the spindle bearing of a small
lathe.
Post by Isaac M. Bavaresco
Post by Jason White
The
Post by Jason White
down it would probably fall out of the hole.
Currently it seems I will have to tear the lathe apart to get the
ball
Post by Jason White
Post by David VanHorn
out.
Post by Jason White
Thanks,
Jason White
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailma
Peter
2018-07-15 00:39:08 UTC
1. Put tube (solid wall type of tube eg. poly pipe for dripper etc.) in
hole,

2. Attach tube to suitable container,

3. Attach vacuum to same suitable container,

4. Drill (cut or otherwise) a suitable size hole to allow vacuum to be
varied eg. inch hole,

5. block hole as needed to allow vacuum motor to still create enough
suction,

6. Bearing will suck to end of tube, if careful (I have needed to
similar before),

7. Slowly and carefully pull out tube with vacuum running, with desired
hole blocked as required.

Good luck!!

Peter
Post by Jason White
down it would probably fall out of the hole.
Currently it seems I will have to tear the lathe apart to get the ball
out.
Post by Jason White
Thanks,
Jason White
AB Pearce - UKRI STFC
2018-07-14 22:09:29 UTC
If the tube is a little smaller diameter than the ball, and the end is cut nice and square it should be possible to generate enough vacuum to keep the ball on the end of the tube as it is withdrawn. I'm thinking you probably need to generate a continuous vacuum such as from a Weller desoldering tool, as there will probably be enough air leakage past the ball as it will not be a great seal, even with great care taken in facing the end of the tube.

smplx
2018-07-14 23:38:24 UTC
small stick with some sort of glue on the end?

two small sticks with thin wire loops such that one loop goes through the
other. carefully push each loop around and under the BB. Then slowly pull
them up together so that the loops form a basket around the BB as you pull
them up. probably need to experiment with the lengths of the loops.

if you clog the hole at the end of the passage could you later without
causes problems past the hole? If so, what about floating the BB out with
mercury :-)
Dr Skip
2018-07-14 22:42:09 UTC
Try a piece of stiff (hdpe kind) tubing with 1/8" ID and push over it. Either friction or slight suction should hold it while you lift.

Or some variation of that with a rubber vacuum line for better friction.

Or a long handled teaspoon to coax/scoop it up the side.

Or one of those pronged extendable grippers on a cable for getting small parts out.

Or inverted duct tape on the end of a stick (if no oil in there), or fashion a scoop out of tape at the end of the stick to scoop it.

Or some combination of the above.... ;)
Anthony Nixon
2018-07-15 00:15:37 UTC
What about a small magnet inside and right at the end of a flexible
plastic tube. The tube will help insulate the magnet from the casting
and might enable you to push the tube around the oil gallery. The ball
bearing will hopefully stick to the magnet at the end of the tube and
can be removed.

cheers

Tony
Peter
2018-07-15 01:19:24 UTC
Post by Dr Skip
Or inverted duct tape on the end of a stick (if no oil in there), or fashion a scoop out of tape at the end of the stick to scoop it.
Yes! Don't under estimate cloth Gaffa tape "3m" or "Nashua" or other brand.

As a seasoned photocopier technician, I know the OP's pain.

I was on a remote clients site, at the time I dropped a full stainless
steel screw, where it should not have gone. Lateral thinking part of my
brain went into overdrive that day!

The technicians MUST haves in the tool kit!

1. Industrial strength super glue,

2. Industrial strength cloth Gaffa tape,

3. Short and long pearl catch claws.

Peter
Peter
Peter
2018-07-15 01:01:37 UTC
From good quality tool stores, you can get, telescopic extendible
extractor with exceptionally strong magnet on the end.

Before doing any serious disassembly or other operations, go get one of
these tools and try. May or may not work, but at least try.

Don't get one from a cheap shop, seek out high quality, the magnet is
better.

You only need a sniff of iron in the bearing, and the strongest magnet
may be enough to help out, you won't know if you don't try!

Good luck!

Peter.
Allen Mulvey
2018-07-15 02:21:54 UTC
Some time ago I did something like this. I was not able to
pick up the object but I could "walk" it up the wall with a
magnetic retrieval rod. The rod kept sticking to the wall
anyway so I just gave it a try and it worked.

Allen

--
http://www.piclist.com/techref/piclist PIC/SX FAQ & list
archive
RussellMc
2018-07-15 10:07:22 UTC
Post by Jason White
Hello All,
A 1/8" steel ball bearing has fallen to the bottom of a 2.5" deep 5/64"
hole in a large iron casting.
​I'm surprised that nobody has noted that a 1/8" = 8/64" dia ball in a
5/64" hole is quite a good [tm] interference fit.

Perhaps one of those dimensions is incorrect?

If there is some clearance between ball and bore, to add to the many
suggested methods, might a tube of suitable diameter be insertable down
past the ball centrepoint and compressed air blown in to create an outflow
from behind the ball? Adding grease may help to form a plug to be blown
clear.

Desperation" Can you bore or drill or grind the ball - they are extremely
hard, so probably not.

Russell
http://mailman.mit.edu/
Jason White
2018-07-15 11:44:56 UTC
Typo, 1/8 and 9/64" (estimated dimensions).

I've tried shop vac and tube, adhesive/grease, magnet, and seal pick. The
rest of the methods start to get beyond the resources I have available.

The fact that using "super glue on a stick" failed makes me start to think
that perhaps the ball is more stuck than I think it is.

I may have to disassemble the lathe to try anything else.
Jason White
2018-07-15 14:35:07 UTC
Success!

The external bypass valve definitely was the solution.

First I had to drill out the 9/64" passage to 1/4" all the way down to the
ball bearing. The drill striking the ball seemed to loosen it. After that
it took about 30 minutes of prodding with a seal pick and (pulsed)
vacuuming to free it.

After that I flushed the bearing with solvent and then oil. A lot of crud
came out and now the spindle is spinning a lot more freely.

I am back in business.

Thanks Everyone!
-Jason White
John Ferrell
2018-07-15 21:08:35 UTC
Congratulations and thank you for the thread.  I am sure we all learned
a bit.
Post by Jason White
Success!
The external bypass valve definitely was the solution.
First I had to drill out the 9/64" passage to 1/4" all the way down to the
ball bearing. The drill striking the ball seemed to loosen it. After that
it took about 30 minutes of prodding with a seal pick and (pulsed)
vacuuming to free it.
After that I flushed the bearing with solvent and then oil. A lot of crud
came out and now the spindle is spinning a lot more freely.
I am back in business.
Thanks Everyone!
-Jason White
--