[EE] Prototype membranes / decals
K S
2018-10-26 05:29:08 UTC
Hi list.

For PCBs we have fantastic (quick / cheap / quality) services such as
allpcb.com.

Does anyone know of a similar service for membranes / decals? And also
possibly for machined plastic or metal parts? Hopefully with a simple web
interface for specifying and uploading designs and getting an immediate
quote, and with nicely priced worldwide delivery?

TIA.
Jim
2018-10-26 12:28:15 UTC
Try Protomold for the plastic parts

Regards,

Jim
Harold Hallikainen
2018-10-26 19:14:39 UTC
I have not used them, but I've seen ads for
https://www.frontpanelexpress.com/ that look interesting.

Harold
K S
2018-10-29 04:11:54 UTC
Post by Harold Hallikainen
https://www.frontpanelexpress.com/ that look interesting.
Thank you. Yes, I do know of this operation but they do metal panels
(and seemingly quite reasonably priced!) not the membrane / polycarb
decals.
K S
2018-10-29 04:15:31 UTC
Post by Jim
Try Protomold for the plastic parts
Protocase is very good for enclosures.
Thanks Jim and Sean. I've given them a go - I'll see what comes back.
Josh Koffman
2018-10-26 20:48:55 UTC
Post by K S
For PCBs we have fantastic (quick / cheap / quality) services such as
allpcb.com.
Does anyone know of a similar service for membranes / decals? And also
possibly for machined plastic or metal parts? Hopefully with a simple web
interface for specifying and uploading designs and getting an immediate
quote, and with nicely priced worldwide delivery?
I'd never been to the allpcb.com site, so I had a look around. They
actually have an option for membrane switches and panel overlays. No
idea how it compares costwise though.

Josh
fools.
-Douglas Adams
Sean Breheny
2018-10-26 22:28:08 UTC
Protocase is very good for enclosures. They will do panels, too. Emphasis
is on speed so the price is a bit higher than some other places might be
but I've done 4 unique enclosures and one small production run (abt qty 50)
panel wirh them.
K S
2018-10-29 04:10:27 UTC
Post by Josh Koffman
I'd never been to the allpcb.com site, so I had a look around. They
actually have an option for membrane switches and panel overlays. No
idea how it compares costwise though.
Wow - I had no idea! This is actually exactly what I was after! Thank you!
Brent Brown
2018-10-27 00:17:11 UTC
A do-it-yourself method for label/decal/graphic overlay...
Flip/mirror the image, laser print onto transparency/acetate. Spray paint white or other background colour, use light coats and drying between coats to avoid dissolving image. Adhere with double sided tape.
Relatively quick and cheap. Result is a glossy and hard wearing surface, as image is sandwiched between transparency and paint. As waterproof as the adhesive is. Cut with care to avoid delamination. YMMV, experiment to perfect.

-------- Original message --------From: K S <***@gmail.com> Date: 10/26/18 6:29 PM (GMT+12:00) To: "Microcontroller discussion list - Public." <***@mit.edu> Subject: [EE] Prototype membranes / decals

K S
2018-10-29 04:13:50 UTC
Post by Brent Brown
A do-it-yourself method for label/decal/graphic overlay...
I'm trying not to do it myself, for the same reason I abandoned making
my own PCBs - time taken, quality, messiness etc. But I must say your
example looks mighty fine!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3vx4ijlalbbvah/2018-10-15%2016.24.21.jpg?dl=0
Neil
2018-10-29 14:22:07 UTC
I have a decal printer that can do this... it can print on .005" or
.010" polycarbonate (so it's stiff though can bend) and it uses foils,
so it can print metallic colors also.
The bottom of this page has examples on what it can do...
http://www.gerberprinters.com/

Mine's temporarily down, but you can find any sign shop that has the
same printer (Gerber Edge) and they can do it for you. And they can do
it with an adhesive backing.

RussellMc
2018-10-29 10:35:45 UTC
Post by Brent Brown
A do-it-yourself method for label/decal/graphic overlay...
Flip/mirror the image, laser print onto transparency/acetate. Spray paint
white or other background colour, use light coats and drying between coats
to avoid dissolving image. Adhere with double sided tape.
Relatively quick and cheap. Result is a glossy and hard wearing surface,
as image is sandwiched between transparency and paint. As waterproof as the
adhesive is. Cut with care to avoid delamination. YMMV, experiment to
perfect.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3vx4ijlalbbvah/2018-10-15%2016.24.21.jpg?dl=0
A similar method that I used to use with good results:
Label appearance was as good as many commercial labels, and the method is
quick, easy and relatively low cost (choose any three).

- Print onto media of choice - white or coloured paper or card.
- Add a layer of clear "coverseal" or similar adhesive faced plastic-
intended for covering book covers.
- Cut label to size.
- Attach with adhesive of choice. PVA worked well in my application, but
double sided tape or other could be used depending on target substrate.

Russell

Examples: All self adhesive

South African site

70 micron polypropylene & PVC film - 10m rolls, 320mm to 1000mm wide.
250 micron PVC - sheets, 250mm x 225mm to 240mm x 315mm
125 micron PVC 185 x 320 to 394 x 660

https://www.coverseal.co.za/bookcovering.html

Ebay IE - various

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/sis.html?_itemId=400587565081&_nkw=TENZA+BOOK+COVERING+FILM+SELF+ADHESIVE+600MM+X25+METRES+CC+060025+15+TZ72037&_mPrRngCbx=1