Piclist reply got forwarded to wrong group?
Ryan O'Connor
2018-03-08 10:34:34 UTC
I sent an email reply to a thread yesterday on this mailing list address (
***@mit.edu) but my reply got forwarded instead to seemingly random
other list osg-***@lists.openscenegraph.org. I don't know what that
mailing list is and why my email got directed to there, the osg owner and
myself can't work it out (he confirmed I am not subscribed to that list),
since all I did was hit reply and check the To: address, which has worked
many times before. Was this maybe a temporary glitch in the system? Anyone
seen anything like this before?

Thanks,
Ryan
Darron Black
2018-03-08 13:54:24 UTC
Ryan,

Oh, sorry.  that was me, not you.

My email server was too old and wasn't getting security updates, and
some kind of new attack was crashing it every 16 hours. (Filling up the
2.5G free on the hard drive in that time)

I re-installed the OS on the server (Ubuntu Linux 16.04, crappy that
this had to happen 1.5 months away from the new 18.04 release), but they
changed the default email programs around.

My "forward file", which contains rules for sorting incoming mail into
different mail folders, was completely misinterpreted by the new mail
program as a list of email addresses to forward email to.

So, three incoming emails of mine were broadcast to word in that file
that was a valid email.

Luckily, most emails were only partial and were not valid to send to
("contains piclist", etc)...  but my wife, a few friends, a tech support
email, that openscenegraph.org mailing list, and a few others... well,
they got those 3 pieces of my mail:

1) was a "Test 7" email from my gmail account (or something like that)

2) a credit card offer

3) Your incoming piclist mail.

So, my email server took your piclist thread reply and broadcast it to
several random addresses in my forward file.  Sorry about that.

Darron
http://mailman.mit
RussellMc
2018-03-08 21:32:00 UTC
Oh, sorry. that was me, not you.
My email server was too old and wasn't getting security updates, and
some kind of new attack was crashing it every 16 hours. (Filling up the
2.5G free on the hard drive in that time)
I re-installed the OS on the server (Ubuntu Linux 16.04, crappy that
this had to happen 1.5 months away from the new 18.04 release), but they
changed the default email programs around.
​...

So, my email server took your piclist thread reply and broadcast it to
several random addresses in my forward file. Sorry about that.
Good morning Dr Ryan.
Would you like to play a game?*

https://wiki2.org/en/WarGames+Brights

:-)

R​

* Choices:

Chess,
Checkers,
Backgammon,
Poker,
PICList
Theaterwide Biotoxic & Chemical Warfare
Global Thermonuclear War
View/change your membership op
Zona
2018-03-09 02:49:50 UTC
Thanks Darron's on time work~ :)

Post by Ryan O'Connor
I sent an email reply to a thread yesterday on this mailing list
don't know what that mailing list is and why my email got directed
to there, the osg owner and myself can't work it out (he confirmed
I am not subscribed to that list), since all I did was hit reply
and check the To: address, which has worked many times before. Was
this maybe a temporary glitch in the system? Anyone seen anything
like this before?
Thanks,
Ryan
BR.