[EE]:: Advice sought on I^2S device for dementia support application.
RussellMc
2018-11-23 10:14:25 UTC
3rd time lucky :-)

I received the following email requesting technical advice from Paul Aspell
in the UK.
I advised him that the PICList gurus are far more likely to provide him
good advice on IIS issues that I was - and he is happy for me to post his
query on the PICList.
Can anyone advise on the matters raised?

His electronics engineer job spec attachment is available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gn4mdhsgywciek9/Electronics%20Engineer.pdf?dl=0

People are welcome to contact Paul directly if desired, but I suggest:

1. A discussion here would be liable to be useful to all. Followed by
someone most appropriate talking to Paul.

2. If anyone talks to Paul directly a CC to me would be appreciated (but
not essential).

Details in his email but, in summary:

*We have a music player which is using an Onion Omega2 module. This has
I2s output.We need an I2S DAC and an Amplifier to drive a small speaker.
We’re aiming for say 3w to 12w *

*We are testing
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/%E2%80%8Bhttps://shop.pimoroni.com/products/adafruit-i2s-3w-class-d-amplifier-breakout-max98357a?variant=21696217799&gclid=CjwKCAiAodTfBRBEEiwAa1haukBCLzZlmi--ojp1r_eC5VriBHjlBUrBOvFURmo-O8TnPQXXKgaXBxoCLkIQAvD_BwE>this
one**It uses aMAX08357 chip*

*We would like to have*

*-Suggestions for a single chip module like the MAX chip above which*

* Can do a higher output – e.g. 10w*
* Is available at a reasonable price in quantity of say 500*
* -Suggestions for a two-chip solution comprising*
* An I2S DAC** A good quality amplifier circuit*

*While I have no I2S experience, I suspect that a wander through eg
Digikey's catalog would be a good start.However, others may already know
this area well.*

*ORIGINAL:*

2018-11-23 21:06:52 UTC
Post by RussellMc
* Can do a higher output – e.g. 10w*
* Is available at a reasonable price in quantity of say 500*
* -Suggestions for a two-chip solution comprising*
* An I2S DAC** A good quality amplifier circuit*
*While I have no I2S experience, I suspect that a wander through eg
Digikey's catalog would be a good start.However, others may already know
this area well.*
To me, the ideal design has zero parts, so I'd look at a power amplifier
that has an I2S input. Something like
https://www.nxp.com/products/media-and-audio/audio-amplifiers/audio-amplifiers-for-portable-devices/3.4-w-i2s-input-mono-class-d-audio-amplifier:TFA9882UK

Harold
--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com
Not sent from an iPhone.
Lyle Hazelwood
2018-11-23 22:31:24 UTC
At risk of hijacking the thread..
I have a small Freescale PowerPC based mini itx board with an audio codec
that uses I2C for controls and I^2s for the audio stream.
The controls went easily enough, but i am overwhelmed by the number of I^2s
configuration options.
With great respect for the depth and breadth of the groups experience, if
anyone has suggestions on how to simplify I2s configuration, i welcome any
suggestions, on or off list.

Thanks,
***@gmail.com
Richard Prosser
2018-11-24 05:59:02 UTC
We're using a TI part TLV320AIC3100 (IIRC.) This wouldn't be real suitable
for the application but something in the same family may be.

The problem I had in selecting it was that most parts had heaps of bells &
whistles we just didn't need and the part size & cost was proportional. In
our case we needed mono, about 1watt output into 6ohms (class D) and with a
mono microphone input. 5V max supply preferred. It's mostly working OK &
the next PCB layout should be better.. The data sheet is a bit vague about
some of the power supply requirements though (hint - the digital supply
needs to be 1.8V, NOT 3.7V!).

The evaluation board for our part doesn't appear to be available anymore
which would have saved a lot of time. So, get an eval board if you can to
check out the selected part..

RP
<http://www.ti.com/product/tlv320aic3100>
Richard Prosser
2018-11-24 06:14:57 UTC
Hi Lyle,
Have you looked for evaluation kit software for your part? Often there will
be simple (psuedo ?) code or code examples for the setup, even if the kit
is not available, or not justifiable for the application.

RP
Sean Breheny
2018-12-01 05:54:20 UTC
Unfortunately I cannot help with the actual question but this question
reminded me of a number of articles I saw recently claiming that recent
research has shown that Alzheimer's disease does not (typically? ever?)
affect musical memory and that it is common for people who have advanced
dementia to respond strongly to music and even be able to play musical
instruments which they had played before the effects of the disease.