[OT] Locomotive radio remote control systems failure
James Cameron
2018-11-09 07:13:15 UTC
Interim report into a runaway train incident.

Driver was in cement loading facility using remote control to move the
train under loading chutes.

"While the last pair of wagons were being aligned, the train came to a
stop past the intended stop location."

"he selected reverse to re-align the final two wagons with the loading
chutes. However, after selecting reverse, the train became
unresponsive to his remote commands."

"he attempted multiple times to reset the remote control equipment
with the portable remote transmitter. After allowing time for the
remote control system to recover, the locomotive continued to be
unresponsive to his commands."

"driver decided to walk to the lead locomotive TR11 to undertake a
cold restart of the remote control system at the receiver located on
the rear of the locomotive. Before he started to walk, at about 0846,
the train slowly began rolling away" [cue twilight zone theme]

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2018/rair/ro-2018-014/
--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/
RussellMc
2018-11-09 08:10:29 UTC
Lucky [tm] pedestrians

Image: Loading Image...

" ... At approximately 0846[1
<http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2018/rair/ro-2018-014/#footnote1>
] on 21 September 2018, a TasRail freight train rolled away from a loading
facility at Railton, Tasmania. There was no train crew on board the freight
train at the time. The train travelled for about 21 km before being routed
into a dead-end siding in Devonport.

At about 0909, the train collided with the end of a dead-end siding,
destroyed a fence line and travelled in a derailed state for about 60 m
into a public area (Figure 1). Two pedestrians within the public area
received minor injuries from fence debris."

Real time games:

The Network Access Manager in TasRail Train Control, with the assistance of
the TasRail Rolling Stock Assets Manager, were able to monitor the progress
of the train using the real time locomotive performance monitoring system.
The Network Access Manager communicated this information to the police
during the runaway. The police used this information to coordinate their
resources to the area ahead of the runaway train. The police concentrated
on stopping vehicles and pedestrian traffic at level crossings and about
the railway corridor.
Harold Hallikainen
2018-11-12 17:41:21 UTC
It will be interesting to see what they find. "Dead man switches" have
been common in trains for a long time. It's interesting that the loss of
radio control did not shut down the train.

Here, in the Denver CO USA area, the light rail is the first in the US to
use Positive Train Control ( http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/ep3_149 ). As I
understand it, its main purpose is to slow or stop the train if it's
approaching a dangerous situation (another train, curve at too high a
speed, improperly set track switch, etc.). Here, though, it's also
apparently being used to control signals and crossing gates. Gates are
required to go down 20 seconds before the train arrives (see
https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/hsip/xings/com_roaduser/07010/sec04b.cfm ).
Here, the concern has been that gates are going down too early,
encouraging drivers to drive around them. As such, one line here is
operating with a waiver and "persons of flag" at each crossing. Another
line does not have a waiver, but has test trains running (for the past
several months). Flaggers are at each crossing.

Harold
--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com
Not sent from an iPhone.
David Van Horn
2018-11-12 20:31:08 UTC
After all this time, you'd think we could get trains right...
And we're now trying spacecraft and self driving cars. šŸ˜Š

John Gardner
2018-11-12 20:39:02 UTC
...after all this time you'd think we could get trains right...

+1...
rossano gobbi
2018-11-21 20:55:17 UTC
Trains ainā€™t so easy to run like it seems. :-)
And often, what with cars would be considered a fairly normal event, like bumping at low speed into another car, with trains it would be considered as an unacceptable risk...
http://mailman.mit.e
Harold Hallikainen
2018-11-22 00:16:58 UTC
Post by rossano gobbi
Trains ainā€™t so easy to run like it seems. :-)
And often, what with cars would be considered a fairly normal event, like
bumping at low speed into another car, with trains it would be considered
as an unacceptable risk...
Today I ran across the specifications for the Denver light rail system:

https://nacto.org/docs/usdg/rtd_light_rail_design_criteria_regional_trans_district.pdf

There's a LOT that goes into the design!

Harold
rossano gobbi

http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/list
Christopher Head
2018-11-13 07:12:40 UTC
http://mailman.mit.edu/ma
RussellMc
2018-11-13 12:06:40 UTC
Post by Harold Hallikainen
It will be interesting to see what they find. "Dead man switches" have
been common in trains for a long time. It's interesting that the loss of
radio control did not shut down the train.
I'll hazard that, having largely got trains right*, somebody added a layer
that created an artificial "person" and that the train reacted correctly
because the "person" continued to respond as a person should on the train
side of its black box but it's brain, or sensory input system (aka radio
link) had failed on the 'other side' of the black box, and the system
analysis had failed to conclude that dead I/O should result in dead- person
emulation.

__________________________________

* When:

- *The French spend 50 million+ Euro
<https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/10845789/French-rail-company-order-2000-trains-too-wide-for-platforms.html>*"shaving"
1300 station platforms because new trains are "too wide"

- *100 people die when a carriage throws a wheel rim at 120 mph
<https://wiki2.org/en/Eschede_derailment+Brights>*("What's this thing
protruding through the floor?") and is essentially ignored (and you haven't
equipped passenger emergency stop signalling because it's too dangerous to
give them that power in a train this fast) and then carriages get sideways
and take out people mowing the embankment, and anything else within range.

- You can make lists like *this
<https://wiki2.org/en/List_of_TGV_accidents+Brights>.*

then one may conclude that we have trains only "almost right".

Russell
Christopher Head
2018-11-13 18:03:39 UTC
http://mailman.mit.edu/
David Van Horn
2018-11-13 18:52:27 UTC
What happens in the case of jamming, deliberate or accidental?
Link lost, train stops.. I can imagine someone doing that just to be a jackass.

2018-11-13 21:30:28 UTC
2018-11-14 06:31:16 UTC
And then there is this one:
http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2018/rair/ro-2018-018/

Four locos and 268 wagons! Travelled 90 km in 50 minutes (according to news reports) But aloooooong way from any pedestrians...

Stephen