[EE] FSK receiver chips?
Harold Hallikainen
2018-09-12 21:33:14 UTC
I'm currently using an SA639 as an FSK receiver. My FSK is at 1.8 MHz (on
IR). I use the mixer in the SA639 to upconvert to 10.7 HHz, then use
ceramic filters in the IF and a ceramic resonator in the quadrature
detector. I'm seeing single chip DSP-based FM receivers (from places like
Silicon Labs). Does anyone know of any DSP-based FSK receiver chips? I
could get rid of a lot of parts!

Thanks!

Harold
--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com
Not sent from an iPhone.
AB Pearce - UKRI STFC
2018-09-12 22:05:26 UTC
Develop your own using a dsPic ?

2018-09-13 13:35:10 UTC
Interesting idea. This is a battery operated device, and I wonder about
power consumption. Also, my DSP experience is close to none! I'm currently
using the SA639 and driving a PIC18 to do packet decoding, drive a
display, etc. If going to DSP demodulation in a PIC (as opposed to using a
standard receiver chip), it would be interesting to move everything to one
chip (demodulation, packet parsing, etc.) but, again, I worry about power
consumption.

Thanks for the idea! I'll look into it.

Harold
David Van Horn
2018-09-13 13:59:00 UTC
Is the frequency shift wide enough that you could use a narrow filter and treat it as ASK?
The SA636 might work for you without messing with the discriminator part if so.

Harold Hallikainen
2018-09-13 14:53:12 UTC
Thanks for the idea! I think FSK would be more reliable than ASK. With the
current design, I see all these parts around the SA639, then I look at the
Silicon Labs FM receiver chips where you hook up an antenna and get audio
out and am envious!

Harold
David VanHorn