[TECH]:: Alternative energy and pricing issues
RussellMc
2018-02-04 23:55:16 UTC
Deemed relevant due to the complex mix of factors and perspectives that
lead to market electricity prices under various situations.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-17/curious-adelaide-the-problem-of-power/9158240

__________________

Related:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-04/elon-musk-tesla-to-give-solar-panels-batteries-to-sa-homes/9394352

Tesla 100 MW / 129 MWh battery in SA

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-07/what-is-tesla-big-sa-battery-and-how-will-it-work/8688992

SA power: 185 pumped hydro sites identified across South Australia by ANU
research

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-16/pumped-hydro-sites-identified-in-sa/8623758

SA Power customers to miss blackout compensation as supplier claims 'force
majeure'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-05/sa-power-customers-to-miss-compensation/8499414

SA plastics recycling business closes due to $100k hike in power bills

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-27/sa-recycling-business-power-bills-rise-causing-closure/8654638

Lyon Group announces $1b battery and solar farm for South Australia's
Riverland

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-30/new-solar-project-announced-for-sa-riverland/8400952
John Gardner

Harold Hallikainen
2018-02-05 05:55:53 UTC
Interesting articles. The auction method is interesting. I have heard of
this before where all winning bidders get the same price, including those
who bid lower. This makes sense since electricity is fungible. A megawatt
hour from one supplier is the same as that from another, and they are
mixed together for delivery. For a while, California let consumers buy
from a generation company of their choice and pay the local utility for
delivery. I don't remember all the details, but the utility pretty much
bought on the spot market while the consumer had a fixed rate per kwh. The
utility ended up paying a LOT more than what they were selling for. As I
recall, this drove the utilities into bankruptcy. I think the system would
have worked if the price variation were passed on to the consumer. At
times of high demand, prices go up, which should reduce consumption. But
with unvarying prices, consumers had no incentive to shed loads.

Solar installation on consumer roofs is interesting. It results in
distributed generation where a lot of the generation is near the load
reducing transmission requirements.

Harold