[OT] Windows 10 Update Problem
Allen Mulvey
2018-04-28 02:44:45 UTC
For the past four years I have been using an rfid/keypad (Wiegand) access system for my home. Several weeks ago I noticed that my desktop computer (Windows 10 Pro) which hosts the icCard program to control the system could no longer connect with the controller board. I installed the software on a relatively clean laptop, also Windows 10 Pro, and had the same results. The software installs and appears to run fine but any attempts to access the controller board produce a "comm failure" error.

I installed the same software on a Windows 8.1 VM running on a Windows 2012r2 Hyper-V server and everything works fine from there. Apparently something happened to Windows 10 to make it block this sort of communication. I think it uses UDP but I have not attempted to analyze the traffic.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? I would really like to get back to managing this system from my normal workstation.

Thanks,
Allen
Jim Ruxton
Allen Mulvey
2018-04-28 11:36:34 UTC
Yes, I completely disabled the firewall. I even tried
connecting the board directly to a laptop with both the
firewall off and Wi-Fi off. Same result.

Allen

Curious if you tried disabling the Windows firewall, even
temporarilly to
see if that was affecting anything?
Jim

Post by Allen Mulvey
get back to managing this system from my normal
workstation.
Post by Allen Mulvey
Thanks,
Allen
--
http://www.piclist.com/techref/piclist PIC/SX FAQ & list
archive
Post by Allen Mulvey
archive
RussellMc
2018-05-02 09:56:03 UTC

Post by Allen Mulvey
For the past four years I have been using an rfid/keypad (Wiegand) access
system for my home. Several weeks ago I noticed that my desktop computer
(Windows 10 Pro) which hosts the icCard program to control the system could
no longer connect with the controller board.
This may help, but probably won't :-) :-(.

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-error-0xc000021a-in-windows-8-and-10/

In particular the ReimagePlus program and access to "driver signature
enforcement" disabling.

This is related to a specific Windows error code but has links to
ReimagePlus which checks for corrupt Windows files.
iT'S AN exe file which does not SEEm to allow Russian Hackers to use your
PC to alter the result of US elections, comrade.

FWIW it did not help me repair that specific problem on a cheap Windows 10
hybrid tablet/notebook - but the various instructions on the page may be
useful for some general "Windows is doing as Windows does" issues.

Russell
View/change your membership options
Allen Mulvey
2018-05-03 20:36:09 UTC
Thank you. I tried safe mode and disable driver signature enforcement to no avail. These articles do suggest some other options I don't have time to test at the moment. I appreciate any help I can get.

Using a VM isn't really that bad. I only use the software to add new fobs or to mark lost ones, not very often. It is just the idea that everything worked perfectly for years then suddenly stopped that really annoys me.

Allen

http://mailman.mit.edu