[TECH] Configuring Windows 10 For Unattended Operatioon
Josh Koffman
2017-10-29 05:48:47 UTC
Hi All,

I've been asked to help a friend set up a sort of media kiosk,
basically a Windows 10 laptop running some software that displays
messages. It will be connected to the internet. I'm wondering if
anyone has seen any links for good articles on how best to configure a
Windows 10 machine for running in an unattended situation.

I believe the first thing I need to do is upgrade the machines to
Windows Professional so that I can control the update cycle and keep
them from randomly rebooting themselves.

I know that there is now Windows 10 IoT, but I am worried that I'll
have driver issues on the laptop side. Maybe that's just my emotional
baggage, but I have had laptop driver issues in the past.

Always interested in more info, so if anyone has seen any links or
info to share I'd love to learn more.

Thank you!

Josh
fools.
-Douglas Adams
mike brown
2017-10-29 16:19:06 UTC
I'd think that using Linux might be a better way to go, especially with the
software being free. More secure and easier to lock down. A Raspberry Pi,
Odroid C2 or Rock64 might be cheaper too.
Justin Richards

Josh Koffman
2017-11-03 02:22:39 UTC
Post by mike brown
I'd think that using Linux might be a better way to go, especially with the
software being free. More secure and easier to lock down. A Raspberry Pi,
Odroid C2 or Rock64 might be cheaper too.
Hi guys,

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately the software they want to
run is Windows based, so I don't have any choice in that matter.

Oh well!

Thanks,

Josh
fools.
-Douglas Adams
Jim Ruxton
2017-11-03 02:47:05 UTC
There is a possibility that it will run under Wine. The windows emulator in
Linux. Worth a try or find an open source equivalent. Sounds like something
that could be done with the program Processing for example which is cross
platform.
Jim
Allen Mulvey
2017-11-03 04:31:37 UTC
Did you Google 'kiosk mode for windows 10'? Since Windows 95
most versions had this ability. I made several of them years
ago with Windows 95 but I have not tried the later versions.

Here is something Microsoft says about kiosk in Windows 10:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/
enterprise/create-a-kiosk-image

In the old version the desktop was replaced by an
application. Unless there was some kind of shell in the app
there was no way out.

I don't know if Windows 10 Embedded is still available, if
so, it might make licensing cheaper.

Allen

--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design
something
Forrest Christian (List Account)
2017-11-03 10:10:56 UTC
Try something like:

https://www.inteset.com/secure-lockdown-standard-edition
http://www.sitekiosk.com/web/us/products/windows-kiosk-software-sitekiosk

There are several out there. I don't have particular experience with any
particular one, so I can't make a particular recommendation.

I also found this web page for you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/set-up-a-kiosk-for-windows-10-for-desktop-editions
Post by Justin Richards
Post by mike brown
Odroid C2 or Rock64 might be cheaper too.
Hi guys,
Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately the software they want to
run is Windows based, so I don't have any choice in that matter.
Oh well!
Thanks,
Josh
fools.
-Douglas Adams
*Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
***@imach.com | http://www.packetflux.com
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian> <http://facebook.com/packetflux>
<http://twitter.com/@packetflux>
Ryan O'Connor
2017-11-03 21:41:26 UTC
When we made one at work I think we just used chrome in kiosk mode on
system startup, and used a special keyboard on-screen which wouldn't allow
alt+tab etc. So nothing special with the operating system. It worked great
at Auckland Airport, the high quality kiosk hardware did most of the
security work with regards to stopping users restarting the system. Funnily
enough you could plug a standard USB keyboard into the back of the terminal
and take over control, but who's really going to do that in an airport
except a technician? Anyway now that you know about this kiosk, visit New
Zealand and bring your keyboard. Then you can display your messages there
for free.

Ryan

Post by mike brown
I'd think that using Linux might be a better way to go, especially
with
Post by Josh Koffman
the
Post by Justin Richards
Post by mike brown
software being free. More secure and easier to lock down. A
Raspberry
Post by Josh Koffman
Pi,
RussellMc
2017-11-03 23:02:55 UTC
Post by Ryan O'Connor
Funnily
​ ​
enough you could plug a standard USB keyboard into the back of the terminal
and take over control, but who's really going to do that in an airport
except a technician?
​:-)

And at Hong Kong airport I can show you where to find mains power points
for laptop charging or whatever) tucked under some advertising signs ... .

HK airport is the only place I have had my internet access 'hacked' while
travelling - presumably but not certainly by someone with a dummy site
masquerading as the free airport WiFi service.
They were not quick enough and/or thoughtful enough to reset the alternate
access path into GMail and I rereset the password a few hours later and
lost nothing. Could have been much worse if they had been malicious.

I used COMODO Trustconnect
<https://www.comodo.com/news/press_releases/2010/11/Comodo-Trustconnect-Virtual-Private-Network.html>
WiFi
protection after that. (Not free but can be bought by day or month or ...
and 'worthwhile when needed'.)

Russell
ht