[EE} Selecting cutters
David C Brown
2017-12-26 14:09:53 UTC
I am on the point of replacing a pair of broken cutters: Lindstrom
Supreme 7190
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lindstrom-7190-Supreme-Diagonal-Cutting/dp/B0001P0DG0/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1514297206&sr=1-1&keywords=lindstrom+7190

These have a micro bevel cut but there is an alternative - the 7191 -
which is identical except for having a flush cut and being ten pounds
cheaper.

What is the difference between the two cuts and is micro bevel likely to be
worth the extra money?

David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak Phone: 01663 733236
Derbyshire eMail: ***@gmail.com
SK23 7ND web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>

*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
Denny Esterline
2017-12-26 17:56:07 UTC
No experience with those in particular.

Recently bought a couple pair of these and was pleasantly surprised.
https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-CHP-170-Stand-off-Construction-21-Degree/dp/B00FZPDG1K
For the price, I'd suggest you can't go too far wrong.
Bob Blick
2017-12-26 18:43:23 UTC
Hi David,

Yes, the micro bevel is worth it. The cutting edge is stronger and will last longer and be more tolerant of mild abuse. It is still a very flush cut. The two types look almost the same and make similar cuts.

Lindstrom is my favorite brand of cutters, although it's been several years since I bought a pair. Hopefully they are as good as they used to be.

They should make a good Christmas present to yourself!

Friendly regards,

Bob

2017-12-26 20:36:13 UTC
Thanks, Bob. If they are stronger then they are the ones to go for. I
had these cutters for about thirty years until a tragic accident a few
weeks ago. But my son bought me a "£50 Amazon voucher for Christmas so I
guees I'll blow it n a like for like replacement. Mind you, pushing 70,
I doubt I'll get thirty years use out of them But they may become a
family heirloom. :-)

Sean Breheny
2017-12-26 21:19:01 UTC
I once tried to cut a 12 AWG solid copper wire with a pair of Xcelite flush
cutters and was really frightened and shocked when the jaw of the cutter
fractured and shot across the room. They really use such hard steel that it
is very brittle and even though it was still copper I was cutting, it
couldn't handle it. Was your "tragic accident" similar?
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 6:09 AM
To: Microcontroller discussion list - Public.
I am on the point of replacing a pair of broken cutters: Lindstrom
Supreme 7190
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lindstrom-7190-Supreme-Diagonal-Cutting/dp/
B0001P0DG0/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1514297206&sr=1-1&
keywords=lindstrom+7190
These have a micro bevel cut but there is an alternative - the 7191 -
which is identical except for having a flush cut and being ten pounds
cheaper.
What is the difference between the two cuts and is micro bevel likely to
be
Post by Bob Blick
worth the extra money?
http://mailman.mit.edu/ma
David C Brown

Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 6:09 AM
To: Microcontroller discussion list - Public.
I am on the point of replacing a pair of broken cutters: Lindstrom
Supreme 7190
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lindstrom-7190-Supreme-Diagonal-Cutting/dp/
B0001P0DG0/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1514297206&sr=1-1&
keywords=lindstrom+7190
These have a micro bevel cut but there is an alternative - the 7191 -
which is identical except for having a flush cut and being ten pounds
cheaper.
What is the difference between the two cuts and is micro bevel likely
Post by David C Brown
be
Post by Bob Blick
worth the extra money?
Anthony Nixon
2017-12-26 22:55:54 UTC
I'll second the Lindstroms.

I am still using a set of yellow handled cutters that I got when I
started an apprenticeship in Telecom in 1977.

cheers

Tony
Steve Smith
2017-12-27 10:43:50 UTC
For me also lindstroms...i think there are 4 pairs in the house and one set on my desk at work

graham foulkes
2017-12-27 17:24:30 UTC
Yes, Lindstroms sets the standard for precision hand tools.Lindstroms are
box jointed of course which gives them superior performance over lap joints
in less worthy hand tools. HST, I purchased a pair of CK 5 1/2" diagonal
cutters, German, back in early 60's when I started an apprenticeship in
radio and TV servicing. These are marked up 'piano wire', and true the the
marking, they will slice through the toughest wires I have come across
including tungsten etectrodes used for EDM. Used them all my working life
and never seen a nick appear in the blades or a 'headache' in the lap
joint, which is usually the death of hand tools. Buy the best you can
afford, you get what you pay for with tools.
Dwayne Reid
2017-12-27 22:29:01 UTC
Good day to all.

My favorite shop / bench cutters are Plato 1755. Not as pricey as
the Lindstrom and larger but they work extremely well. Flush cutting
but the jaws are so beefy that I don't nick them unless cutting
hardened steel wire (music wire or such).

dwayne
--
Dwayne Reid <***@planet.eon.net>
Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd Edmonton, AB, CANADA