[OT] I am going outside. I may be a little time.
David C Brown
2018-02-26 13:16:40 UTC
Britain is now on an amber weather alert with warnings to be home by 6pm
and stock up on food and medicine.

This because an easterly airflow is likely to bring temperatures as low as
-5C (23F) with wind chill possibly as low as -15C (5F)

We are indeed the snowflake generation.
David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak Phone: 01663 733236
Derbyshire eMail: ***@gmail.com
SK23 7ND web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>

*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
Clint Jay
RussellMc
2018-02-26 14:18:16 UTC
​On 27 February 2018 at 02:16, David C Brown <***@gmail.com> wrote:
Britain is now on an amber weather alert with warnings to be home by 6pm
and stock up on food and medicine.

This because an easterly airflow is likely to bring temperatures as low as
-5C (23F) with wind chill possibly as low as -15C (5F)

Nobody mention Global War ... Climate Ch ...
Actually, it's now "extreme weather" so this fits right in.

BUT - isn't that within the range of normal for Britain?

http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listi
David C Brown
2018-02-26 15:48:17 UTC
For the Uk as a whole the average temperature for February is just above
freezing. But for a small island the variability place to place is
surprising.

A few factors lead to this media hysteria.
* The gutter press thrives on hysteria, usually unfounded.
* We have had a decade of above average temperatures so s regression to the
mean is astounding.
* most of the media are based in London and the South East of England where
the transport infrastructure is so fragile that a large snowflake can bring
it to its knees.
* people have difficulty in understanding the difference between air
temperature and wind chill temperature.

Surprisingly my location in the hills twenty miles from Manchester the
climate is surprisingly kind since we are sheltered from the "beast from
the east" by much higher ground

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

http://mailman.mit.edu/mai
Van Horn, David
2018-02-26 15:58:00 UTC
Same phenomenon over here.
A bad storm rips through corn country and nobody cares much, but when it's weakened remanants hit New York where the news centers are, <dramatic voice>"It's a catastroph!"</dramatic voice> (bonus points if you know the person behind the quote)

View/change your membership opti
George Smith
2018-02-26 16:41:15 UTC
Post by David C Brown
* most of the media are based in London and the South East of England where
the transport infrastructure is so fragile that a large snowflake can bring
it to its knees.
Exactly - from "up here" in Scotland I like this weather warning:-

Even Newcastle (North East England) got a little cold when the snow was
on the ground a couple of years back:-
If the url splits, use this - https://tinyurl.com/y8zvc8zo

George Smith
John Gardner
2018-02-26 18:52:39 UTC
ISTR (reading about) the Thames freezing solid - Not lately, though...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Thames_frost_fairs

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/d/d4/Wwc.jpg
<http://www.newcastleuncovered.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Geordie-snow-4.jpg>
RussellMc
2018-02-26 23:36:23 UTC
Post by John Gardner
ISTR (reading about) the Thames freezing solid - Not lately, though...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Thames_frost_fairs
​Possibly in about 2 solar cycles from now. Maybe not.
Based on sunspot and related progressions over more recent cycles and
**apparent** past correlations with 'climate' variations.
Stay tuned.

Russell

I just went back to see again if the thread was an apposite one for this.
Seems spot on :-)
http://m
Neil

Van Horn, David
2018-02-26 15:47:09 UTC
Watch out for plummeting iguanas!

2018-02-27 12:36:34 UTC
Hah, I was driving from Scotland (Bathgate, roughly midway between Glasgow and Edinburgh) on Monday and was getting little snow flurries all the way down to Didcot (about 10 miles south of Oxford).

The heaviest flurries were as I entered the roadworks between M6 Junction 19 and Junction 16, which is a few miles south of David.

But snow on the ground? Well it wasn't staying there anywhere ...
James Cameron
2018-02-27 20:45:23 UTC
Had to look "snow flurry" up. Never had to use the term. ;-)

Driving weather for me a couple of days ago was 43°C peak, dust devils
crossing the road every few minutes, kangaroos hiding in under road
pipes, cluster of 17 emus at a cattle grid as we approached at high
speed, air conditioning on full power, and lots of cold water to drink
from an esky in the car. Locality name Weilmoringle. Now we're back
home in a cold snap; yesterday only 32°C peak, with a 16°C minimum
before dawn.
--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/
John Gardner

http://mailman.mit.edu/m
James Cameron
2018-02-27 23:39:07 UTC
GW certainly has, but I'm not qualified to judge it as A.

Exciting Australian outback weather is mostly remnants of polar
vortices; a front moves from west to east, disrupting atmosphere and
dropping a bit of water.

On a clear day, on a flat plain, you see the front approaching from
the south west as a line of clouds stretching from south east to north
west, the clouds form and reform while moving south east. Ahead of
the front is a hot dry northerly wind.

Inland rainfall is further south than before. Species mix, both
plant, fungi, and animals, both wild and domestic, have moved south by
about 100km in the past twenty years. Feels like we have moved north.
Forrest Christian (List Account)
2018-02-27 23:30:00 UTC
See, I'm the other extreme in Montana, USA.... Highs/lows for the next 7
days (*C): 1/-8, 3/-7, 1/-11, -1/-11, -3/-11, -1/-11, -1/-11

If it was 43*C there'd be high heat warnings all over the TV telling you to
stay inside and how to avoid heatstroke. But negative degrees (even as
low as -30C) barely get a mention. And snow? Well, we haven't seen bare
ground for months now. It's actually not uncommon for our highs during
the winter to be around -20C for a few days. See
https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KHLN/2017/12/31/DailyHistory.html
as a recent example.
Post by James Cameron
Had to look "snow flurry" up. Never had to use the term. ;-)
Driving weather for me a couple of days ago was 43°C peak, dust devils
crossing the road every few minutes, kangaroos hiding in under road
pipes, cluster of 17 emus at a cattle grid as we approached at high
speed, air conditioning on full power, and lots of cold water to drink
from an esky in the car. Locality name Weilmoringle. Now we're back
home in a cold snap; yesterday only 32°C peak, with a 16°C minimum
before dawn.
--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/
*Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
***@imach.com | http://www.packetflux.com
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian> <http://facebook.com/packetflux>
<http://twitter.com/@packetflux>
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinf
sd211
2018-02-28 06:42:09 UTC
I remember seeing a road sign on a backroad in Montana, coming out of
Yellowstone park: "No snowmobiles after June 1!".

That was a hoot!

--
Sent from: http://microcontrollers.2385.n7.nabble.com/MicroControllers-PIC-f3.html
RussellMc
2018-02-28 06:49:20 UTC
Post by sd211
I remember seeing a road sign on a backroad in Montana, coming out of
Yellowstone park: "No snowmobiles after June 1!".
That was a hoot!
​Speed limit sign entering an ancient narrow streeted cobblestoned German
village (pictures, bo words)

Trucks 40 kph
Tanks 30 kph​

​Actual speeds may have differed from above but it was something like that.
The point was, I assume, that ​as you probably could not fit a tank into
their streets that they were having some fun while telling truck drivers
what the speed limit was.

Photo somewhere.

Salsbury Plains, UK
"Tanks Crossing" - in this case they are serious.

2018-02-28 10:53:03 UTC
Post by RussellMc
Salsbury Plains, UK
"Tanks Crossing" - in this case they are serious.
I don't think they have signs like that on the Desert Road, do they?
Richard Prosser
2018-02-28 19:31:16 UTC
I have a vague memory of something like that. It may have been on a side
road from the Desert Road - we had relatives at Waiouru so visited there a
few times.

RP
Neil Cherry
2018-02-28 21:08:02 UTC
Post by RussellMc
Salsbury Plains, UK
"Tanks Crossing" - in this case they are serious.
Sorry I missed the original message. We used to joke about a sign like that
when we rode through the middle of the McGuire/Ft Dix Military based in NJ.
Then one day, in the 90's. We get to the sign and 2 military HumVees block
the road and we see a M1 Abrahams tank come shooting across the pavement
doing about 45 mph. We were impressed with it size and were glad we were
not compressed by it. I don't think it would have noticed us one bit. ;-)
Dang that's a big machine.
--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ***@linuxha.com
http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
RussellMc
2018-02-28 21:48:46 UTC
Post by a***@stfc.ac.uk
Post by RussellMc
Salsbury Plains, UK
"Tanks Crossing" - in this case they are serious.
I don't think they have signs like that on the Desert Road, do they?
​I was thinking about that - I think I've seen similar, but as I wasn't
sure how good the memory was, so I left it out.

To non leading edge Antipodeans - the "Desert Road" is a longish
too-fastish ​

​(people die) wilderness highway across the "Rangipo Desert" in middle
North Island NZ.​

​he "desert" is semi-alpine scrub and tundra and lots of rocks.
The bottom mountain is the North Island's highest and home to the NI's
major ski field.
The top Mountain (Ngaruahoe) is a volcanic cone on top of Tongariro (not
labelled at this scale - zoom in) and was "Mount Doom" in the Lord of the
Rings N-tilogy.
Tongariro hosts the world famous "really" "Tongariro crossing" - a
rigorous one day walk unless the mountain turns on one of its "waether here
is lethal even though it is sunny down on the plains". People occasionally
die if they are stupid. Alas, some are. I've crossed it twice - both times
in worst case conditions. The 2nd time I "thought we PROBABLY weren't going
to die". Great fun, afterwards :-).

​The red bordered area is the defence area mentioned below

​ ​
https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Desert+Road+3382/@-39.2332572,175.6658667,36214m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x6d6bad13c940ff2d:0x500ef6143a2ef50!8m2!3d-39.2308593!4d175.7350643?hl=en

Much of the land to the East side of the road is a prohibited entry area
used for "military" purposes. No fences - just signs. Entry by mere
mortals unwise.
Tanks occasionally happen.

*Mt Doom
<https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Desert+Road+3382/@-39.1576896,175.6322303,2172m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x6d6bad13c940ff2d:0x500ef6143a2ef50!8m2!3d-39.2308593!4d175.7350643?hl=en>*

*Tongariro Crossing - Red Crater
<https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Desert+Road+3382/@-39.136526,175.6518225,771m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x6d6bad13c940ff2d:0x500ef6143a2ef50!8m2!3d-39.2308593!4d175.7350643?hl=en>*

Doesn't do Red Crater justice. When 100 kph winds at not much above 0 C
sweep across that ridge strong brave men have been known to crawl across.
So have I.

*Come to NZ ! :-)
<https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Desert+Road+3382/@-39.0285819,176.5155732,541495m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x6d6bad13c940ff2d:0x500ef6143a2ef50!8m2!3d-39.2308593!4d175.7350643?hl=en>*

Here's the *Southern Alps
<https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Desert+Road+3382/@-43.8071082,170.0013978,227389m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x6d6bad13c940ff2d:0x500ef6143a2ef50!8m2!3d-39.2308593!4d175.7350643?hl=en>*
- the snowy mountain backbone you saw in the beacon lighting scenes in LOTR

*Aoraki
<https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Mt+Cook/@-43.5952409,170.1422397,410m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x6d2bcbf4957533cb:0x2459ca45fd83e865!8m2!3d-43.5949749!4d170.1417883?hl=en>
*
- NZ's highest. Zoom out.

Russell
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailm
RussellMc
2018-02-28 01:21:17 UTC
Post by James Cameron
Had to look "snow flurry" up. Never had to use the term. ;-)
​Something like willy willy's but different material - and not usually as
impressive as this one:

<- worth a look

R​
View/change your membership opt