[EE} Am I carrying KISS too far?
David C Brown
2018-10-30 14:49:26 UTC
Power supply for a circuit with a handful of CD400 chips.

12vdc from wall-wort charges a 9volt NiMH through a series resistor. CMOS
runs of battery.
Just the two components. What have I overlooked?

David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak Phone: 01663 733236
Derbyshire eMail: ***@gmail.com
SK23 7ND web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>

*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
David Van Horn
2018-10-30 15:01:21 UTC
Long term damage to the NIMH cell.
Possible issues with logic level shift as battery voltage changes.
What if the battery is disconnected?
Ripple?

Steve Smith
2018-10-30 15:02:04 UTC
You need two resistors one is in series with the led (across the charging
resistor) to indicate its working...!

Art
2018-10-30 15:07:41 UTC
I like the etch-a-sketch David!! The new models must have wifi-what will
they think of next??!!

Seriously though...I think you still need to decouple each cmos chip
with a .1uF as close to the Vcc and Ground terminals as possible.

Happy soldering.

Art
Forrest Christian (List Account)
2018-10-30 15:09:26 UTC
The fact that NiMH doesn't like to be float/trickle charged, perhaps?
Post by David C Brown
Power supply for a circuit with a handful of CD400 chips.
12vdc from wall-wort charges a 9volt NiMH through a series resistor. CMOS
runs of battery.
Just the two components. What have I overlooked?
David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak Phone: 01663 733236
SK23 7ND web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
*Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
***@imach.com | http://www.packetflux.com
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian> <http://facebook.com/packetflux>
<http://twitter.com/@packetflux>
AB Pearce - UKRI STFC
2018-10-30 16:51:03 UTC
Several things, apart from (as already noted) NiMH don't like float charge.

You don't have any cut out mechanism when the battery reaches full charge.
You don't have any temperature monitoring of the battery - rolls into the previous point.

Check out the Linear technology devices at Analog Devices.
The LTC4060 does NiMH up to 4 cells, which won't be enough, and you would need to limit the input voltage as it doesn't go to 12V input.

The LTC4079 looks like it will be right up your street though, 4 resistors, 1 capacitor and 1 thermistor, 2.7V to 60V input range, 1.2V to 60V output range, 10mA to 250mA charge current.
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/4079f.pdf
Biggest hassle is it is in a DFN package.

Then in the switching battery chargers there are LT1512, LT1513 and LT1513-2 that would look hopeful. These use more components though.

David C Brown
2018-10-30 18:00:03 UTC
Thank y'all for your comments

First to Art: My etch-a-sketch has been customised by a man in the back of
Glossop market. It has 802.11.ac wi-fi,, 4G connectivity and satellite
connectivity. It is powered by a small water turbine so can be used
anywhere a faucet is available. One bug, that answers Dave's comment, is
that it cannot sustain runs zeros longer than two. For that reason I have
had to negotiate a cut in pay of a penny to avoid a run of six zeros in my
salary advice. :-)

Seriously. I should have specified a NiCad battery since this is part of
my retro 1978 clock and NiMH were not around back them. And it is my
recollection that NiCads can be safely trickled at C/20 albeit with some
degradation.

And on further reflection it might be simpler to use a non rechargeable
battery. A good PP9 will supply about 400mAH which will cover a lot of
short outages.
David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak Phone: 01663 733236
Derbyshire eMail: ***@gmail.com
SK23 7ND web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>

*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*

David Van Horn
2018-10-30 19:04:01 UTC
Some NIMH will "Tolerate" low current overcharge. This requires more catalyst to recombine the hydrogen and oxygen, and these cells usually aren't the highest capacity. Most NIMH cells specify ZERO float current.

Nicad is better in this regard, as well as working over a wider temperature range.

RussellMc
2018-11-02 06:50:34 UTC
On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 at 08:05, David Van Horn <
Post by David Van Horn
Some NIMH will "Tolerate" low current overcharge. This requires more
catalyst to recombine the hydrogen and oxygen, and these cells usually
aren't the highest capacity. Most NIMH cells specify ZERO float current.
Nicad is better in this regard, as well as working over a wider temperature range.
NimH can (could) be trickled at up to about 1600 mAh in AA size. Above
that the recombination material is removed and by about 2000 mAh the
ability to trickle is usually ~~~= zero.

NimH can be clamped at 1.45V usually and 1.4V is safer at <= C/10 charge
rate and be "safe enough" in not too extreme temperatures in most cases
[tm].
(ie the clamp absorbs the current when 1.45V is reached.
Higher charge rates increase the likelihood that the cell will run through
the voltage limit and accept charge indefinitely.
I specify that voltage based on my tests some years ago with as many brands
of rechargeable NimH AA cells as I could obtain and tests from 'room
temperature' to about 50 C.
Capacity is < 100% possible but good enough to be worth the simplicity.

Russell
Harold Hallikainen
2018-10-30 19:06:57 UTC
Post by David C Brown
And on further reflection it might be simpler to use a non rechargeable
battery. A good PP9 will supply about 400mAH which will cover a lot of
short outages.
If you don't power the display, will a supercap hold you over during outages?

Harold
--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com
Not sent from an iPhone.
David C Brown

John Gardner
2018-10-30 23:18:05 UTC
How about a RTG? (Radioisotope Thermal Generator).

They were around in 1978... "8)

Post by David C Brown
I don't think that super caps meet my retro criterion. Components that
were avaialable in 1978
David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge