[EE] Unknown LED current regulator
John Coppens
2018-11-01 13:58:14 UTC
Hello all.

I've been really surprised at the variations of the circuitry inside
LED bulb replacements. A while ago, I bought a couple of bulbs ('Great
Value'-brand, a local Walmart product), which started showing failing
after just a couple of weeks. Opening them up showed that they were
fed by just a (linear) series regulator. So much for green energy.

Now I acquired a couple of OSRAM bulbs, and opened one up just to
investigate. It did have a switching current regulator, but it used
a 4-pin chip for which I could not find any data. In fact, I didn't
find _any_ 4-pin current regulator IC.

I've attached the circuit. I suspect the 1.8 Ohm resistor to be the
current-determining component. Strange is the (I suspect) transformer
which is actually across the LEDs (I'm not positive about it's
internal connections. I measure 10 Ohm across two pins, 14k across
two other pins, but without unsoldering). 12 LEDs (I suspect triplets)
are connected between + and -.

Does anyone have an idea which IC this could be? It's marked 9938F
and S1C01X. No logo as far as I can detect.
Jean-Paul Louis
2018-11-01 16:58:38 UTC
Look for ZFS1009 from diode inc. They use only 4 connections and two resistors
Just a thought,Jean-Paul N1JPL

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 10:00 AM, John Coppens<***@jcoppens.com> wrote: Hello all.

Harrison Cooper
2018-11-01 19:40:53 UTC
It would not surprise me if this was a custom ASIC, OsRAM is a huge company, and already doing ASIC's for other products, and if they are using a older technology...say 56nm for this, this chip would be pennies.

Sean Breheny
2018-11-01 20:07:11 UTC
56nm is an "older technology"? Sure, it is not even close to the latest for
high-end processors, but it was the state-of-the-art in 2006 and I would
think it would be way overkill for small mostly analog ASICs.
Harrison Cooper
2018-11-01 21:21:54 UTC
The problem is many fabs (unless its an inhouse fab) are moving to the smaller geometries, so even tho its overkill (and I do not argue on that) you need someone to be able build it 😊

But John did find the answer. Its actually amazing how many devices are out there, with Asian origins, that we as "western" design engineers have very little insight into.

http://mailman.mit.
Denny Esterline

http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/li
RussellMc
2018-11-02 06:00:30 UTC
Post by Denny Esterline
Not to completely hijack the thread, but speaking of unknown Asian parts,
has anybody been following the adventure of the three-cent microcontroller?
http://youtu.be/Rixo78hv_lw
Padauk PMS171B
Datasheet
http://www.padauk.com.tw/upload/doc/PMS171B_datasheet_EN_v000_20181011.pdf

IDE user manual (Chinese only)
http://www.padauk.com.tw/upload/doc/IDE%20user%20guide_v1.01%20(CN).pdf

Package marking information (English only !)
http://www.padauk.com.tw/upload/doc/PADAUK_Package%20Information_V004_20171103.pdf

MCU selector guide http://www.padauk.com.tw/en/product/method.aspx?num=1

Russell
2018-11-02 10:50:25 UTC
Post by RussellMc
Post by Denny Esterline
Not to completely hijack the thread, but speaking of unknown Asian parts,
has anybody been following the adventure of the three-cent microcontroller?
http://youtu.be/Rixo78hv_lw
Padauk PMS171B
Datasheet
http://www.padauk.com.tw/upload/doc/PMS171B_datasheet_EN_v000_20181011.pdf
IDE user manual (Chinese only)
http://www.padauk.com.tw/upload/doc/IDE%20user%20guide_v1.01%20(CN).pdf
Package marking information (English only !)
http://www.padauk.com.tw/upload/doc/PADAUK_Package%20Information_V004_20171103.pdf
MCU selector guide http://www.padauk.com.tw/en/product/method.aspx?num=1
Russell
I vaguely considered buying 1000, an emulator and a programmer last time I
was in China (Oct), but found the equivalent (small) stack of Y100
notes more compelling.

For my current pursuits, there are some more interesting oddball ones
with good ADCs etc.

--Spehro Pefhany
2018-11-01 21:11:16 UTC
Quoting John Coppens <***@jcoppens.com>:

The chip is made in China by Bright Power (Shanghai).

I doubt there's much point in them exporting the chips to the West.
China and SE Asia is pretty much the world market. 1 reel is 15,000 pieces.

--sp
John Coppens
2018-11-02 05:19:48 UTC
On Thu, 01 Nov 2018 17:11:16 -0400
Post by s***@interlog.com
The chip is made in China by Bright Power (Shanghai).
https://i.imgur.com/PC2pGzD.png
Hi sp.

Thanks for the hint. I downloaded the datasheet (very minimal!)
The circuit is slightly different because of the extra lowpass.

I suspect there is no second winding on the output coil, and
the 14k I measured is likely leakage current in the capacitor.

This is the simplest switcher I ever came across. Even the fact
it gets it power directly from the 300+ Volt line is amazing.

Again, much appreciated... And somewhat surprised and disappointed
Google didn't lead me to it.

BTW, an ad on the page at datasheetspdf.com, offered them in lots
of 25 at $0.1335/ea.

John
2018-11-02 10:45:58 UTC
Post by s***@interlog.com
The chip is made in China by Bright Power (Shanghai).
https://i.imgur.com/PC2pGzD.png
Hi sp.
I really should get around to adding a signature on this webmail nonsense.
Post by John Coppens
Thanks for the hint. I downloaded the datasheet (very minimal!)
The circuit is slightly different because of the extra lowpass.
I suspect there is no second winding on the output coil, and
the 14k I measured is likely leakage current in the capacitor.
This is the simplest switcher I ever came across. Even the fact
it gets it power directly from the 300+ Volt line is amazing.
There are some in TO-92 package! The bulbs have to be made very cheaply.
Post by John Coppens
Again, much appreciated... And somewhat surprised and disappointed
Google didn't lead me to it.
You're welcome.
Post by John Coppens
BTW, an ad on the page at datasheetspdf.com, offered them in lots
of 25 at $0.1335/ea.
John
Judging by other similar products, I suspect the real domestic China price
is a few cents in smallish quantity and more like a penny or two (negotiated
and secret) in actual production volume. Domestic courier package
shipping is maybe Y8-10 ($1 or $1.50).

--Spehro Pefhany
RussellMc
2018-11-02 06:18:45 UTC
Post by John Coppens
Does anyone have an idea which IC this could be? It's marked 9938F
and S1C01X. No logo as far as I can detect.
I looked at the circuit and decided that they had been extravagant with
the pinout - you only need 3 leads for that functionality :-).
An eg SOT23 or smaller may suffice.

And then I found these:

3 leads (albeit 8 pin package)

http://www.fsjingfeng.com/product/show_product.php?id=443
http://www.fsjingfeng.com/product/show_product.php?id=454

4 leads

https://cn.made-in-china.com/tupian/didiwei0601-cvqJweuKCEVm.html

5 leads - fully isolated

https://cn.made-in-china.com/tupian/fszjy8888-hXvmKWulXxkD.html

external FET, current sense external

https://cn.made-in-china.com/tupian/didiwei0601-pveEdCgwAmcR.html

LEGION

https://cn.made-in-china.com/photo/hengliuqudongxinpian-1.html
\
_________________

"S9306/S9308 core flying non-isolated dual color temperature S4223 dual
chip combination version of the periphery is simple and low cost, excellent
quality"

https://cn.made-in-china.com/tupian/didiwei0601-YBMmwigzJnhA.html

Note links & prices at bottom of page!

And on and on and ...

Richard Prosser
2018-11-02 09:36:15 UTC
You could review some of the "Big Clive" videos on youtube. He's taken
apart just about every LED lamp known & discusses the circuit, operation
and failings etc. In most cases he's drawn the schematic & seems to have a
good source of datasheets for the ICs.

RP