[EE] High temperature induction furnace
Manu Abraham
2018-08-17 16:16:02 UTC

Any idea what would the induction coil itself be made of, for such
high temperature induction furnace (1850 degree C) ?

Any clues ?

Thanks,

Manu
Denny Esterline
2018-08-17 16:47:26 UTC
I seen one in the past that the coil was actually tubing and the system
pumped coolant through it continuously.

-Denny
Post by Manu Abraham
Hi,
Any idea what would the induction coil itself be made of, for such
high temperature induction furnace (1850 degree C) ?
http://youtu.be/pOMbgPnHTGc
Any clues ?
Thanks,
Manu
Manu Abraham
2018-08-17 17:01:18 UTC
Hi Denny,

Any idea what was the metal/alloy the coil used and the coolant used
in the tube ?

Thanks,

Manu
Post by Denny Esterline
I seen one in the past that the coil was actually tubing and the system
pumped coolant through it continuously.
-Denny
Hi,
Denny Esterline
2018-08-17 17:21:16 UTC
The one I was around was just simple copper tubing and the coolant was
ethylene glycol and water. For that one, the coolant was delivered in a 55
gallon drum and but curiosity had me read the MSDS sheet at the time - it
appeared to be no different than standard automotive coolant.

Foggy memory, but I believe that was a 50kW foundry and the crucible was
about 10 inches wide and perhaps 12 inches tall. At the time I found the
control cabinet more interesting. Hocky puck IGBTs mounted on copper busbar
perhaps 1/2 inch thick and four inches wide - plus the coolant system had
tubing welded (soldered?) on the busbar as well. There was about 10ft of
"cable" from the control cabinet to the coil. About an inch and a half in
diameter with what looked like flare fittings on the end, the center had a
tube of some sort to pump coolant though surrounded by braided wire for the
current.

The outdoor heat exchanger was about the size of a small car. Two inch
soldered copper tubing run out to it and back.

The beauty of induction heating is that the heat is actually produced in
the work. The coil mostly gets hot from the radiated heat coming from the
work. (mostly :-)

-Denny
Post by Denny Esterline
I seen one in the past that the coil was actually tubing and the system
pumped coolant through it continuously.
-Denny
Hi,