[EE] sleep apnea home test?
Art
2018-04-05 17:22:21 UTC
I've gone through a massive change of lifestyle (diet, weight loss,
realization of the myth that the traditional type doctors, FDA, USDA,
American Diabetes Association, pharmaceutical industry, farming mafia,
Congress, health insurance industry etc) are all lying scum. Many of my
health conditions are drastically improved, just with a proper diet as
specified by Functional Medicine practitioners in the first 3 weeks of
my lifestyle change. I am still in recovery, but.....

My sleep improved, I am curious whether I have need for my CPAP machine
any longer. I need at least a screening test for sleep quality
evaluation, rather than a full blown lab type sleep test.

Sensors to detect breathing patterns (sound recorder), sleep paralysis
(wrist or leg worn accelerometer) and O2 sat meter (finger clip on) and
to data log the results overnight is good enough for my needs at this point.

Has anyone done a PIC program for this purpose? Or maybe someone has a kit??

I would interpret my own results, at least as far as a 'preliminary'
home test/evaluation.

Any ideas?

TY

Art
Denny Esterline
2018-04-05 17:38:50 UTC
Some of the "FitBit" type activity trackers have some kind of sleep
monitoring functionality built in.

The other fairly simple answer would be to time-lapse video yourself sleep
and evaluate it manually after the fact.

-Denny
Art
2018-04-05 19:54:08 UTC
Hi Denny,

The fitbit and Apple monitoring you mention is an accelerometer,
attached to body limbs. They detect how much the patient moves in the
night in order to evaluate whether the patients paralysis is normal
during sleep AND whether the patients eyes open when they are in normal
sleep paralysis. These functions are controlled in a part of the brain
just above the brain stem, and an abnormal correlation often indicates
the patients need for B6. Note that serum B6 in the blood is useless-the
cells have to be examined directly because it's what's on the inside of
the cell that counts! Video and sound perform a similar function and
additionally the sound can monitor breathing to see if breathing
actually stops during sleep!

I ordered a 32 GB SD card for my cell phone and plan to take some
overnight video (with sound) soon.

Regards and ty for the info!

Art
Van Horn, David
2018-04-05 19:59:01 UTC
There are some decent time lapse video apps for android phones.

2018-04-05 20:32:59 UTC
Can we please take this off [EE].

I really think the PICLIST is not a good place to be practicing medicine.

- - Bob Ammerman
RAm Systems

Dr Skip
RussellMc
2018-04-06 00:05:35 UTC
Post by p***@roadrunner.com
Can we please take this off [EE].
I really think the PICLIST is not a good place to be practicing medicine.
​Hat: Admin casual, blend into crowd, has no real power ​
​ ...

I understand the unease and/but feel the discussion is useful and factual
at core.
Some of the opinions are to various extents wandering into the fringe
medical/ conspiracy theory areas (and to various extents may or may not
have merit) ​BUT
the results gained and methods and systems discussed may be useful and seem
minimally risky if used as intelligently as you'd expect (most ? :-) )
list members to use them.

​The requested solutions are EE or EE-related. Change to OT tag would not
do much harm but I'm personally (hat: private crash-helmet) happy with it
in EE.

Bob B may wish to opine. Or not, but hopefully this is seen as list worthy
under some or other tag.

Russell

​Note: I'm not an "alternate medicine aficionado" and look with dismay on
many of the 'products' on the market, but recognise/consider that there are
solutions outside the ken of established western medical practice that have
merit and, sometimes, more merit than current received-truth.

FWIW: Some traditional items are welcomed within the fold over time as
their basis and merit are recognised: To name only a few - willow bark and
'granny smith' apple skin, St John's Wort, ​Ginkgo (maybe :-) ), grapefruit
juice (dangerous stuff sometimes), almonds (but a handful of the wrong sort
can kill a child), ... . Many more.

Hat: bare-headed.

(I was going to make that bear-headed and add a feeble second-amendment
joke but thought better of it).
http://mailman.mit.edu/ma
Denny Esterline
2018-04-06 19:44:38 UTC
Tripped on this this morning.
https://hackaday.io/project/108585-hacking-a-25-nrf51-arm-cortex-activity-tracker
Interesting in it's own right, and somewhat related to this conversation.

Opening a specific make/model of fitness tracker and using it as a general
development platform for that microcontroller.

-Denny
Van Horn, David
2018-04-05 17:43:23 UTC
I would suggest talking to your doctor and getting re-evaluated. There's a lot to it, and while we are smart folks, we aren't (most of us) MDs.

Thereby hangs a tale. I may have told this here before, but I don't remember.

I went to Vegas last summer, and saw the Penn and Teller show. After the show, I bought (among other things) the book "Presto, how I made 100 pounds disappear".
Taking as much as I could out of the book, and talking it over with my doctor (well, we can try it, but keep a close eye on your BP and blood sugar, we can always stop if things start going wrong) I applied the principles expressed by Penn from his diet plan by Ray Cronise.
Passing on this gem of wisdom from Penn verbatim: "If you take medical advice from a juggler, you're an asshole and you deserve to die".

I'm down 60#, most of that happening in 6 weeks. Yes, at the beginning I was loosing more than two pounds a day! It tapers off as you burn those reserves you've been hauling around for years.

Like Penn, I was on multiple meds for high blood pressure, plus I was on insulin for diabetes.
Within a week, I was off my BP meds tracking dead normal.
Within that same week, I no longer needed my insulin, or anything else for my diabetes. My blood sugar is pretty constantly 80 now. A1C is dead normal.
Still loosing weight, just slower now with changes to diet habits and no longer eating "SAD". (Standard American Diet).
I'm still diabetic, the diet didn't change that, but the loss of weight and change in eating habits makes it largely a non-problem. I'm not stressing the system so hard anymore.
I had one blood sugar crash when I decided to step up my game and fast.. Six days in I finally ran out of gas and my blood sugar went below 70. Fasting was EASY.

https://www.amazon.com/Raymond-J.-Cronise/e/B077M8SDDR
https://www.nomeatathlete.com/radio-113/

Chris Smolinski
2018-04-05 17:55:47 UTC
Avoiding the SAD (Standard American Diet) seems to be key. I eat nearly the exact opposite of your diet (Low Carb, High Fat, meat centric with a lot of cheese and green veggies). I started low carb about 18 years ago, and have more or less stayed on it, with some tweaks along the way, most recently a shift towards the high fat end of things, and mixing in some intermittent fasting. I was never diabetic, but likely would have been had I stayed on the SAD. I'm down about 90 lbs from that initial starting point, most of the weight lost in the first year, but losing again with the recent changes. 100 pounds down is my goal, mostly because it is a shiny round number.

Chris Smolinski
Black Cat Systems
Westminster, MD USA
http://www.blackcatsystems.com
Art
2018-04-05 19:39:13 UTC
Chris and John,

Both of your stories nearly perfectly match my experience, thank you for
replying!

I am diabetic, the weight loss and the avoidance of high glycemic index
foods has dropped my fasting BG down to (around) 150 and that's totally
without any insulin now! I used to commonly take 200 to 250 units of
insulin per day to achieve BG readings of 200 or less!!! My
Endocrinologist is still in a state of shock! I now have to see him once
a month as he is concerned about the major changes in my body that have
occurred in such a short period!

My Lymphedema was severe, it is almost non-existant now, I no longer
have to wear compression socks! And the reduced swelling is close to
eliminating the custom footwear I used to need! I now fit into standard
off-the-shelf shoes! I take 1/4 of the blood pressure med as I took just
2 months ago. I lost 80 pounds between June and March, with the vast
majority of the weight dropping shortly after the life style change in
mid January. No soy, no gluten, no dairy, no added sugar (especially
Fructose), no gmo and/or processed grains, no canned or prepared foods.
I recently discovered Functional Medicine practitioners and have studied
their claims significantly. I soon realized that the American people
have been sold out-thanks to the farming mafia, the government, the
pharmaceutical industry, the USDA, the American Diabetes Association,
the American Heart Association, the American Dental Association,
etc....they ALL tell lies to keep us sick and cash flowing into their
purses.  I do not fear fat now, I've seen the light.

I had 4 toes that were due for amputation, today the swelling is gone
and the redness has subsided-my doctor told me I could cancel the
amputation appointment for now.

My doctor wants my thyroid hormone reevaluated, my daily dose will
probably need to be reduced now!!! I now weigh 300 pounds (5'11"), so I
still have another 100 pounds to lose!

High fat, low carb, with proper diet (modified Paleo/Keto) did it for
me. Fat is needed to digest protein and the "cholesterol is bad" myth
has been busted. Cholesterol is only a problem because it is the body's
method of repairing the arteries damaged by man-made vegetable oil,
trans-fats and intentionally contaminated foods. Clogged arteries DO NOT
happen on a proper diet.

Processed vegetable oil directly interferes with the Mytochondrea in
each cell and cells die that would otherwise be healthy. The Microbiomme
is the key to immunity, proper nutrient absorption and inflammation in
the body! Gut bacteria restoration has actually reversed dementia,
Alzheimers and the brain can rebuild and repair itself once the body is
free of the effects of the SAD.

Ever wonder why you feel like sh.t all the time? I thought I was the
only person that felt so miserable-until I learned that more than half
the US population was also afflicted!

Leaky Gut Syndrome is likely significantly reduced, my white blood cell
count is roughly 1/2 of what it used to be just 3 months ago! With the
leaky gut repaired, the food particles that used to reach the blood
stream are no longer leaving the body in a constant state of
distress/alarm/SOS and the body's defense and repair mechanism(s) can
now function during more normalized sleep.

The brain and the body have mechanisms that work to remove toxins and
environmental pollutants, but these systems do not function when the
patient uses the SAD along with gmo, preservatives, food dyes and all
the other poisons that our government still claims are 'safe' (or on the
FDA's GRAS list), the GRAS list is the Generally Regarded as Safe List.

My (very expensive) and advanced allergy tests have been tabled (for the
time being), these allergies often reverse themselves as the body
approaches a more stable and proper condition.

I now sleep better than I have in years, which causes me to wonder if I
still have sleep apnea! Hence my interest in some sort of screening test
for sleep apnea-especially a low budget homebrewed hardware solution.

Is anyone aware of any sleep apnea screening test type hardware,
especially if it can be homebrewed and tested in my own bed?

Regards,

Art
ht
John Gardner
2018-04-05 18:04:03 UTC
I was diagnosed with OSA about 15 years ago, & have a collection

of CPAP machines to show for it. What was actually causing the

problem was an allergy, which OTC diphenhydramine treats quite

effectively - CPAP not necessary. The (VA) sleep lab does'nt believe

this, & refuses to re-test me; it's less trouble to label me "non-compliant".

Per your diabetes - My A1C is 5.7, again no thanks to the VA.

Some good info: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

Good luck.
Bob Blick
2018-04-05 18:26:19 UTC
Hi Art,
I was asked to have an evaluation for sleep apnea and asked my doctor if a logging oximeter would be adequate for this and in my case he said it was OK. Your needs may be different but in my case it was enough to rule out sleep apnea so I was able to skip any further screenings for that. I used a CONTEC CMS50D+ that was unly $35. If you get one, be sure to use the supplied USB cable since it is actually a USB to serial cable even though both ends look USB.

I ran it for three nights and used a bandaid to help secure it to my finger. Download it after each night since it only stores one session.

If you decide to try it, don't get the CMS50D. Get the CMS50D+ it's the logging version.
Maybe combined with an audio recording this would fit enough of your desired criteria.

Friendly regards, Bob

AB, Pearce - UKRI STFC
2018-04-05 22:04:03 UTC
I have seen various app notes about some of these things. IIRC Microchip and ST both have app notes on some of these. At least one of them has a clip on O2 sensor, but I think they were using a commercial hospital one as the application was designed as a lead in to doing hospital instrumentation, but it described what was needed pretty well. I'll try and remember to look out some app note numbers tomorrow.

AB, Pearce - UKRI STFC
2018-04-06 08:44:54 UTC
OK, went looking for app notes, Microchip has a couple of sites to browse ...
http://www.microchip.com/design-centers/medical/applications/wearable-activity-monitors?iesrc=ctr
has design files for various wearable activity monitor devices.
http://www.microchip.com/design-centers/medical lists a whole heap of other applications, glucose meter, pulse oximeter, digital thermometer, etc.

ST has a number of applications as well ...
http://www.st.com/en/applications/medical-and-healthcare.html and click the + by the Portable and Telehealth Monitoring on the right hand side, also gives glucose monitoring, blood pressure and digital thermometer.

Analog devices has a section on healthcare ...
http://www.analog.com/en/applications/markets/healthcare.html looks like it would be worth browsing.

Maxim has a healthcare section ...
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/markets/healthcare.html includes wearables and diagnostic/therapy sections.

NXP seems to have kept away from medical things.

On Semi have some medical applications including portable medical devices ...
http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/content.do?id=16602

TI have a wide range of medical things, the bits of interest are probably all under 'Home healthcare' (includes blood monitoring, thermometry & CPAP).
http://www.ti.com/applications/industrial/medical/overview.html

I think that is about it from the links I have saved.
RussellMc
2018-04-08 23:03:32 UTC
Post by AB, Pearce - UKRI STFC
OK, went looking for app notes, Microchip has a couple of sites to browse ...
​Related, maybe.

​HP are extensively involved in medical electronics.
Long ago but still useful they published a very detailed description of
pulse oximtery and what they had had to do to produce devices that at least
give the appearance of working well. It's much more magic than it appears
at a glance although you can buy $20 devices on ebay that may be somewhat
useful. ​As a bonus changes of altitude (and thus air pressure) shift the
body's operating point on the oxyhaemoglobin uptake/release curve and thus
how the PO interprets what it sees.

Russell
http
Forrest Christian (List Account)
2018-04-06 01:31:38 UTC
I don't know which CPAP machine you have but if you have a reasonably
recent machine, and especially if it is an Automatic CPAP (APAP), it
basically is doing a sleep study every night.

I personally use a Resmed Airsense 10. It logs data continuously while
it's in operation. It also 'scores' apneas and other similar events, so
you can actually tell how many arousal events you're having every night and
what type, and at what pressure they occured, and your breathing patterns
around those apneas and so on. It's actually a really cool thing to look
at what data is actually being logged and to learn about how to interpret
them.

Some enterprising person has written some software to display an analyze
all of this data (the machines often hide the data) for certain machines.
Search for 'sleepyhead cpap' to find it. There are also a few apnea
forums out there, with lots of people who could help you analyze the data.

I also have a compatible logging oximeter (a specific CMS model - I'd tell
you which one but I'm travelling and it's at home) which I will on occasion
wear all night to verify my o2 levels. If it's a compatible one,
sleepyhead will let you import the data to match it up with your cpap data
and tell when you're low in relation to what is going on with your sleep.

Having the above data has proven invaluable to be able to monitor the
status of my sleep. I know from looking at the data that I still need the
CPAP. If I saw that the machine wasn't detecting blocked airways (and
increasing the pressure as a result), I'd then know that at the very
minimum I could possibly reduce pressure on the CPAP, if not discontinue it
altogether. But, I'd probably still go for a sleep study before
discontinuing altogether.
Post by Art
[...]
*Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
***@imach.com | http://www.packetflux.com
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian> <http://facebook.com/packetflux>
<http://twitter.com/@packetflux>
Brooke Clarke
2018-04-06 17:28:23 UTC
Hi Art:

I looked into a way to monitor REM sleep where the classical method was eye movement.
http://www.prc68.com/I/Sensors.shtml#REM
Experiment showed that near IR works since the eyelid is transparent around 1000 nm.  There were some kits that added IR
sensing to a sleep mask to record eye movement aimed at "lucid dreaming".

I have a sleep monitor made by Zeo that uses a small unit attached with an elastic band on the forehead.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeo,_Inc.
It has electrical contacts to measure brain activity.

I also found that an OnSet G-pendant accelerometer attached to a headband works.
http://www.prc68.com/I/GPend.shtml#App
This is a clunky version of a fit-bit device.

I spent a lot of time studying diet and nutrition that was inspired by the first book by Gary Taubes.  While his
debunking of many "established" ideas I see as valid, his ideas of what should replace them is flawed.
http://www.prc68.com/I/DietNutrition.html
A major study (n=600+ people) at Stanford has just concluded and my summary would be we don't have a clue about weight
gain/loss in relation to diet.

I say that because in the prior ATOZ study at Stanford and this one the variation inside each diet far exceeded the
difference between diets.  That's to say on each diet some people lost a lot of weight and others on the same diet
gained a lot of weight.
The net study included some genetic markers, but none of them even correlated with weight gain or loss.  Note most
studies end up showing correlations, the number of studies that talk about causation probably can be counted on one
hand.  The only study that I know of that showed causation was in the relation between sugar and diabetes.
http://www.prc68.com/I/DietNutrition.html#Correlation_vs._Causation

PS there are different CPAP machines and at least one of them has an evaluation mode.
--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com