[EE} old components
David C Brown
2018-10-20 15:50:30 UTC
I am building a digital clock with Nixie tube display for a friend and we
have decided that we will not use any components which were not available
in 1978 (the year we started work together, me as a hardware designer, her
as a software engineer)

My problem is that i cannot remember what CMOS chips were available 40
years ago. I am fairly sure that the CD4000 series was established by then
but cannot remember if the Texax HC74 series had been released.

Anybody got a really good memory or, even better, old data books?
David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak Phone: 01663 733236
Derbyshire eMail: ***@gmail.com
SK23 7ND web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>

*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
John Gardner
2018-10-20 16:08:20 UTC
Memory claims 4000-series CMOS ICs have been around

for about 50 years - Wikipedia thinks so too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4000-series_integrated_circuits

Memory also claims the "A" series were pretty fragile; "B"s

noticeably less so. 74HC came along much later, IIRC -

Perhaps 35 years ago?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HCMOS
George Smith
2018-10-20 16:56:46 UTC
Post by David C Brown
My problem is that i cannot remember what CMOS chips were available 40
years ago. I am fairly sure that the CD4000 series was established by then
but cannot remember if the Texax HC74 series had been released.
Anybody got a really good memory or, even better, old data books?
Texas TTL databook (Second European Edition) 1977 only list 74, 74L and
74LS. In the 1980 (fourth edition) supplement I can see some 74H and
74S but no HC.

George Smith
David Strumpf
2018-10-20 17:10:00 UTC
I believe we started using 74HC by 1994-1986.

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

David Strumpf
2018-10-20 17:11:00 UTC
Started using 74HC in mid-80's. 1984-1986

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

John Gardner

Spehro
2018-10-20 23:41:31 UTC
4000 series CMOS was well established. Nixie drivers were available in the TTL series, maybe LSTTL. I don’t think 74HC had been introduced, but maybe 74C was available. Internet sources say early 1980s for 74HC. You should be able to use the ‘B’ buffered gates rather than the earlier unbuffered.

I actually built a two digit Nixie tube counter using 4000 series CMOS chips sometime in the early 1970s and it’s still kicking around somewhere. Nice new (at the time) socketed Japanese Nixie tubes. Almost surely used discrete MPSA42 to drive the cathodes.

You can find the RCA COS/MOS manuals online- here is 1979:

https://ia801802.us.archive.org/27/items/RcaCosmosIntegratedCircuitsManual/RcaCosmosIntegratedCircuitsManual.pdf

You can also find the 1972 manual online. I think I have a 1973 paper version. Motorola was another major supplier.

-sp

Sent from a Microsoft, Android or Apple device
(Either mobile or desktop)
http://mailman.mit.edu/ma
Harold Hallikainen
2018-10-20 18:46:00 UTC
Post by David C Brown
I am building a digital clock with Nixie tube display for a friend and we
have decided that we will not use any components which were not available
in 1978 (the year we started work together, me as a hardware designer, her
as a software engineer)
My problem is that i cannot remember what CMOS chips were available 40
years ago. I am fairly sure that the CD4000 series was established by then
but cannot remember if the Texax HC74 series had been released.
Anybody got a really good memory or, even better, old data books?
I remember the CD4000 series and 74C series around the same time. I think
National did the 74C, while Motorola did CD4000. I used to have a GIANT
Motorola integrated circuit book. Really thick book with thin pages. The
HC series came later, but I don't remember how much later. The CD4000 and
74C operated over a wide voltage range (something like 3V to 15V, while
the 74HC only operated up to 5V --- from memory).

There WERE clock chips in 1978. Here's a design I did in 1977:
http://bh.hallikainen.org//wiki/uploads/HaroldHallikainen/20130416125339_Part7.pdf

Harold
--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com