[EE] Vacuum tube (valve) pin diameter
Bob Blick
2018-03-28 16:58:28 UTC
Anyone know the spec for pin diameter of a 9 pin miniature vacuum tube such as the 12AX7A? I'm measuring about .040" but I can't find a spec for what it should be or what the tolerance is.

Thanks!

Bob
Jean-Paul Louis
2018-03-28 17:36:05 UTC
Hi Bob,

Noval type tubes pins were always 1.016mm or 0.040in nominal.
I can’t remember the tolerance of the pins, but most likely I would say
0.040 +/- 0.001 would be state of the art technology of these times.

Just my two cents,
Jean-Paul
N1JPL
Van Horn, David
2018-03-28 18:04:54 UTC
The pin sockets were pretty forgiving.

I don't have one handy but a copy of the RCA Receiving tube manual should have that info if anything will.

Van Horn, David
2018-03-28 18:08:07 UTC
http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/RC30.pdf

2018-03-28 20:35:26 UTC
The IEC 67-I-12a specification calls for a 36-degree angle between the
nine pins of 1.016 mm thickness, in an arc of diameter 11.89 mm.

Regards,

Jim
Bob Blick
2018-03-28 21:31:45 UTC
I guess the tolerance is pretty close since they used so many decimal places!

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Friendly regards,

2018-03-28 22:14:08 UTC
Yeah, the pin diameter resolution is 1 micrometer. That's pretty
small.
I wouldn't think the pins would be all that critical, but maybe they
are.

Regards,

Jim
Van Horn, David
2018-03-28 22:29:41 UTC
Look at a tube socket. The ones I remember were leaf springs and hardly critical.

However, the pin diameter tolerance may be an artifact of how the wires are sealed into the glass. I've been learning a bit about that, and it's way more complicated than I would have thought.