[PIC] Unable to add / view Global Symbols in watch window when debugging (MPLAB-X)
Dwayne Reid
2018-01-19 22:50:39 UTC
Good day to all.

The following is a post I recently made on the Microchip Forums. No
help there, so I'm trying here.

The only suggestion from the forum was to make sure that I had the
"Program in Absolute Mode" box checked - it was. No other suggestions so far.

Original post follows:

I am a long-timer user of MPLAB - all versions prior to
MPLAB-X. Most recent projects are built using MPLAB 8.92.

However, I want to use debug hardware that operates only with
MPLAB-X. I'm biting the bullet and trying to wrap my head around the
new paradigm. I've just upgraded MPLAB-X to version 4.05.

My current problem is that I can't see Global Symbols when adding
variables to a watch window. My source is straight assembler, built
in Absolute mode. All variables are declared using a "cblock / endc"
section in my code. I'm not using re-locatable code nor am I using the linker.

How to force MPLAB-X to make Global Symbols available for use in watch windows?

Many thanks!

dwayne
--
Dwayne Reid <***@planet.eon.net>
Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd Edmonton, AB, CANADA
Anthony Nixon
2018-01-20 01:41:35 UTC
I am only using MPLAB X 4.01 for assembler code. It works ok but the
editor is a bit quirky at times.

Menu items:

Windows -> Debugging -> Watches

Right click on watch window to add a watch

cheers

Tony
2018-01-20 01:49:51 UTC
Use relocatable code and the linker 😊

I'm afraid that absolute code is a thing of the past (although I am personally a fan of it). The problem you are having probably relates to the fact that cblock simply defines some numeric values for symbols, it doesn't really 'allocate' memory. It is more like "C"s 'enum' than anything else (in fact, I have been known to use it to declare enums).

- - Bob Ammerman

RAm Systems

Dwayne Reid < <mailto:***@planet.eon.net> ***@planet.eon.net>

Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd Edmonton, AB, CANADA

780-489-3199 voice 780-487-6397 fax 888-489-3199 Toll Free

<http://www.trinity-electronics.com> www.trinity-electronics.com

Custom Electronics Design and Manufacturing

http://mailman.mit
Michael Johnston

<http://www.piclist.com/techref/piclist> http://www.piclist.com/techref/piclist PIC/SX FAQ & list archive View/change your membership options at <http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist> http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist
http://ma
Dwayne Reid
2018-01-21 01:49:25 UTC
Hi there, Bob.

Call me stupid today, but I honestly don't know
how to change my code to relocatable. Can you
point me towards resources that describe the
process of migrating from Absolute code to Relocatable?

I'd even go so far as to offer money for someone
to take my existing code and massage it into the
proper form. That would make it easier for me to
migrate other projects to Relocatable.

Many thanks!

dwayne
code and the linker ð­"‚‚ˆ‚’IÛHYœ˜ZYhat absolute
[...]
windows‚ˆ‚“X[žH[šÜÈB‚ˆ‚™Ø^[™B‚ˆ‚‹KH‚‘wayne