[PIC]: I2C Communications With A BMP180 Temperature/Pressure/Altitude Sensor
j***@jpes.com
2018-03-20 16:15:16 UTC
All,

Does anyone have any experience with this sensor? I have tried
getting the temperature and pressure
conversions to work, but I'm having no luck so far. I am using
MikroCPro for PIC compiler with the I2C
library. to write my program. I can get the unit ID and the
calibration data from EEPROM. But no matter
what I do, I cannot get the temperature or pressure values.
I've looked on the web for examples, and I'm believe I'm doing
everything correctly. I was just
wondering if there is something that I'm missing. If anyone has any
ideas, please let me know.

Thanks all,

Regards,

Jim
Bob Blick
2018-03-20 17:17:54 UTC
Hi Jim,

Were you able to find any examples on the web for PIC? If not, you could get the BMP180 library for Arduino and port it or just see what they are doing so you can fix your code.

Bob

Roger Morrell
2018-03-20 17:29:16 UTC
I did some work around this a while back. From memory there was a problem with some of the Bosch code as it used shifting to divide and this did not work properly when doing negative numbers.

I was using it to calculate altitude and
Sent from my iPhone
Roger Morrell
2018-03-20 17:54:28 UTC
I was interrupted and accidentally cut off my message

And to get an accurate reading you need to do the temperature calculations. I decked that while the BMP 180 might be an industry standard there are other sensors that will do the temp compensation in hardware

I was able to read the values Ok the issue was in doing the compensation calculations

Roger

Sent from my iPhone
2018-03-20 17:45:14 UTC
Bob,

Yes, I found several examples on the web, for several different
processors, and in several
different programming languages. My methods are similar to the
examples I have found.
I will try looking at the Arduino library though. Thanks for the tip.

Neil
2018-03-20 17:52:23 UTC
I was about to suggest the same thing... but other than just porting the
library, you can install/run this on an Arduino and logic-analyze to see
what I2C messages are going back and forth.

This worked well for me when trying to clear up some confusion with the
APA102 datasheet.

Cheers,
-Neil.
Clint Jay
2018-03-20 17:58:45 UTC
I keep an arduino handy for exactly that purpose, while the code and
examples are often terrible, they usually work and can give valuable
insight into how to do it better.
Post by j***@jpes.com
Bob,
Yes, I found several examples on the web, for several different
processors, and in several
different programming languages. My methods are similar to the
examples I have found.
I will try looking at the Arduino library though. Thanks for the tip.
Regards,
Jim
Were you able to find any examples on the web for PIC? If not, you
could get the BMP180 library for Arduino and port it or just see what they
are doing so you can fix your code.
Bob
2018-03-20 17:53:33 UTC
Roger,

Thanks for your response. But just to be clear, I'm not using Bosch
code at all, and I'm not having
calculation problems. My immediate issue is that I can't read the
Temperature / Pressure results
registers in the BMP180. I can read the EEPROM just fine and can read
the calibration coefficients\
without any trouble. I can also read the ID register without any
trouble. Only when I start a
temperature or pressure conversion, wait the appropriate amount of time
for the conversion to complete,
I'm currently using 25ms to be sure, and then try to read the results
do I have a problem. My code
basically just hangs up.

I'm going to keep plugging away and trying different things until I get
it working. I have ordered a
couple more sensors just in case there is something wrong with the one
I have. I may be chasing an
internal problem with the sensor, ie.. It might have gotten damaged
somehow. I have had it for a while
and it has been stashed in a cabinet for some time, so getting damaged
is not out of the question.

Regards,

Jim
Manu Abraham
2018-03-20 18:34:50 UTC
Hi Jim,

Looking at the BMP180 datasheet, do you see the Slave ACK's from the BMP180 ?

Additionally, according to the datasheet, to read the converted
result, you need to read with a REPEATED START
as described in Figure9: Timing diagram read 16 bit A/D conversion result.

ie, you cannot read the result register, the same way you are reading
the ID register, to put it simple.

The normal read will put a STOP bit after your first read, which will
mess things completely.

Cheers,

Manu
2018-03-20 18:47:44 UTC
Manu,

Looking at the BMP180 datasheet, do you see the Slave ACK's from the
BMP180 ?
YES. The first data byte coming back is 0xFF which shouldn't be.

Additionally, according to the datasheet, to read the converted result,
you need
to read with a REPEATED START as described in Figure9: Timing diagram
read 16 bit
A/D conversion result.
NOTED. However, I've tried it both ways, ie.. using a RESTART, and
using START.
Either way, the result is the same. The first byte back is 0xFF.

The normal read will put a STOP bit after your first read, which will
mess things completely.
The library in MikroCPro does not put a stop after a read. You put a
stop function
where you need it when you're done communicating. This is also
verified when looking
on the scope as I'm monitoring the SDA and SCK signals.

I do appreciate your insight. I'll look again at the points you make
just to be sure.

Regards,

Jim
Manu Abraham
2018-03-20 19:10:02 UTC
Hi Jim,

One more hint: If the Initiator does not put a STOP but, if

1) there is no REPEATED_START, the RD can fail
2) if the REPEATED_START is not there in time and if the SLAVE assumes TIMEOUT,
depending upon the I2C implementation on the SLAVE, it could in some
cases assume
a STOP bit. With some SLAVE's it is described as AUTOSTOP

The whole point is that the slave does not see a STOP or assume a
TIMEOUT -> AUTOSTOP
Additionally, you need the REPEATED_START

I2C reads longer than 8 bits can be tricky and is dependant on the
implementation

Sometime back, it was a nightmare to get the i2c on the stb0899 working;
it had a mix of 8, 16, 24 and 32bit wide registers; you need different
read/write
routines as well. You can get an idea from this example:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/media/dvb-frontends/stb0899_drv.c

When you are dealing with more than 8bits wide registers on the I2C
bus, it's better to
be extra cautious

Cheers,

Manu
Manu,
Manu Abraham
2018-03-20 20:00:47 UTC
Hi Jim,

When you mention that you read 0xFF, it implies that the address phase
is incomplete most likely

Please not that, some Bus Master's have broken REPEATED_START's.
In such cases, the workaround is to use an additional START instead,
which has worked in all my situations till now.

https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/BST-BMP180-DS000-09.pdf

You need to do the complete transaction, exactly in the same order.
as described in the datasheet.

W (S + slave_address 7b)
W (reg_address)
R (S + slave_address 7b)
READ result
READ result

W=Write Bit
R=Read Bit
S=START bit

The W is nothing but the absence of the READ flag, but I put W in there to
make it a bit more clear.

The 2nd write of the SLAVE_ADDR, you need to set the READ flag in there too.
After which you can read both the result registers.

If your transaction is borked in some way, you will get 0xFF.

Also, important to note that the result accuracy can be extended to 19bits.
How to read 19bits is defined only in the Bosch software alone.

Cheers,

Manu
Manu,